anyone with a Smittybilt winch on LR3/4?

srschick

Adventurer
looking at the Smittybilt X20 10k winch, with the TerraFirma hidden winch mount.
Has anyone installed one of these in their LR3/4? If so, how was the fit?
(or, if you've heard about the fitment of this particular winch)

Last edited:

zelatore

Explorer
I'm running a XRC10 on my LR3, but I've got an ARB bumper on the front.

I did have to clock the mounting since the ARB mount is 'feet forward' instead of the more common 'feet down', but that wasn't particularly difficult.

I also had to make some minor tweaks to the fairlead mount since I'm running a hawser instead of a roller (synth line). Again, nothing big.

I also removed the solenoid pack and made my own mount for it to hide it out of the way instead of using the ARB supplied solenoid mount that was designed for a Warn anyway. Much cleaner with the solenoid hidden. I can't remember if the original cables were long enough or if I made up some of my own. I think the latter, but since I have that sort of stuff on hand anyway I can't remember.

In my case the bumper was the PITA and required some mod'ing to make it fit the truck. Below are some pics showing the installed winch, and here's a link to a bunch more pics of the installation-
http://s816.photobucket.com/user/zelatore/library/07 Land Rover LR3/ARB front bumper?sort=3&page=1

srschick

Adventurer
Thanks Zelatore.
I do plan to remote cable the solenoid box into the engine bay, so that'll free up some of the height.

Fo all others with a hidden winch tray, what exact model of winch do you have installed? That way I can look up the dimensions and compare to the ones I'm looking at.
(Fwiw, the Superwinch is starting to look like a better winch compared to the Smittybilt, for around the same price)

Ray_G

Explorer
I'll find out soon (or as soon as Amazon gets me my Superwinch); I've got a Superwinch TS 9500 SR inbound with the intent to have it put into a locally fabricated bumper here in the UAE...I was looking at the Smittybilt winches-which I could get locally b/c of all the Jeep and FJ folks-but I've got a lot more confidence in Superwinch based off long term ownership of an EP 9.0. I know the Tiger Shark isn't the tried and true EP, but I still prefer the brand and got a great deal for the synthetic line setup and such. More to follow on my end over the next few weeks as the pieces come together out here.

BTW, Don that's a damn good looking truck.
r-
Ray

srschick

Adventurer
Ray_G, that's the same Superwinch I'm looking at.

The Warn Zeon 10-s is 24.25w x 7.15d x x7.84h with the solenoid moved
the SW TS9500 is 20.8w x 6.3d x 9.2h with the solenoid attached.
I assume the TS9500 solenoid can be move to another location as well?
that would put it a hair bit smaller that the Zeon, which people have been able to use with the TF mount.

Dmarchand

Adventurer
The height on those measurements is the issue. I put the Zeon in and removed the solenoid. Even then, all of the plastic had to be removed and a rubber mallet was used to tweak the bottom flange of the radiator support underside.

Ray_G

Explorer
Hmmm...good thing I'm having a bumper custom built out here, am waiting for the winch to arrive actually so they can base around it. Sucks for a hidden mount application though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears