Anyone run a 4-linked airbag setup?

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
So as most projects do, I started researching air bags and ended up looking a 2-3K in suspension as my searching progressed. Based on a lot of my research I'll hit some high notes and ask for peoples opinions on the subject..

Things to consider.. At this point I daily drive the truck (2008 F350 Crew Cab Long bed on 37s) and probably will still drive it around. Meaning it won't be a dedicated expo truck, it'll have to be a multi use. Hence why I don't just want to add airbags for heavy loads only. The right setup could ride like a dream stock all the way up to GVW.

1. Only way an Airbag betters the ride is to remove leafs from the factory spring setup
2. removing leafs greatly increases the need for traction bars
3. traction bars kill ground clearance and break over

4. Considering running an all airbag parallel 4-link setup like the one in the picture below... a triangulated 4-link also crossed my mind but I believe this would not be the most road friendly However I have NO experience with a triangulated system.

Concerns... Lateral forces / articulation with a moderately heavy load off-road.

So what do you guys have to say about all this? Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 129_1104_11_o129_1104_april_2011_parts_rackchassis_tech_air_ride_towing_suspension.jpg
    129_1104_11_o129_1104_april_2011_parts_rackchassis_tech_air_ride_towing_suspension.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I've been in Fontaine air ride trucks and Chassis tech. http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/1003or-chassis-tech-ford-super-duty-air-bag-kit/ Both of those trucks handled inferiorly to the stock setup. They also offer less travel and rode worse than stock. The truck is designed for leaf springs. I haven't seen a kit that truly offers as much axle stability as the leafs. Especially when those pathetic race truck Heim joints wear loose. Personally, I think the 2008+ long spring trucks ride pretty nice.
-
Remove your overload springs if you have them. Do NOT remove any regular leaf springs on a 2008! Add Carli long travel bags if you need flex and offroad a lot http://www.carlisuspension.com/ford-super-duty/components/longtravelairbags.html . Or Use Airlifts inboard frame Ultimate kit for decent flex and leveling. Or use airlifts over spring kit for maximum load handling and reduced roll with a bed camper. http://www.airliftcompany.com/ Regular air spring kits reduce down travel. A good thing for loaded off roading, as maximum travel makes the truck tippy. My offroading doesn't require much flex lately, so I've been leaving my bags on. They do improve the ride when loaded. And have no effect unloaded.
-
Q1. Only way an Airbag betters the ride is to remove leafs from the factory spring setup
A1: Sure. And that has worked ok on some GM's. I don't recommend it with the 2008 Fords. Those aren't exactly harsh anyways. They do improve the ride when your loaded heavy. Eliminating porposeing completely and reducing the harsh hit you sometimes get from the trailer bouncing.
Q2. removing leafs greatly increases the need for traction bars
A2: Yeah, bad idea. Use long travel arched rear springs and eliminate the blocks.
Q3. traction bars kill ground clearance and break over
A3: Don't drive your truck like a Mustang and you don't ever need them.

Q 4. Considering running an all airbag parallel 4-link setup like the one in the picture below... a triangulated 4-link also crossed my mind but I believe this would not be the most road friendly However I have NO experience with a triangulated system.
A4: Parallel 4 link with a monster sized track bar is the only feasible choice. Triangle links ain't so hot for towing IME.
If you do find an airride kit company. Make sure you drive and tow with their truck first. Both of the examples I drove were 100% pogo stick bouncy garbage compared to properly spec'd leaf springs and helper airride setups. Quality shocks will be key. Most of the internet reviews I've read of pure airbag setups, mirrored my current opinion.

Your pictured unit looks suspiciously like a Chassis Tech POS. If it don't fit, heat it with a torch. That's the quality of their stuff.

Last edited:

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
This leaves me with only one other problem... Do I Add traction bars and sacrifice the G.C.? I'm axle wrapping pretty bad at 450-500hp and 9000lbs.

I side note, the truck has a 4.5" icon kit on it right now... I'd love to swap that out to a full Carli coil over system and maybe there long travel bags but that's some coin for sure!

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Maybe. I'd remove the blocks and use custom arched leaf springs for your rated load first. Removing the blocks removes a lot of the leverage.
-
since the 2008+ spring is so wide, compared to normal springs. A good aftermarket spring should fix it. I've never actually experienced significant axle wrap with those year Fords. Must me a worn out spring, that's a lot of steel to bend. Make sure your problem is actually wrap. I'm not sure how to witness it for sure, short of using a Go-pro camera under the truck to record the spring twisting.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
Traction bars are suppose to be night and day difference in shifting, power transfer, ect.. I frequent the forums of high horse power trucks quite often so maybe the application here and there are a bit different.

Flys Lo

Adventurer
Does your lift kit just have taller blocks in the rear? If so, replacing that with a spring only lift (or at least a lift with much smaller blocks) will help a great deal with axle wrap.

Traction bars alone don't really affect GC/break over angle like a bagged 4-link kit will, but are likely to limit articulation.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
No articulation limits with one up offroad... But they will hang lower and greatly hinder break over points. Have a look at their web page if your not sure what I mean. If you we're to offroad much I'd bet you'd hang the mounts and/or bend the bars fairly easily.

A four link should have more ground clearance and is shorter to not hinder breakover.

Betarocker

Adventurer
I run OUO bars. Bolt on style, adaptable length, with large gusset. Ground clearance or getting hung up hasn't been an issue.

Betarocker

Adventurer
I should add, the bars don't hang any lower than the shock mounts or the differential pumpkin. Also, at the lowest part before they disappear behind the tire they are still over a foot above the earth.

RoadArmorBumpers012.jpg

Only picture I have low enough to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears