Apache National Forest

trump

Adventurist
Wow - that is a big area and I live next to one of the larger open pit mines.

Bingham Canyon Mine

I'm familiar with that one as well. Never seen it in person, but I understand that the two have been competing for the title of the largest open pit mine in North America. Bingham is deeper and Morenci covers more square miles. One of Morenci's engineers told me that at their peak, they were moving 1,000,000 tons of earth a day.:Wow1:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Thanks for posting your trip. Sounded kinda rude but like you said, lessons learned.

I cheat when I know I will be camping in wet conditions and bring some dry pecan wood from home and one of those fake fire logs. That will start a fire every time.

I love that Black River area. My wife and I camped up there a few months back and she loved it.

Thanks for posting your trip. I know it's not the Congo but it's still most enjoyable in our Arizona back yard. :wings:

leman

Adventurer
great write up man.

yea the multi-week expeditions are fun to read about, but for most people they are not practical. i love reading about 1 or 2 night trips just as much because they motivate me to get out more since they are more realistic. :smiley_drive:

its cool that your wife like to get out with you though. ive had girlfriends in the past that "didnt understand it"

trump

Adventurist
Sounded kinda rude but like you said, lessons learned.

Didn't take it that way. Truth is, I was humbled a bit on this trip. I guess I got a little use to roughing it when backpacking. :REOutCampFire03:

I cheat when I know I will be camping in wet conditions and bring some dry pecan wood from home and one of those fake fire logs. That will start a fire every time.

That's a good tip. Others had suggested a road flare... not sure how I feel about that.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Didn't take it that way. Truth is, I was humbled a bit on this trip. I guess I got a little use to roughing it when backpacking. :REOutCampFire03:

That's a good tip. Others had suggested a road flare... not sure how I feel about that.

I didn't mean rude in the sense of your overall trip. I just meant the rainy weather was rude for you to deal with.

We are both in Tucson, let me know if you want to go out sometime with an 'ol fart that that has camped way too much. :elkgrin:

trump

Adventurist
its cool that your wife like to get out with you though. ive had girlfriends in the past that "didnt understand it"

She's really good about it... I'm planning on really putting that to the test as early as this coming summer. San Diego, CA to Deadhorse, AK (If the funding works out) :smiley_drive::elkgrin:

I didn't mean rude in the sense of your overall trip. I just meant the rainy weather was rude for you to deal with.

We are both in Tucson, let me know if you want to go out sometime with an 'ol fart that that has camped way too much. :elkgrin:

Ah, I got it now. Yeah, that was the most rain I had seen since I was living in NC. Was happy to discover the RTT shrugged off the water nicely.

I'll keep your offer in mind even though I'm days away from moving to San Diego :sombrero:. I still have family here, so I will be visiting throughout the year. Would be nice to make a nice trip out of a visit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle