ARB Fridge in Truck Bed Tool Box - Overheat ?

Skim

Explorer
I would like to get a large truck bed tool box / tool chest for the bed of my 85Hilux Truck and mount my ARB Fridge inside the box.

I will not be using a canopy/camper shell.

Then hard wiring it into a fuse box inside the tool box.

I am concerned that it might overheat or lower its efficency ?

Has anyone done this - or even put a ARB Fridge in a confined location that might decrease the fridge's ability to move air ?

Please give me some ideas / opinions...thanks.

Skim

Explorer
Taco Chaser,

Thanks for the reply. Was the Adventure Trailer body you have on your Taco vented ? However, I do realize it is a much bigger air chamber to work with.

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
Skim said:
Taco Chaser,

Thanks for the reply. Was the Adventure Trailer body you have on your Taco vented ? However, I do realize it is a much bigger air chamber to work with.
No they are not, but as you said, it's a larger area. I know they need at least 3.5" around the unit for proper ventilation, but I have never questioned the least amount of air volume/space allowed... I think your better judgement already answered your questioned when you thought to ask the question, if that makes sense.

A couple of small louvered plates on the sides would probably be all that is needed, but the best thing to do is contact the mfg of the fridge you plan on running.

Look into the small rv vents that are covered, They are basically a small 12 volt fan that would allow you plenty of air flow. They have a small solar panel on them that keeps them fully charged

Carlyle

Explorer
The hot air removed from the fridge must go somewhere, if you do not vent the fridge will be inefficient. One of those physics laws from some Greek guy back in high school.

madizell

Explorer
Refrigeration units operate by transferring heat out of the cooling box into the atmosphere. If you limit the air space around the unit, the temperature outside the box climbs. As the temperature rises, you are faced with two problems: 1) the R factor of the box needs to be increased to handle the higher temperature differential between inside and outside temperatures and since you can't increase the R value, increasing the heat differential reduces the efficiency of the box; and 2) the cooling unit has to work harder to reduce the inside temperature for the same basic reason -- the temperature differential between inside and outside the box. At some point, the refrigeration unit is going to reach its limit of ability to fight the heat differential and essentially will be unable to chill past that point.

I would suggest that placing a refrigeration unit inside a closed and unvented box is going to result in higher energy consumption, higher internal temperatures in the cooling box once the capacity of the chiller is reached, and a shorter service life. I would vent the box with lots of venting, and I would insulate the box to prevent insolation if the box is exposed to sunlight. I might even add a small vent fan in the wall of the outside box to force the exchange of air.

Last edited:

Skim

Explorer
I see we are all on the same page with this idea.

1. Vents are a must.
2. A fan would be ideal.
3. Box insulation is a good idea that I did not think about.

I might need a larger box.

Thanks for the tips.

Anyone else have this idea ?

Skim

Explorer
Have not found one yet, I think the only way to have one big enogh would be to build it myself or have a custom one built.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12