Anyone use one of the collapsible silicone tea kettles?

SBSYNCRO

Referring to this type:

I find that boiling water for coffee in the previous night's "red beans and rice with andouille sausage" pan doesn't always result in the best tasting coffee, so I'm pondering a dedicated kettle. But I don't want a single purpose device taking up quite so much space. Curious if anyone is using one of these (particularly with a Cook Partner stove)...

LilKJ

Adventurer
I'm curious if anyone has any bad experiences with them. I see a lot of reviews that talk about them melting when used on a gas camp stove.

SBSYNCRO

I'm curious if anyone has any bad experiences with them. I see a lot of reviews that talk about them melting when used on a gas camp stove.

Exactly one of the reasons I'm asking - particularly because I'm using a Cook Partner stove with some serious BTUs

LilKJ

Adventurer
Exactly one of the reasons I'm asking - particularly because I'm using a Cook Partner stove with some serious BTUs

I would guess that you would be fine as long as you watch your burner flame diameter and don't let it get too close to the silicone/metal junction. I would imagine that this is the reason for the failures we are hearing about.

WanderingBison

We have a 120v AC silicone collapsible kettle we ordered from Amazon (might be the same as the link you posted but the link didn’t work for me) and we love ours - perfect for tea or coffee in the morning, oatmeal, soup - we even use it to heat water for dishes when we haven’t setup our stove. Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Florida Native

I have one of these. Not silicone or foldable but it’s big enough for two cups of tea and small enough to fit inside my other pots.

-Mike

ab1985

Explorer
I have the Sea to Summit X-Kettle. Very handy and packs small. As long as the diameter of your burner isn't too large you should be fine.

Wow, went to post a link and they are pretty spendy on Amazon now...

twin_magnolias

Observer
We had a cheap one from Amazon about five years ago, but it developed a leak right at one of the creases. It could not be filled more than half full at that point and it leaked water. Now I keep a Jetboil for boiling water.

SBSYNCRO

What chemicals did the manufactuer in China make the silicone from?

damned good question and one that does concern me. I bought one and it works well and packs down nice and small. But I will admit to having reservations about chemicals.
I used to also bring a jetboil for the coffee in the morning but decided that just seemed a bit excessive when I have a galley right there. One more piece of kit to deal with...

Alloy

damned good question and one that does concern me. I bought one and it works well and packs down nice and small. But I will admit to having reservations about chemicals.
I used to also bring a jetboil for the coffee in the morning but decided that just seemed a bit excessive when I have a galley right there. One more piece of kit to deal with...

While back I worked on commercial smokehouse that needed food safe silicone caulking. That's when I learned about the crap (fillers) that is added to make silicone cheaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan