Anyone used these heatable solder connectors?

Wilbah

Adventurer
Saw these for the first time today and they seem like a pretty good idea, and (important for me!), idiot proof....

Simply slide the wires in to the connector and heat. Melts the solder as well as the waterproof ends. I'm curious if anyone has used these before and what your results were? I know I am always looking for easier ways to do things, but especially to have it done right. In the past I always had issues with the crappy crimp style connectors and this makes a lot of sense to me. But maybe I'm missing something?

https://chicdelta.com/products/waterproof-solder-wire-connectors

WOODY2

Adventurer
Yep I have used them. I put a little flux on the wires prior to heating and also use another layer of heat shrink over the connection. Don't know if I would trust it for heavier wire gauges #8 or 10?

Wilbah

Adventurer
I just googled them and see that more manufacturers of this type are around, which makes sense....pretty simple in terms of design.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
There was an online discussion of these within the last couple of weeks, maybe somewhere here on Expo. What caught my attention was the step-down version of these things that allows easy attachment of tiny wires to the end of a run of fatter wires (think LED's replacing tungsten or halogen bulbs). I ordered an assortment of sizes from Amazon to try on landscape lighting but couldn't find them when I needed to make up some connections (typical). Lots of brands available on Amazon, typically not available in your local hardware store or commercial electrical supply.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
I'm using these in my rock light installation. Mostly for convenience since the project was going to involve splicing a lot of small gauge wire together (12 led rock lights, 20 gauge x 2 per light). Also, current draws are very low. I am covering each splice with nice, marine rated heat shrink since it's all undercarriage. For higher current stuff I think I would crimp instead.

Wilbah

Adventurer
I see Wirefy makes both crimp type and solder type, with the waterproofing. I have read lots of items here and elsewhere about the pluses and minuses of soldering v. crimping. I think the appeal of soldering for me is due to my crappy experience(s) with the simple crimping versions I did years ago. I can see how using a quality crimping tool will give better results and in either of the versions (crimped v soldered) you can have the water proofing as part of the heat shrink which is good. Thanks for everyone's comments!

F350joe

I have a few of those on my underwater ROV, the same ones from Amazon. They suck pretty much but are fine if you liquid electric tape and heat shrink over them. They are really floppy too which will work the joint depending on your application. This is the stuff you want for serious waterproofing. Make sure to use some flux either way you go. https://store.openrov.com/products/waterproof-heat-shrink

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The concept works well for the purpose. But as we all know, Quality of electrical hardware varies widely. Especially stuff marketed toward DIY or stereo system users.
Be suspicious without examining or recognising its manufacturer is prudent.
Indeed. Tyco makes them, they call them solder sleeves. Theirs are a recognized process, MIL-S-83519A qualified even. Whether knock-offs you might find on Amazon or True Value are the same as the ones you get from Avnet, Digikey, Mouser or Arrow is anyone's guess.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Thank you for the comments. I can definitely see how my ignorance to what is definitely designed for a specific use versus what "seems" to be the same will lead me to a verydifferent result. As with a lot of things I have already found out the hard way what doesnt work well....this will help me find something that will work. Thanks all! Really so great to have this expertise and willingness to share it here. I appreciate it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears