Apple Tablet: iPad

dzzz

I'll post what I just posted elsewhere:

"Well, it has multitasking of apple apps now. 4.0 adds multitasking for 3rd party audio streaming, VoIP and GPS apps. "

But it still has restrictions, which is probably good.
I expect this announcement is in anticipation of other vendors win 7 tablets.

redbeard

Adventurer
I'm not sure about the falls back thing, though I think it does that. I was under the impression, that it uses the cell/wifi to help it get location quicker than that of gps alone. - ie it downloads the most current gps satellite info (so it know what satellites to look for and about where) and uses the triangulation of wireless signals to give you your approx location while the gps works to give you exact location (well, much less approximate). Since you have the approx location, some of the computational work is already done, and it give you the feeling that the gps is quicker and getting a fix.

I still haven't found a straight answer on the 'net yet. But that was the most recent/reasonable one I've heard so far.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I was checking out some thing in my G1 and found where the tracks app will continue to work off the sat but the map itself will go to a grey screen because of no cell/data reception. If the iPad does this same thing then as an off road/topo gps it is useless.

redbeard

Adventurer
john101477 -
I just depends on the app you use. For example the app at ihikegps.com caches them for offline use. The builtin google maps probably doesnt.

Scott Brady

Founder
I would love to see a little bluetooth GPS available, as that would allow it to be mounted for better coverage. We will see what they come out with.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
So being as it is blue tooth, is it possible to use a blue tooth headset and skype or the like to make calls when in the 3G /wifi areas?

I just can not decide if it is really worth it to get this over an ipod touch... It seems like the biggest real difference is the memory is larger and the the space of the "desktop". Any comments?

Tried to read through this thread, but there was a lot there, so If I missed this covered back there just point me and I will look again.

Thanks
Brian

Buzz Lightyear

Brian:

All I can recommend is to go to an Apple store and try one. They are different. I have an iPhone and love it, but the screen size and definition/clarity of the iPad mean that you can actually read web pages and documents. The Keynote and Pages apps also allow you to do real work, if thats why you are interested. I am sold on the iPad and think it will redefine how we interface with our computer and the web. Like I said, we have three (for the kids) and I'm just waiting for the 3G model, so I've invested in it and will continue to do so.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I am sold on the iPad and think it will redefine how we interface with our computer and the web.

I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on it so i am not fully sold yet. The new HP Slate coming out seems to be more in line with what apple needed to do. i am a little peeved that they did not add a USB as many of my processes require one. It would be nice to be able to upload my images from my camera while I am out. I generally carry a ridiculous amount of memory cards with me anyways but for on the spot work like events besides weddings, it would be sweet if I could run at least adobe lightroom and a printer off of the slate or iPad.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I think you would be happier with a Slate then. The iPad is not meant to be a technical workstation. That said, I've heard rumours of a version of Photoshop coming but I wouldn't base the purchase on that particular point. It may or may not happen.
Not sure what the problem is...

the problem is i have to buy more stuff to link with when I already have several usb's that work great. Also that little adaptor costs another $30. Kinda dumb that I have to buy more adaptors to make stuff work when there is already a standard that is common and would have been easy to incorporate. Instead now you have something specialized that cost more. leave it to apple...

Navman

Adventurer
I was in Vegas for a couple of days and stopped by the Apple store to check out the ipad. My son picked it up an immediately figure it out. My 4 yr old daughter took about 2 minutes to figure the interface out completely and get games up and running without any of my help. To me that shows Apple (and the other sw developers) got the interface right. An older lady was watching my daughter and was amazed at how fast she could navigate through the options, going from video to game to browser.

To those that think this is just a toy and a touch interface is not the future, I respectfully disagree. Star Trek had it right all those years ago. No, this isn't the perfect gadget for techies, but Apple is smart in targeting the other 99.9% of the population. And sure, this isn't a perfect product but it's a great first gen product. Even though my kids a begging me for one (two actually) I will wait for another version or two first.

Like everyone has said, the display is amazing. Videos were great to watch and some of the games were amazing. The one car racing game were you use the ipad like a steering wheel was our favorite. My son was no longer interested in his Nintendo DS for the trip home.

Buzz Lightyear

I do agree that the lack of a USB port is annoying. The adapter helps, but I think it should have been included.

I don't know anything about the Slate and would most likely never get one. I am not a "tech" guy and one of the things I love about Apple is that everything is designed to work together. That is just what I want.

I fit the demographic that Apple designed the iPad for (e-mail, web browsing, book reader, etc). The iWorks apps accomplish 99% of my business/professional requirements. I can certainly understand that if you need more mobile computing power/options the iPad might not be for you.

I would have been tempted to wait for the next generation as well, but we have some short term requirements that the iPad is just right for. Now, if someone can come up with a solid GPS/mapping app it will be perfect.

telwyn

Adventurer
I've had my iPad since Monday and have to say I love it. Is it perfect - no, but I love it.

• Streaming videos from Netflix, ABC, etc are outstanding with great picture and sound quality.
  • Corporate email and personal emails work great and it does a much better job of handling attachments than the iPhone obviously because of the bigger screen.
  • Made my first inflight wifi call (a 30 second call to my wife) from the iPad this week while on a Delta flight using their GoGo wifi service and Toktumi's Line2 app. Also used it inflight to check my GoogleVoice mail. I realize web calls are controversial inflight - Delta blocks Skype but hasn't blocked Toktumi yet.
  • Reading Kindle books on the iPad is much much better than on the Kindle I own.
  • Wifi HAS been spotty in my house even though my iPhone, Macbook and HP mini all work fine. Wifi seems to work great with my Verizon mifi and on other networks.

Sure I wish it had usb ports, gps, a camera for webcalls, etc., and hopefully future versions will. I'll certainly upgrade then - my kids will love getting this one at some point as my daughter is now getting my Kindle...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger