Applejack's 2005 Taco Adventure Build

frobuster

Observer
hey, just wanted to know how happy you are with the suspension? Either I did not read through the thread well enough, or I'm under the impression that you are still running the 2" rough country, is that right? and how happy are you with the system?

The truck is coming together nice..:sombrero: You mentioned something about ARB not offering a snorkel which is true for now, but if I remember right TACODOC used a snorkel kit from the newer Hilux that fit the body like it was designed for the 05+ Tacomas.... Doubt it was direct bolt on so it may take some thought...:drool:

Oooo. That would be great. Thanks for the input, I think I'll check that out.

Check my build thread too. I just did it. About three pages of info and a few hurdles overcame. Even with TacoDocs initially install and write up, it takes a bit of ingenuity.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9846&page=26

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9846&page=28

Last edited:

Applejack

Explorer
hey, just wanted to know how happy you are with the suspension? Either I did not read through the thread well enough, or I'm under the impression that you are still running the 2" rough country, is that right? and how happy are you with the system?

I am still running it. It's just ok. It clears the tires with no rubbing but at times it can feel all most out of control, like when you hit a little bump at speed it gives a strong bounce and weave effect. I was hoping to have my OME's on by now but I'm taking things more slowly now. My wife lost her good paying job a couple of months ago so it's just my income payin' all the "no fun" bills. I'm socking away little bits a time to pay for it. Maybe by the end of summer I'll have it.

Applejack

Explorer
I have my roof rack on but I strayed away from my original mounting plans for now, and just cut my old basket of the bars and mounted it there and added a couple of brackets for the Hi-Lift jack. I'll post up a couple of pictures soon. They reason for staying from the original plan was nothing more than convenience. I had a trip that I needed the rack for and not enough time to finish with the intended plan. But, I will be back at the scratchin' post soon.

Applejack

Explorer
BedRack Complete!

For now I've finished my bed rack. It was a PITA to say the least. What I wanted was to have it high enough that I could fold my Bestop up and down but it created too much wind noise and looked a little too strange for my liking anyway. So I cut and lowered the legs just enough to clear the topper and all I have to do is remove the basket portion of the rack to get the top up or down.

001-1.jpg

002.jpg

002-1.jpg

001-2.jpg

I will probably just leave the top up as much as possible and remove the windows for K-9 ventilation instead of folding the top down. I did also decide to modify the front window of the topper to allow our pooch to poke his head inside the cab and also allow me a better view through my severely scuffed topper window. All I did was cut it and add some "Industrial Duty" cut and loop accompanied by some black Gorilla tape. We'll see how long it holds up, it's pretty damn sticky!.
011-1.jpg

HoosierTacoma08

Great job on the bedrack! :drool: Unless Canback comes out with a topper for our trucks I plan on doing something similar to what you did to hold a RTT. :sombrero:

Applejack

Explorer
Great job on the bedrack! :drool: Unless Canback comes out with a topper for our trucks I plan on doing something similar to what you did to hold a RTT. :sombrero:

Thanks! I too wanted a Canback but I thought they were out of business at the time when I got the Bestop.

daverami

Explorer
My next change coming is tires. I have used the BFG A/T's many times in the past with great results, but the new KM2's are calling my name. I don't know which to choose and probably won't until next month when I'm ready to pull the trigger on them.

I wanted to ask you what were your likes and dislikes about the Toyo's? What made you go to the KM2's?

David

Applejack

Explorer
I wanted to ask you what were your likes and dislikes about the Toyo's? What made you go to the KM2's?

David

We do a lot of winter traveling and the Toyo's were by far the worst tire I've had for packed snow and ice, and I did have them siped. Siping helped but not enough. In deep snow they were pretty darn good. I wheeled them over in your area last winter in the Hidden Valley area and they did well. Put them on snow covered pavement and watch out.
Part of the problem is/was my VSC. I don't freak out if my truck goes a little sideways but, they trucks VSC does and it became very annoying.
I listened to a lot of other guys with light trucks who said the KM2's nearly equaled the AT's in packed snow and road noise. So far they've were wrong about the road noise and we'll have to wait and see about their snow performance. What I have liked so far about them over the Toyo's is; they are quieter and ride nicer, I've gained about 1.3 mpg's and they climb loose dirt hills waaay better. (probably due to being narrower though)

daverami

Explorer
We do a lot of winter traveling and the Toyo's were by far the worst tire I've had for packed snow and ice, and I did have them siped. Siping helped but not enough. In deep snow they were pretty darn good. I wheeled them over in your area last winter in the Hidden Valley area and they did well. Put them on snow covered pavement and watch out.
Part of the problem is/was my VSC. I don't freak out if my truck goes a little sideways but, they trucks VSC does and it became very annoying.
I listened to a lot of other guys with light trucks who said the KM2's nearly equaled the AT's in packed snow and road noise. So far they've were wrong about the road noise and we'll have to wait and see about their snow performance. What I have liked so far about them over the Toyo's is; they are quieter and ride nicer, I've gained about 1.3 mpg's and they climb loose dirt hills waaay better. (probably due to being narrower though)

Thanks for the info. I'm looking to change from AT's to an MT and was curious about he Toyo's. The KM2 is on my list. I will be interested to see their performance on snow. Thinking about the Cooper STT's also.

Lots of roads around the Hidden Valley area, if we are thinking the same place. In fact, my wife and I have property out that way and are getting prepared to build a house.

Applejack

Explorer
I had the Coopers very briefly on a Grand Cherokee and they did a pretty good job in the white stuff. Far better than the Toyo's. They were also on my list but I just couldn't escape the lure of the KM2's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman