Anyone running a Supercab Raptor?

skrypj

I have been eyeing the 2018-2020's closely and wondering about peoples impression of them on the trail. I know they are heinously wide but does the short wheelbase allow them to be nimble enough to navigate tighter sections? I like that the truck is already on 35's, has a locker and a torsen and pretty trick suspension. Out of the box its pretty capable.

I already have looked at and test driven a couple with the wife and kids and we have all agreed that the cab and everything is acceptable, so that is not the issue.

370HSSV

One of my friend has one on 37, RSI smart cap in the back, last owner had a gfc on it. It's a great truck, cam phaser still a problem on them. I'd definitely get extended warranty if that's still an option. 19+ have live valve shocks, I don't think 17 and 18 has them. And yes, they are wide. I driven it couple times, does very well in glamis for a stock truck. It does struggle in tight places. All depends on where you wanna take it. Shorter wheel base helps in some places, but fuel tank size went down about 10 gallons from 36 (Super crew) to 26? I think.

1697828623868.png

yfarm

Observer
I own a 11 SC Raptor(original owner) 144k, and a 20 SC F250, Raptor is wider and shorter than the f250. Feels more maneuverable, is lower to the ground. Took it once on a goat hunt on blm trails, pinstripes buffed out, next time used it to tow a ranger for the narrow stuff. Keep thinking about selling and buying a gladiator rubi or mojave. Better for what I do now and have the big truck to tow. Kids must be small, no one is happy riding in the back of a sc very far, my dogs do fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0828.jpeg
    IMG_0828.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1381.jpeg
    IMG_1381.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Its true full size trucks are wider, the vast majority of the time its not that big of a deal.

Depends on the trail. I find most people say “trail” but pretty much spend all their time on tracks, forests service, BLM, Fire and utility roads. farm and Ranch access roads, All used and designed by government and private agencies with full size trucks.

As always, there are some exceptions though. My full size has never limited me to a point that stopped the plan. Most my time has been spent in the western United states, Alaska. Mexico and South America though.

I haven’t really spent any time on the East Coast.

skrypj

One of my friend has one on 37, RSI smart cap in the back, last owner had a gfc on it. It's a great truck, cam phaser still a problem on them. I'd definitely get extended warranty if that's still an option. 19+ have live valve shocks, I don't think 17 and 18 has them. And yes, they are wide. I driven it couple times, does very well in glamis for a stock truck. It does struggle in tight places. All depends on where you wanna take it. Shorter wheel base helps in some places, but fuel tank size went down about 10 gallons from 36 (Super crew) to 26? I think.

View attachment 801887
I would be wheeling mostly in Utah. Sometimes Moab or other places in southern UT, but also some of the local forest service roads in northern UT mountains or in the surrounding states. These are tighter but not impossibly tight and have had my F150 on them.

I have wheeled my 2014 Supercrew 6.5' bed in Moab as well as some other trails in southern UT and the wheelbase sucks. The supercrew 5.5' bed would be a little better but its still a long truck and still needs some upgrades.

The Raptor that I am particularly interest in is a 2019 with the Live Valve shocks. I am a little concerned that they may need to be sent in for a rebuild being at 55k miles, which isnt cheap. The phasers are also a concern on this particular truck as they were never updated to the newer design. When I cold started it it sounded fine but I imagine it will eventually be an issue.

I own a 11 SC Raptor(original owner) 144k, and a 20 SC F250, Raptor is wider and shorter than the f250. Feels more maneuverable, is lower to the ground. Took it once on a goat hunt on blm trails, pinstripes buffed out, next time used it to tow a ranger for the narrow stuff. Keep thinking about selling and buying a gladiator rubi or mojave. Better for what I do now and have the big truck to tow. Kids must be small, no one is happy riding in the back of a sc very far, my dogs do fine.

The turning radius on the ones I drove was impressive compared to my 157" wheelbase supercrew F150 lol.

I'm a little stuck because I want something that can tow moderately well but also offroad decently. I have a trailer that I tow with both my F150 and GX460. The GX460 handles the trailer fine but lacks in the power department enough that I don't like taking it on major freeways, so I tend to just keep it to shorter trips. I know the Raptor isnt a tow monster, but it at least has a lot more power and more wheelbase than the GX460 so I feel comfortable with it and, with the bed, I can throw some Rotopax on some builtright panels for extra range.

The kids are 6 and 2 and we put the car seats in there when we were looking. We can make it work and it would really just be a toy for the most part. My wife and I both work from home and we just bought a 2018 Chevy Bolt as a daily beater so the Raptor would be used for the random situations where we need to drive two cars, we go camping, or we go wheeling. I would be surprised if we put much more than 7000 miles a year on it.

Last edited:

jchasse

Its true full size trucks are wider, the vast majority of the time its not that big of a deal.

Depends on the trail. I find most people say “trail” but pretty much spend all their time on tracks, forests service, BLM, Fire and utility roads. farm and Ranch access roads, All used and designed by government and private agencies with full size trucks.

As always, there are some exceptions though. My full size has never limited me to a point that stopped the plan. Most my time has been spent in the western United states, Alaska. Mexico and South America though.

I haven’t really spent any time on the East Coast.
I hear you, but width can be an issue here in CO. I live just off the Alpine Loop, and you don't want to be out there on one of those exposed shelf roads when there's a bunch of raptors on them. Doesn't help that they seem to be unaware of (or just don't give a schist about) basic trail etiquette - like vehicles going uphill have the right of way etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998