ARB fridge question

playhard

Observer
I have used the old version of the ARB fridge several time and it has always worked great. I order a new ARB fridge. I got it home, plugged it in and put in a few cans of soda in it for a test. I set the temperature to 37F and left it overnight. The next morning the soda did not feel that cold. I put a couple thermometers in the fridge for a couple hours. They both read in the mid 40’s. I had to set the temperature to 23F to get the thermometers to read in the mid 30’s. There was also some ice forming in one of the cooling lines inside the fridge. I contacted ARB and the store I got it form. They got me a new fridge very quickly. I put in 9 sodas and the 2 thermometers, set the temperature to 37F then left it overnight. This morning both thermometers read 50F. There is also a noise when the compressor is not running. It is kind of like a motor with bad bearings. That has me more worried than the lack of cooling. I have set the temperature to 23F and will give it overnight again.

So, I guess my question is has anyone else actually put a thermometer in their fridge? If the fridge that I have keeps making this noise, should I take it back and get the first fridge I had which did not make any noise when the compressor was not running?

Thanks for the help.

BenHedrick

Adventurer
I haven't put a thermometer in it but I keep mine set at 33-34 and my beverages feel like 33. Yours doesn't seem to be working properly.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
So, I guess my question is has anyone else actually put a thermometer in their fridge? If the fridge that I have keeps making this noise, should I take it back and get the first fridge I had which did not make any noise when the compressor was not running?

Thanks for the help.

My first ARB (purchased right after they came out with the new design 50L units) was faulty. Confirmed using both a refridgerator/freezer thermometer and a wireless one. ARB sent me a replacement ASAP along w/ a return shipping label. All I had to do was unpack the replacement then use the same box to send back the bad one. Excellent service from ARB.

The replacement continues to work to this day and I use it for both wheeling trips and beer storage at home.:drool:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i wonder if they are being shipped on they're sides or something and not enough time is passing to let the refrigerant to flow back into the compressor completely, odd that you get two faulty fridges in a row from a reputable company.

Expedition Leader
My new-style 37 qt ARB, 1.5 years old, works fine and is quiet - but you have to set the thermostat 7-8 degrees lower than the temperature you really want inside.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Mine will start freezing things when set at 28 degrees. The problem I have with mine is that as soon as my house battery is not fully charged and the vehicle is not running then the fridge will not run. It says error and cycles. ARB sent me a copy of a tech bulletin that claims this is a known problem and the solution is to buy their kit to hard wire it to the battery. I made my own and it still cuts off when the batt is 12.4 volts. I read stories about Engle fridges being decades old but this China POS will end up in the dumpster like most China made crap in no time. I have to run the engine to run the fridge. Give me a break.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
what size wire did you use to connect up the fridge ?

You need some good size wire to supply 10 amps 12 ft away from the battery without getting voltage drop

spikemd

Explorer
I have to have my 50qt set at 28F to keep things really cold. But it will start to freeze OJ/milk at that temp if the cartons are contacting the side of the fridge. If you have a lot of air in the fridge, then it really isn't and accurate reading. Try filling it up and letting it cool overnight to get a better idea of temps. Also, the top compartment will be 10 degrees higher than the main.

I have had mine for 2.5 years and it has worked flawlessly being on almost the whole time. In my truck on adventures and at home for beers...

I concur, it works best for beer, not soda...:ylsmoke:

playhard

Observer
I want to thank everyone for the good information on my problem.

I guess I need to working on my searching skills. Google found a thread on here that I was not able to find. Someone had the same problems I had with my ARB fridge. I called ARB again to confirm all the information. The noise I hear is normal when plugged into 110V. It is not present when running on 12V. I now know how to calibrate the thermometer and have it close enough for my satisfaction.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Mine lasted for almost four days of very hot temperatures - 35-40C - while camping last summer before the aux battery started to give out. My brother got a line on a few 230v solar panels so I'll be supplementing solar to keep the aux battery charged this year and the fridge working the whole trip. I find as well if it's not loaded up, it just doesn't read right on the temp gauge. Love the beer but there is nothing like an ice cold glass of milk while camping too!

corbin8or

Adventurer
I have had mine for two years and have used it with 120v and 12v, never a problem. In both cases you can barely hear it at all, I double check it all the tome thinking it stopped. I have the ARB harness and an Odyssey battery and have run it and my lift motor for 4 days without starting truck and when I packed up to go home it started right up. Maybe I'm just lucky? It does work best with beer!

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
I want to thank everyone for the good information on my problem.

I guess I need to working on my searching skills. Google found a thread on here that I was not able to find. Someone had the same problems I had with my ARB fridge. I now know how to calibrate the thermometer and have it close enough for my satisfaction.

Can you share this info? Mine needs to be set to 25-27 to stay under 40 degrees actual temperature.

Weeds

Adventurer
When you start the fridge, put 2 frozen bottles in the fridge, the temp inside will be below 35 within 15 minutes or less. You can immediately load your supplies. You do not have to start cooling the fridge the night before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger