Anyone used on board air to pressurize a water tank?

tte30m3

Adventurer
I have on board air in my tow vehicle. I will have a 18g water tank in the trailer. Rather than adding another component (pump), it seem like I could add a fitting and pressure regulator to pressurize the tank for my water pressure. I'm guessing I'd need less than 10 lbs of pressure.

Thanks!

LuckyDan

Adventurer
Actually, back in the day pressurized potable tanks were somewhat common on regular camp trailers. As a kid my relatives had a Kenskill trailer with a pressurized tank. The fill lid had a inner tube valve in the middle of it. Used to keep a bicycle pump in the storage bin to service it in the woods.

I think those tanks were steel though. I don't know if a modern poly molded tank would take much if any pressure beyond what the water itself exerts. Maybe? Maybe not?

Good luck however you do it.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Vintage Airstreams also had air pressurized water cylinders fitted with Schrader valves. Early tanks were galvanized steel; later versions were aluminum. The trailer industry began using 12v demand pumps rather than air pressurized systems in the early 1960's.

Example of Airstream tank:

attachment.php

Air pressurized tank from Streamline trailer:

246360225b0b071671374da94a8265237c5d2742.jpg

I think LuckyDan is correct that one cannot pressurize a poly tank with air - it would bulge and increase volume rather than build pressure, and most likely leak long before working pressure is reached.

I use a simple gravity feed system with the 13 gal. poly tank in my Bantam trailer (ignore the rust on the "radiator" fill tube - it was wirebrushed off and painted after the photo was taken).

HPIM0144.JPG

HPIM0156.JPG

HPIM0155.JPG

HPIM0153.JPG

If I ever find that I "need" running water I will plumb an inexpensive RV hand pump faucet into the system and call it a day.

stag-868093.jpg.thumb_popupprod_info_244x250_f72ac6d38de5e588cf009c05f0ef2824.jpg

twblanset

Observer
I did this with two soda/Cornellius kegs in my drawer system. They are very light and are safe to pressurize to 150lbs. I use a pressure reducer and a little generic sink sprayer. If you are interested, reply here and i'll take pictures and do a small write up this weekend. I'm a homebrewer so I had the soda kegs lying around, but you can buy them used off of Craigslist without a problem.

jeep670

Adventurer
I did this with two soda/Cornellius kegs in my drawer system. They are very light and are safe to pressurize to 150lbs. I use a pressure reducer and a little generic sink sprayer. If you are interested, reply here and i'll take pictures and do a small write up this weekend. I'm a homebrewer so I had the soda kegs lying around, but you can buy them used off of Craigslist without a problem.
I'm interested. Thanks in advance!

downhill

Adventurer
Just be sure your compressor does not contaminate your water. Any oiled pump will have some oil vapor in the air it pumps.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I've seen this done in a Jeep rear bumper using his OBA. I'm sure it's pretty easy to find on YT

Brettster

I'm pressurizing a 10' piece of schedule 40 PVC pipe for my water tank. It holds exactly 15 gallons and runs at 25psi.
I have a small oil less air pump connected thru a pressure switch. Works like a charm.

KTM-Todd

IF 5 gal of water is enough a soda keg will work great, not cheap any more because of the home brewers buy them up fast. If you need more that five gallons just put in a pump. Any kind of water tank that can handle pressure is going to be expensive be it plastic or steel, stainless steel or aluminum. I got a very heavy 15 gal drum from work to make a week sprayer to use with my compressor. at 15 pounds the drum almost looked like a ball. And with a 20' 3/8' hose hardly no pressure. I cut the drum apart to fit it in the garbage and it had a wall thickness of 1/4" on the thin side to over 3/8". Good luck finding an RV water tank that thick. A good pump is what $75-$100?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998