Anyone use a FrontRunner modular awning?

Seeker

Adventurer
I've been considering building my own using sail track for mounting to the rack and then sewing sail bolt rope to some sunbrella or shade sail material and reinforcing the corners for some grommets and poles. Seems like it would be pretty simple.

AxleIke

Adventurer
Yeah, probably would. I just don't have sewing equipment, and I was looking at those poles in a store and they were like 15 or 20 bucks a pop, which for 5 puts you around 100 bucks, plus you have to get the sail cloth, and by the time you are done, you are only slightly less than this, plus you have to hassle with it.

I may just give it a go. Doesn't look like its a super popular choice, so maybe I'll be a guinea pig. LOL!

Seeker

Adventurer
If you do, please update with your findings. You are right on the cost. Their awning is quite inexpensive.

zeebm45

I have one ... used it and it worked great on a trip in the mountains while it rained for about 3 hours. Definitely not waterproof but held up to the snow, sleet, hail and rain that came at us for 3 hours ... started leaking at the seams after about 1 1/2 hours ... sat to the side of the seams and was dry.

Takes a bit of help to set up ... can be done with a single person but much easier to do if you have help. Have not had a chance to use it in the sunshine yet but will hopefully next weekend before 4th of july.

Very impressed with the quality of the product ... seems very well made. only complaint i have is i do not like the stakes for the tie downs. I will be going to REI to pick up stakes i like but that shouldn't affect your decision.

AxleIke

Adventurer
Huh, not water proof is a bummer. Perhaps some seam sealant that you put on tents could work? Have you tried that, or is the material incompatible?

zeebm45

Huh, not water proof is a bummer. Perhaps some seam sealant that you put on tents could work? Have you tried that, or is the material incompatible?

Have not tried anything and don't really plan to. If its really that wet and nasty that i need it to be waterproof i will hop in the back of the truck or tent and relax instead. I purchased it for shade purposes mostly to use camping and at the shooting range (can pull truck right up to location and sit in the shade while shooting at targets).

"java
Will it stand up without the truck? seems like it would be shaky."

very sturdy on its own ... the tie downs hold it in place (just depends on how well you tighten them down)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears