Anyone successfully use a truck frame for a trailer foundation?

hidefxj

Observer
Was going to build a trailer from scratch but I am all about cost (much like most) and got a free trailer that is a Chevy luv frame/bed/rear end. After stripping all of the bed and bed supports away, I am left with what seems to be a surprisingly capable expo trailer foundation.
Now I know a huge component to a build like this is the weight, but I am really surprised by how light the frame with rear and wheels is right now. Most will tell me to scrap this and build from scratch but I can't overlook the fact that this setup was part of a pickup (even if it was a luv) and it is made for a little hauling and offroading.
What say the masses?
Any successful expos built on a small pickup frame?
Examples (pics)?
How important is the tracking of the trailer? If I utilize this frame, the wheelbase is currently shorter than my Cherokee.......am I looking at big issues?

Thanks in advance for any input!

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Got pictures? Normally truck frames are a heavy way to start, but from what I recall of the LUV they were pretty lightweight, you may be able to get away with it.

Joanne

Adventurer
I'll throw my 2¢ in. Of course my opinion is worth what you paid for it.
wink3.gif

I guess it all depends on what you want the end result to be. My first impression of the trailer picture was to patch up the rust on the bed, add the appropriate gas can holders (or other storage) on the tongue, lay on some paint, and head out camping. I think the frame and bed combo would have worked just fine. I would swap out the axle to a trailer axle, but not much more than that.

If you want to build a "real" expedition trailer then I would start with a drawing on paper and a stack of metal. In the overall cost and effort to build a trailer, I'm not sure that cutting corners will save that much $$. I'm sure the frame will be more than strong enough, but is it really what you want as a foundation for your trailer?

When I built my camping trailer I started with a boat trailer. It turned out fine, but it is HEAVY. I would have been much better off selling the boat trailer and using the money to buy parts for a purpose built frame. My friend and I scratch built a frame for her trailer and it was much lighter, but plenty strong.

Joanne

hidefxj

Observer
Joanne,
Thanks for your input. Everyone's input helps steer me toward my ultimate decision.
I hear what you're saying about the weight but it really is a non issue with the state that it is in.
I just see easily spending $300 min for a trailer axle and min $200 for steel stock to get the frame built. And trust me, it will weigh more than what I have now for free.

eggman918

Adventurer
Is the tongue height a match for your rig? If so I would use it there would be room for fuel/water tanks under and the plane of the platform does not look too high,
I to would replace the truck axle with a tube axle we have a utility trailer that is the back of a 66 Chevy pickup 8' stepside it has served us well for close to 20 years
it pulls straight handles a heavy load what more can you ask of a trailer."if it ain't broke don't fix it" use the money you would have for the frame elsewhere
just my two cents

hidefxj

Observer
Is the tongue height a match for your rig? If so I would use it there would be room for fuel/water tanks under and the plane of the platform does not look too high,
I to would replace the truck axle with a tube axle we have a utility trailer that is the back of a 66 Chevy pickup 8' stepside it has served us well for close to 20 years
it pulls straight handles a heavy load what more can you ask of a trailer."if it ain't broke don't fix it" use the money you would have for the frame elsewhere
just my two cents

Thanks egg man! I don't suppose you have any pictures of your trailer.

java

Expedition Leader
mine uses the bed also... but same frame as above. the datsun frames are pretty light weight. the frame is probably 150-200 lbs.

Toyotero

Explorer
This is my favorite TRUCK FRAME TRAILER.
DIRTCO I believe a member here too.

http://www.yotatech.com/f88/my-camping-trailer-project-219053/

I like his trailer also, awesome fab work and a great looking final product, but it seems that the shape of the frame puts the bulk of the mass of the trailer and contents unnecessarily high, giving it a high CG and the bed height for loading/unloading/accessing the contents, but this might not be of concern to most people as much as for me.

I'd like to build a truck bed trailer also, specifically a Toyota one either a Hilux for the Nice TOYOTA lettering and roll-over/hooks bed rail, or a 83-89 to match the 4Runner body style or a Taco bed if I found one cheap enough.

T3.jpg

and something like this one or this one would be ideal... using a camper top made for a truck bed does something to justify the sacrifices made using a bed & frame vs designing your own trailer from scratch.

ff46a1ed.jpg rqzsdz.jpg

This is one of the best that I've seen done: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-s-trailer-project?highlight=flip pac trailer

vsdykx.jpg

This also:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/84492-Toyota-expedition-roof-top-trailer

1z38gp2.jpg

Lastly, there is a thread of TBTs: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/65308-show-us-your-truck-bed-trailers

Last edited:

Pooch72

Adventurer
I built my trailer from scratch, just like you're planning on doing. It was a big job, and some fabrication and creative thinking came into play. I started with a 2wd 1966 Chevy fleetside rear half of a truck that was cut and the frame bent in to make the tongue. Since it was a good starting point, I ran with it.

I have a 1960 Chevy stepside pickup (same generation) and wanted a stepside trailer. I ripped off the old fleetside body and the floor to make room for a stepside body I picked up locally for 50 bucks. Bought new floor rails from LMC truck online, made new wood planks for the floor, and custom fit the stepside body onto a fleetside trailer. I installed a "lift kit", which was MUCH taller springs off a Ford F150, and stuffed big fat tires under it. It's still a work in progress, but i've used it quite a bit lately, and it works great.

You want eye candy??? Here you go...

like I said, still a work in progress. One of these days, i'll actually paint it to match the truck (the yellow one in my avatar)!

-Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger