Aperture?

Scott Brady

Founder
I am toying with the idea of a Mac. for post production and graphics design work (of which, Stephanie and I do a lot).

Has anyone used Aperture? Your thoughts?

Comparison to Photoshop?

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Stick with photoshop and add a copy Iview 3 to handle DAM. Aperture should be sweet software when it hits version 2, but I won't buy it yet.

Adobe Lightroom has a lot of potential as a somewhat advanced raw editing program, assuming the conversion quality improves between the beta and final software.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Aperture has many great features - it is NOT a Photoshop replacement though. For organizing, etc ... I think Aperture would be great. I haven't bought a copy yet, but eventually will.

Adobe Lightroom is a similar product and is in beta, so you can download copies and give it a try. I've been playing with it, but don't have enough real experience to give a good opinion.

Now, for the Mac. The new machines are awesome and good values - and hey, for the things you need windows for, you can. Best of both worlds.

Jeff

smbisig

Adventurer
jeffryscott said:
Aperture has many great features - it is NOT a Photoshop replacement though. For organizing, etc ... I think Aperture would be great. I haven't bought a copy yet, but eventually will.

Adobe Lightroom is a similar product and is in beta, so you can download copies and give it a try. I've been playing with it, but don't have enough real experience to give a good opinion.

Now, for the Mac. The new machines are awesome and good values - and hey, for the things you need windows for, you can. Best of both worlds.

Jeff

i second that. i have been editing videos for a couple of years now, and nothing beats a mac. my computer should have died a long time ago, but it still chuggs along even after i beat the hell out of it using final cut pro and photoshop.

Scott Brady

Founder
Great feedback. I guess I need to decide on an editing platform first, most likely a Mac. Unfortunately, they are big coin equiped properly.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure what you mean by equipped properly. Buy the computer from Apple, generally one down from top of the line is the best value, they charge a huge premium for the top of the line box. Buy your RAM and hard drives from Other World Computing (www.macsales.com). The Dell 2407 and Samsung 214 are both excellent monitors that won't break the budget.

You can load up with ram, but Photoshop can only 4 GB. Make sure you have a separate dedicated scratch drive. As for storage, NAS is the way through a gigabit ethernet router. I am not a fan of RAID in any configuration and I don't recommend it.

At this point whether you are better off buying an Intel max of a G5 is a debate I'm not willing to get into. www.barefeats.com has tests and you can decide for yourself. I would not expect to see CS3 for a year and at that point the computers will be faster and cheaper.

Make sure you buy some sort of calibration system, they are available at all levels of price and performance. I would recommend a system based either on the Monacco Optix (X-rite DP94) puck or the Gretag Macbeth Eye 1 puck, with either Monacco, Gretag or ColorEyes software. I personally like software that allows you to check the accuracy of the profile. I have had several that were just plain off and had to be run again. Also get a monitor hood. You can buy a fancy one or make your own. I made mine from a piece of foamcore and black velvet.

Last edited:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
20" iMac will get you started - fill it with maximum ram 500 gig HD and the Maximum video card - and you are good to go for not too much invested - It will come out of the box with many cool "iApps" that can get you on your way to fun in a hurry...

if you find down the road that you really are a switcher - by then the more powerful intel desktops will be past the first version and you will want to make that leap - sell the iMac or move it down the chain for office/light work

Aperture is still a relatively new app and will need more time to mature

Scott Brady

Founder
This is my example of equipped properly:

Summary
Subtotal $4,497.00

Estimated Ship:
2-4 business days

Free Shipping

$4,497.00
Click "Update Details" to reflect changes to system price and shipping.

Specifications

Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
2GB (4 x 512MB)
500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB (single-link DVI/dual-link DVI)
Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel)
Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel)
Two 16x SuperDrives
Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - U.S. English
Mac OS X - U.S. English

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Well, computers are like trucks and I would build mine very differently. Your selection is definitely drool worthy, here is just another thought.

Standard computer from Apple: $2500 (keep the internal 250GB HD as a stratch)
Hold off on the optical drives until BluRay is out. I find DVD's to be pretty useless for photo files or back up. Hard drives are more archival, faster, cheaper per GB and easier to archive. This is where NAS comes in.
One internal Seagate 500GB ($225) or Western Digital 400 GB ($175)
Dell 2407 monitor ($740) or equivalent Samsung ($700) -- you are going to see a lot of advances in LCD displays in the next 12 month as quality goes up and cost comes down. Similar to Compact Flast cards around 2004. I find one 24" monitor is sufficient, but you may disagree. I would at least start there, unless you need to see two full size images side by side.
2 GB RAM ($500) -- this will get much cheaper soon. It is new technology and therefore expensive. Supposedly the computers are slightly fast if all slots are filled.
Wacom 6x11 Intuous tablet ($370)
Monacco Optic XR Pro ($300)
Total $4635

In my opinion, this gives you more memory, a scratch drive, a tablet, a profiler and overall a faster and more useful graphic design and photo editing workstation. If you want video editing two monitors may be better, but generally I'm fine with one 24" and I have less profile drift to worry about. Plan on adding four or five Tb of network attached storage.

On the other hand, nothing wrong with the iMac route either, but if you ever have trouble calibrating the monitor, well, good luck to you. When you are done with it, think how cool it would be in the kitchen to look up recepies or as a carputer. :sombrero:

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Scott....

First, I don't anyone to misunderstand my post.

I have been a Apple/Mac user since 1986. I am not a newbie to Macs, but I am an end-user, not a programmer. I gave that up 15 years ago. I started with an Apple IIc, then a Mac SE30, a Performa, PowerMac 7100, PowerBook 1400cs, two G4 desktops (one at home, one at work), and I still have FOUR Macs in my house: the G4 (collecting dust), a 15" PowerBook G4 aluminum (my traveling buddy), 17" Powerbook G4 Titanium (my daily driver), and my G5 Dual Processor (2.7 GHzx2, 2 GB RAM, 400 GB HD, 300 GB backup) (home...photo processing, etc.)!

The point being: in all those Macs I have had 1 key pop off, 1 superdrive failure, and 1 hinge break. NEVER a processor failure, NOTHING has ever occurred that couldn't be fixed here at home with a few self diagnostics, and a very rare disk restore. I've never encountered an issue that I couldn't fix...until now.

I encouraged a friend to get a PowerBook before they went out of production, but she got the new MacBook with Core Duo processor. It has been nothing short of a nightmare with strange unpredictable failures, screen images on the fritz, overheating and other issues. The Apple Store has run diagnostics for 2 days and say..."it all checks out ok."

I realize that you are not considering the MacBook, but I would strongly encourage you to get over to the Mac Discussion forums Mac Forums and read and/or post to see if the Core Duo has created similar problems in their desktops.

It saddens me to see what Apple has done. I fear they have rushed a product into production without fully debugging the new processors. I think it is a HUGE tactical error on their part and may be massively damaging to the Mac reputation. I hope I am wrong, but that's my fear...

Hopefully I will have a Mac until I die, but if these current problems are system wide I will stick with my current G5 until it rots away...

Good luck!

Ed

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
btw - a cool thing to do is find an Apple store - and spend some time messing around on the various systems - it helps to get a little feel for how they work and look

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Th iMac 20-inch is an awesome system for the money. As more and more native apps arrive, it will truly come into it's own. When you outgrow it as the photo and video needs become more, it will be a great second computer in the house.

The new towers are nothing short of an engineering holy grail ... the techs at my computer store (Simutek in Tucson) were drooling (kind of like most of us around your Tacoma) at the elegance and design.

It is too early to tell what bugs there might be in the new towerd, but with nearly all revision A products from Apple since they moved their manufacturing to subcontractors in Asi, I'd expect it to have some issues - titanium powerbooks, aluminum powerbooks, ibooks, G5 towers, eMacs, early iMacs (the new design) and now the macbook and macbook pro have all ahd issues in the first revision. ... the good side of the move to Asia is it has made Macs more price competitive.

The nice thing with the current iMac is it is about the fifth generation in the box and so far, I've read nothing bad about the intel iMacs - so I think it is a solid platform to work on.

Truthfully, I think something like the iMac is all you would need to begin. For all the photography work I do, my 1ghz G4 powerbook is usually plenty fast, and the iMac is a screamer compared to that.

These things are so much like trucks - sure you can mod it out to the extreme, but for most of us, they are still daily drivers and grocery getters and kid haulers. That doesn't mean we don't want them to do everything and go everywhere though ...

Like Ed, I've been a long time mac-head (since about 91) and I can't imagine using the other platform. I personally don't know anybody who has gone Mac regret it. I have known many who have gone the other way and have regretted it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior