ARB Compressor Failure

AlexJet

Explorer
ARB CKMA12 High-Output compressor.

My ARB Compressor was used last time back in August 2010. Recently I needed to fill up a tire on friends vehicle. Compressor failed.

The motor was working, but was much louder and I felt vibration transferred to the frame of the vehicle. It wasn't pumping any air at all.

Quick on-site assessment came out with possible internal issue as outside everything looked fine. Chat over the eMail with ARB office in Seattle lead to the inspections of the cylinder. ARB Tech suggested that cap to be opened and visual inspection of the axle and piston be performed.

As per ARB recommendations, I removed the air filter assembly and air filter flange. The issue was simple at the first glance. The cap screw unscrewed. But further investigations lead to more dramatic findings.
As I can see the issue started with cap screw failure due to lost preload. Following vibrations lead to unscrewing the cap screw completely and starting of it's disintegration. This lead to the damage to air filter flange and motor flange due to loose parts in the lower cylinder. Disintegrating of the screw lead to extensive amount of metal chips in the cylinder and failure of piston bearing and damaged o-rings.
At result I found cap screw partially disintegrated, both motor and air assembly flanges extensive damage beyond repair, piston bearing need replacement (part is available only as piston assembly), o-rings need replacement due to metal contamination, cylinder requires cleaning out of metal chips a d further examination for damage from metal particles.
And everything started just from 1 screw loosing it's preload...

Series of pictures were made last night of damaged parts of the compressor and were sent to ARB USA. Will see what they will come up with.

Last edited:

AlexJet

Explorer
Did anyone experienced anything similar?
I hope it still can be covered by warranty as it looks like internal part failure beyyong customer control which cause the issue. Compressor is over a year old, but wasn't used much, 4-5 times for tire inflation and 2-3 times for locker activation.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero:="OUCH" thats the one I've got in my jeep-

Sorry to hearit-mines OK and I'll wait to hear your results-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

AlexJet

Explorer
:sombrero:="OUCH" thats the one I've got in my jeep-

Sorry to hearit-mines OK and I'll wait to hear your results-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Me too waiting....
As a precaution note, I'd suggest, if you hear a deviation from normal in compressor function, turn it immediately and inspect. You may end with slightly less damage. Mine was on for a minute.

AlexJet

Explorer
Just got an email from ARB.

They are going to send me a new compressor.

Great customer service. Problem was solved within 3 business hours.
ARB does stand behind their product.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yup, that's what I would have expected from ARB. While their products aren't 'cheap' they are, in most cases, well worth it.:)

htek

Observer
ARB - Fantastic Support

Glad to hear that you got your issue resolved. I want to take a minute to echo your experience with an experience of my own.

When installing my ARB compressor, I cracked the manifold because I overtightened a fitting. This was totally my fault; the instructions specifically warn against this.

I called ARB and explained what I had done, totally admitting that I messed it up. There only response was "What's your address? We will ship a new one right away."

I didn't pay a dime, not even for shipping. I was totally blown away by there response and extremely quick resolution of MY problem. You will pay a premium for ARB stuff, but it's worth it!

-JM

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I have to agree with every one elses experiences. ARB stands behind their products.
I had a locker quit working. Inspection found that the dog clutches(teeth) never engaged correctly and it rounded off the ends so that they would just ride up and out of engagement. After a short talk with customer service they sent me a new locker no charge. My locker was out of slightly out of warranty at that point as well.
Very impressed with ARB.
Darrell

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I have always had exemplary service from ARB USA. And I endorse their lockers 100% based on over 12 years of service. The compressors are butt simple to rebuild on your own with a few $$ worth of parts.

That said I think you will continue to be sad if you try to use their compressors to air up tires. Get a $50 compressor from Harbor freight.

mvbeggs

Adventurer
How noisy is the CKMA12?

I just installed the CMKA12 on my Jeep yesterday. I was surprised how loud it was and the vibration it sent through the Jeep. Is this typical?

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears