Aperture?

Scott Brady

Founder
Storage is not an issue for me right now, as I have nearly 2 TB (everything is backed up twice).

Maybe the iMAC is the way to go for right now.

Between the iMAC, monitors, software and my new rugged laptop there goes my F650 Dakar :(

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
yeah... also it is truly amazing what we get now as Mac users for less money compared to a few years ago - Apple adds value to every new hardware upgrade

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Scott, wait a week or so. Apple is hosting a "special event" Sept. 12 and rumors are the iMac line will be updated - and the possibility of a 23-inch iMac. Sweet.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
btw side note - I have always upgraded my powerbooks every year - I do have a MacbookPro 2.16 GHz intel core duo - it is Apple latest top of the line - it has a few issues - DVD drive/burner needs to be replaced and the track pad clicker needs fixing - I might have a bit of bad ( Apple) memory

the point I would like to make is - all I have to do is call Apple care explain the problems and Apple will fix them -( being in Sedona they will send an RA# and shipping box to an authorized service center) - the first 11 months is on Apple after that with the Apple care ( extra $$) I can have this feature for extended amount of time - I have used Applecare a few times through the 20 years with Apple and have always had a smile on my face in the end...

My G5 quad arrived with a dead lower drive ( second drive) and out of it's slot - Apple took it back and sent a new one in a week.

Moral of the story with any new line and transition - nothing is ever perfect but Apple is #1 in CS

Try and not look at an Apple purchase as a way to save money - it is an investment (for two years) in the fine hardware and a company that truly wants to push the limits - I would also always buy Apple installed memory and pay the extra - if it is bad they will replace it

YMMV :)

JMyerz

Adventurer
Scott,

First a few words about platforms...

In the 6 years I've used macs for professional photography / design. I've only had one data loss crash. I have one monthly on the PC system I use here at the studio.

As far as costs issues, if you configure a Dell with the EXACT same details as a Mac you will find the actually cost much more. A mid level Intel Power Mac is $1000 CHEAPER than the DELL version.

Aperture is an OK program, like others said it is not a Photoshop replacement. Iview media is ok as well for a catolougue program. Both however affect the integrity of the image data, that is they alter to their specs for processing, file naming, etc. This is a big deal as who knows what information they are deeming acceptable as throwing out.

I would stick with the Adobe CS2 suite and upgrade to CS3 as soon as it hits in Feburary. Adobe has a program similar to Aperture called Lightroom, I've been beta testing it for almost a year now and its great. You get the file management, easy RAW processing, good colors and seamless integration with photoshop. If you decide to get a Intel mac you will need CS3 as CS2 will move super slow dues to the new OS.

Hope that helps.

Justin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan