Anyone here have a Puma 12V Air Compressor?

bluehash

Adventurer
I had one of these in a 4Runner I had many years ago and liked it so much that I bought another one for my JK. In the 4Runner I separated the tank from the compressor and shoehorned them into the massive empty space in the rear fender above the wheelwell, but for my JK I've kept it together and I just toss it in the rear footwell when I'm loading up for a trip. I wired up a quick-connect to my under-rear-seat auxiliary battery. It's too big to permanently mount anywhere on the Jeep - it just takes up too much valuable space. It's a very fast compressor and has been perfectly reliable. The small pressure tank is a real nice addition. I can usually fill the 35" tires on 2 vehicles in the amount of time the common Smittybilt "high flow" can fill a single set of 33's. For the price, it just can't be beat!

Thanks for the review!

RoyJ

Adventurer
Count me in as well if there's going to be a group buy. Any idea on the price? I see the regular sales price is $229...

RoyJ

Adventurer
I can usually fill the 35" tires on 2 vehicles in the amount of time the common Smittybilt "high flow" can fill a single set of 33's. For the price, it just can't be beat!

Geoff, are you referring to the Smittybilt that's rated 2.54 CFM or the 5.65 CFM?

Not that I believe any of those ratings, I'm sure they're "marketing CFM", rated at 0 psi and the alternator cranked to 14.8V...

Hard to find comparisons between the Smittybilt and Puma, because one only rates free flow CFM, and the other only rates operating psi CFM. I'm still leaning towards the Puma by looks alone (I know, not exactly scientific)

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
Geoff, are you referring to the Smittybilt that's rated 2.54 CFM or the 5.65 CFM?

Sorry about that - I was referring to the standard little red MV-50 that almost everyone seems to have, not the big new one. By published specs the 5.65CFM model is faster than the Puma, but as specs between all these Chinese compressors can vary, plus with the big buffer of the pressure tank, I think the Puma compressor will hold its own against the big Smittybilt. I have no experience with the big Smittybilt though.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I'd get in on that. Has anyone mounted one in a JK? I have a compressor mount for the engine bay but it's more for an MV50 or ARB sized compressor. This one seems a lot bigger. I like the compressor, I just wouldn't want it if there was no good place to mount it.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Actually, it may fit on the DS of a 3.6L JK. These are the dimensions.

Here are some specs:
Specs:

125 PSI
oil-Less compressor
Pressure Switch
Compact, lightweight 28 lbs
3.4 cfm @ 40 psi
3 cfm @ 90 psi

Dimentions: 15" High, 14" Long, 5" Deep
Dimentions of Tank Only 6-1/2" High, 14" Long, 5" Deep
Dimentions of Compressor/Motor : 11" High, 14" Long, 5" deep
100% Duty Cycle
30 amp draw
1750 rpm
60 dec noise level
23 lbs 1 Year warranty

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
This could be a very good option.

Remote mount the evap canister, and there is enough room to run two of those tanks end to end, or a custom built tank in that area, with a skid plate over top for protection.
Hmmmmm! :safari-rig:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78