Anyone here in CA with an imported 1985 or older Diesel Defender?

alosix

Expedition Leader
Trying to find the details on registering one of these in CA.

if anyone happens to have one here on the board I'd love to hear how you got it tagged. Fed and most states seem cool. But the CARB site makes it sound like they are trying to stop you :(

I've been talking to Duncan @ Rover Imports, he seems to think its ok and says he has a contact out here that knows more.

FWIW.. I'm looking at importing a 300tdi converted 110 that's a 'legal' age.

Thanks,
Jason

JP7161

Not sure first hand but I think Eric from Norcal Relics wasn't able to get it done and ended up selling the truck out of state.

alosix

Expedition Leader
I'll see if I can track that down. CA seems to just plain hate diesel anything. Seems soo odd, a 30+mpg SUV and they have something against it.

I'll just have to move out to some more sane place :)

Jason

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Unfortunately that "worst air quality in the nation" and the 40+ carcinogens and particulate matter.. Unfortunately diesel fuel really is quite dirty, unfortunately...

rugbier

Adventurer
Go to D90 there are quite few members in Cali with 200 and 300 TDI, I believe there are 2 with TD5.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Have you ever driven a diesel in a Defender? The idea sounds sexy but it isn't all it is cracked up to be. If you really want to go this route, why not get a pre-smog series truck?

alosix

Expedition Leader
Have you ever driven a diesel in a Defender? The idea sounds sexy but it isn't all it is cracked up to be. If you really want to go this route, why not get a pre-smog series truck?

What would be soo bad about a 200 or 300Tdi defender?

Haven't driven one yet.

Jason

garrett

Supporting Sponsor
What would be soo bad about a 200 or 300Tdi defender?

Haven't driven one yet.

Jason

How do you plan on using the truck? Daily driver, trail vehicle, mixed use, etc.

I drive a 300tdi D130 from time to time and it's great on the trails and anything up to highway speeds, but it has plenty of turbo lag. Once you start having to deal with hills you're going to have to get use to going slow and gearing down quite a bit.

I'd still take it over a gas motor any day as long as it's not being used as a daily driver. Even with 33s it gets well into the high 20s.

We also run bio in it.

alosix

Expedition Leader
How do you plan on using the truck? Daily driver, trail vehicle, mixed use, etc.

I drive a 300tdi D130 from time to time and it's great on the trails and anything up to highway speeds, but it has plenty of turbo lag. Once you start having to deal with hills you're going to have to get use to going slow and gearing down quite a bit.

I'd still take it over a gas motor any day as long as it's not being used as a daily driver. Even with 33s it gets well into the high 20s.

We also run bio in it.

Good to know.
This would be another vehicle in addition to the Jeep and the mostly DD WRX.

I'd probably be hell bent on trying to tune out the turbo lag though :)..

Would mostly be a trail and long distance travel vehicle. Drove an over loaded TJ with M101 trailer behind it across the country. I KNOW what going slow up hills is like. :)

Jason

Oxcart13

Observer
Originally Posted by GYM View Post
I agree.

y'all obviously haven't driven any TD5 defenders.

X2. I have a hopped up 4.6 in my D90 and TD5 in the 110. I like'em both and wouldn't characterize the TD5 as slugish.

Mark

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Although I cannot say anything about the TD5, I can attest to the 200 and 300TDi's. I have been researching what to put into my Series III. I considered a 300TDi but with a family of 7 and most likely pulling a small trailer for gear, I considered the diesel motors to be too slow for American highways. So I am most likely settling for a 4.8 vortec.

I am PMing you a copy of an email regarding a diesel conversion in California so check your PM's in a second.

jrose609

Explorer
Although I cannot say anything about the TD5, I can attest to the 200 and 300TDi's. I have been researching what to put into my Series III. I considered a 300TDi but with a family of 7 and most likely pulling a small trailer for gear, I considered the diesel motors to be too slow for American highways. So I am most likely settling for a 4.8 vortec.

I am PMing you a copy of an email regarding a diesel conversion in California so check your PM's in a second.

Could you email me a copy of that too? I live in Idaho, but I'm gathering as much info as possible on 300tdi's and conversions. I'm assuming you are talking about the legality ????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan