ARB Bumper Vibration on '07 Taco

07taco

I've noticed a good deal of movement/vibration of my ARB bumper on even slight bumps in the road. I called ARB and they said it is normal due to the way Toyota mounts the body to the frame of the truck, provided the bumper was intsalled correctly. It was installed correctly, but it makes me a little nervous. On my last trip to Death Valley, other guys on the trip said it was really moving a lot. I have an ARB bumper on my '99 Taco and it's solid as a rock. It doesn't move a bit. Has anyone else noticed this?

alan

Explorer
It's a common thing on late model 4wd's the body and chassis are very softly mounted together, hence the movement.

Applejack

Explorer
Yes, it's sad but true. I actually had to adjust mine a little lower because at higher speeds + bumps, the bumper was actually hitting the fender on the right side. I also stuck some strips of foam rubber in between. Just in case.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Mine vibrates a bit when driving, but nothing I'd call significant "movement." You get used to it....

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
I was told by a member of the Toyota Trail Teams that the movement is in the frame. The Bull Bar is hard mounted to the frame, and all the movement observed is the frame. The passengers don't notice it as much because of the soft body mounts.

Alan said it better though.

-Ben

Crikeymike

Adventurer
The Tundra and FJ Cruiser frames have a similar amount of movement. Very flexy in the front. The older Taco had a more rigid design between the frame and the body, which is why the bar on that model is much more rigid.

07taco

Thanks guys. It is a little unnerving watching by bumper bounce like that. I put a lot of $$$ (arb bumper/warn winch, demello sliders and custom rear bumper-tire carrier/deaver springs/icon coilovers and rear resevoir shocks) into this truck and I was dissapointed to discover the somewhat "cheezy" design. As long as it does what its supposed to do, I guess I'll just have to live with the movement.

heeltoe989

Explorer
Mine vibrate too but has got my out of some really tough spots, Had it on for about 2 1/2 years now and hasn't caused me any grief. I got used to it. The only thing I don't like is the powder coating is crap. next year I'm going to Line-x it and then not worry about it.

Willman

Mine is pretty solid!

After a few trips down to the red rock....i had to loosen the bolts and re-line the bumper.....My truck body will make noises if i don't....

I would rather have some give than bend it....

Overall....Love my bumper!

:)

Crikeymike

Adventurer
heeltoe989 said:
The only thing I don't like is the powder coating is crap. next year I'm going to Line-x it and then not worry about it.

The powder coat isn't a big fan of salt road conditions. I'm sure the line-x probably doesn't get affected by anything.

heeltoe989

Explorer
Crikeymike said:
The powder coat isn't a big fan of salt road conditions. I'm sure the line-x probably doesn't get affected by anything.

I line-x my sliders and they have gone through 2 good winters and I give them a wash in the spring and they look brand new again!

Love it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior