Anyone purchase a new unit lately?

jopatco

I'll be in Denver shortly to check out several new pop-up TC's. Being a complete novice at pop-ups, I'm as nervous as a cat in a rocking chair factory. I'm sure I'll miss some points I should have considered.

Is there anything I should especially watch for when inspecting these units (good or bad)?
I know to pay attention to GVWR with options, CG, living space, size of tanks, etc. But is there something that really affects daily life in a TC that most neophytes like me seem to miss?
Apparently the RV business is booming right now. So, I'm curious as to how long a wait is reasonable. Also, I'd be interested if anyone has a feel for how firm the dealers are with their pricing in these boom times.

I've learned a lot reading this forum, so I hope you folks can help me out.
Thanks for any info.

bill harr

Adventurer
Ask your self how will you use the camper. Off road or just RV campgrounds or a mixture. How many at one time in the camper. Lots of choice out there. On the west coast the big players are Four Wheel Camper and All Terrain Campers. Both good units with some differences. Be sure to check out Wander the West, they have a forum on most of the major brands. I love my FWC Hawk but would make some changes for me if buying new. I did go the FWC Rally every camper was different set up the way the owner wanted.

Good luck in your search.

Bill in STockton

trailnewt

Windows: How many are there and how big are they? Maybe not so important if all your camping is in nice weather but, for some of us, waiting out a rainstorm in a dark little box is difficult.
Brent

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
We picked up our FWC Grandby from the Woodland factory last December. We did a lot of touching and feeling before that to get a feel for how different manufacturers put their product together. Once we decided on an FWC, I exchanged so many emails with questions with each answer generating more questions until we decided on the configuration and options we needed and wanted based on how we thought we'd use it. Can't speak for the others but FWC doesn't deal on price. Go to the website add up what you want and that's your cost plus taxes and installation. Since getting it I've added another set up Yakima racks to the top along with a Basketcase to carry light things on the roof. It took a few trips to figure out how to load it most efficiently. We're completely happy with our Grandby and the FWC folks have been great to deal with.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I'm definitely not a new purchaser, but being a local, I wanted to make sure your visit list includes:

Hallmark (built in Brighton/Fort Lupton)
http://www.hallmarkrv.com/

Phoenix (built in Commerce City/Denver, specialize in moderately-priced custom builds)
http://phoenixpopup.com/

Outfitter (higher-profile with heated, basement storage tanks--built in Longmont)
http://www.outfittermfg.com/

There is an FWC (popular, lightweight, more minimalistic campers) dealership in Arvada:
http://rockymountainfourwheelcampers.com/

While you're here, might as well stop by the Earthroamer factory in Longmont to oggle:
http://earthroamer.com/

There are several, large RV dealerships around Longmont on I-25, around Wheatridge on I-70 and in Brighton that stock makes like Palomino, Northstar and others.

As others have mentioned, try to decide which amenities and features mean the most to you, how much of the year and in what climates you'll be using it, how much space you need and how much you want to spend. Then look at plenty of examples and see what's the best fit for you.

Last edited:

Kowboy

Adventurer
That's like askin' if you should buy a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge.

FWIW, here's what I just went thru:

Made a list of exactly what I wanted out of the camper. Then prioritized it. Then studied all the manufacturer websites, forums, u-tube videos, reviews, etc and seen which ones met my needs the best. Then visited the fact'ries for a tour and hands-on experience with the units. Then talked about the price and deli'vry schedule. Then wrote out a check ... and now tryin' my best to patiently wait.

I pick up my new made-to-order Hallmark Milner in 32 more days.

jopatco

Thanks guys - you gave me a lot of good information there. I guess I'm just nervous about dropping close to 100K on a new truck and camper and just want to make sure I haven't forgot something. But, it looks like I'm in pretty good shape. Thanks again.

UHAULER

Explorer
Thanks guys - you gave me a lot of good information there. I guess I'm just nervous about dropping close to 100K on a new truck and camper and just want to make sure I haven't forgot something. But, it looks like I'm in pretty good shape. Thanks again.

If your budget is around 100k I would be looking at an XP Camper.

driller

old soul wanderer
Spend a lot of time sitting in it. Lay on the bed for a while, go through the motions of making a meal sit on the crapper is there enough room? Can you get around the dinette? Don't get to excited everything being new it's only new until you leave the lot.

jopatco

I thought about the XP, but I want something I can drop off easily. (and the 100k was a worse-case scenario).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior