ARB Locker air source options?

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I've been running my locker off of a 2.5 gallon VIAIR tank w/ one of those MV50 air compressors for a couple of years now and it has worked pretty well. The air tank doesn't hold enough air to drive any useful tool leaving me with the decision to upgrade the compressor (York) or pull the tank altogether. I've decided to simplify and pull the tank.

I'm looking for onboard air suggestions/opinions relative to the following criteria:

- Actuate air lockers
- Inflate 265/75/16 or 285/75/16 tires that have been aired down to no lower than 18psi to 32-40psi.
- Sustainable (Don't want to worry about CO2 fillups in the Yukon)
- Reliable

Right now I'm considering the ARB High Output air compressor despite it's slow air up times. The things I like about this air compressor are the simplicity of running air lockers off of it (no air tank required), and the positive reliability feedback given by others here on ExPo in previous threads on this subject.

Are there other air compressors that can be plumbed more or less directly to the air locker? E.g. I may need an inline regulator, but they have an integrated air reservoir like the ARB does.

Thanks for the opinions, suggestions, anecdotes, etc. :)

Craig

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
craig said:
I've been running my locker off of a 2.5 gallon VIAIR tank w/ one of those MV50 air compressors for a couple of years now and it has worked pretty well. The air tank doesn't hold enough air to drive any useful tool leaving me with the decision to upgrade the compressor (York) or pull the tank altogether. I've decided to simplify and pull the tank.

I'm looking for onboard air suggestions/opinions relative to the following criteria:

- Actuate air lockers
- Inflate 265/75/16 or 285/75/16 tires that have been aired down to no lower than 18psi to 32-40psi.
- Sustainable (Don't want to worry about CO2 fillups in the Yukon)
- Reliable

Right now I'm considering the ARB High Output air compressor despite it's slow air up times. The things I like about this air compressor are the simplicity of running air lockers off of it (no air tank required), and the positive reliability feedback given by others here on ExPo in previous threads on this subject.

Are there other air compressors that can be plumbed more or less directly to the air locker? E.g. I may need an inline regulator, but they have an integrated air reservoir like the ARB does.

Thanks for the opinions, suggestions, anecdotes, etc. :)

Craig

HERE is what Im using, Puma 12 volt.

285/85/16 18psi to 40psi at 2mins each at 4500'

I also have the hi output ARB comp and you better have a full tank of gas to air up.... The 1 thing I will give the ARB comp is that I have used it for 16 years and it is still going strong.

The arb comp does have a tank..its just very small.

Any air source can run your air locker as long as it has the output on a regulator.

You can divorce the tank on the Puma but you will need a small tank to run the Air locker.

The Puma is capable of running air tools, max output is at 140psi (per gauge). It can break loose and remove 6 lugs without any wait time using a 3/8 IR gun with no problem.

I have aired up 3 sets of tires and still am able to touch the comp head without getting burnt.

The Puma is the closest thing to a York I have found and it does it using only 22 amps.

craig

LandCruiserPhil said:
Any air source can run your air locker as long as it has the output on a regulator.

You can divorce the tank on the Puma but you will need a small tank to run the Air locker.

Phil,

Thanks for the reply. You've got me thinking...

Those two statements are what I was getting at in my original post. The ARB compressor has the built in tank, so I don't have to install a separate tank which then requires a draincock, regulator, blow off valve, etc and all the potential air leaks that come along with all that plumbing. I am looking for a compressor that has an integrated air tank, but a bit more cfm for airing up tires than the ARB.

I still have a VIAIR tank in the truck though, so if you and others can recommend a reliable compressor that can keep up with moderate air tool usage w/ a 2.5 gal tank I might give that a go instead. Otherwise, the tank is occupying valuable storage space. :)

That Puma is certainly cheaper than the ARB though. Hmmmmmm.... :)

Craig

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
http://www.oasismfg.com/Home.html

I know it's just an electric-driven York, but that's the beauty of it. No need to do all of the plumbing and adaption needed to run an engine-driven York, with most of the performance.

I have a York in my garage with all of the stuff to rebuild it and stick it on my motor, but I never got around to it. My ARB compressor is still chugging along...

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Project No. 632:

OBAassembly.jpg

It was going to be a How-to magazine article, but my contact disappeared in a bottle. Concept was to be able to build it with a drill, hacksaw, a couple files, and a welder.

craig

I'm waffling, but I'm pretty sure I have it narrowed down. Time to go grab a beer with the guys and decide in the morning.

1. "Simple", but slow to air up - ARB RCKMA12 - 2.18cfm at 29psi

2. GO BIG OR GO HOME - ExtremeFlow w/ my existing 2.5gal VIAIR tank. 8CFM @ 100psi. 200psi max. Looking into mounting options (ACE pump bracket?). http://4by4connection.com/extremeflow.html

I know I said I wanted to go simple, but option 2 is kinda sucking me in and reminding me what my original OBA goals were a couple years ago when I first mounted the tank.

SeaRubi

Explorer
:rappel:

is there really any question? go big or go HOME !!!!!!

bwwwhhhhhahahahahahhahahahahahahhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa ......
\

damn this is a bad drunk.

cheers :)

ginericLC

Adventurer
Craig,

What about just plumbing in your MV50 without a tank? I've run plenty of ARBs off of cheap compressors without tanks. For what you are talking about doing I'd run two MV50s. Hardwire one for your ARB with the ability to tap into it for air on the front tires and then use a second MV50 for the rear tires and as a back up.

craig

ginericLC said:
Craig,

What about just plumbing in your MV50 without a tank? I've run plenty of ARBs off of cheap compressors without tanks. For what you are talking about doing I'd run two MV50s. Hardwire one for your ARB with the ability to tap into it for air on the front tires and then use a second MV50 for the rear tires and as a back up.

I'm not going with another MV50. There are a few reasons:

- The MV50 constantly cycles on/off when connected to an 80/105 pressure switch and no air tank. I'm assuming this is the same with other air compressors, but ultimately that is why I posted the original question. You are the first person I've heard of who has had success running an air compressor w/o some sort of air tank.

- Despite reasonable performance, the MV50 isn't reliable enough. I originally bought 2 MV50s for $24.95 ea. The first one worked for a while, but developed an internal leak. I swapped in the second one, and isolated the tank from the MV50 w/ a one way valve. That one lasted all of 2 trips before it went belly up. In contrast, people talk in terms of 10 years or more when referring to their ARB compressors.

So, I'm left with the ARB as a replacement for the MV50. The ARB doesn't put out enough CFM to warrant even attempting to run air tools, so the tank is best removed and the storage space used for for other more important things.

All of that said, if I can figure out how to get it mounted, I'm going with the Extreme Air and moving the air tank from the cargo area to under the truck. I'm a sucker or all or nothing. :)

Craig

FlexyDisco

You will NOT be disappointed with the extreme air compressor. I put it on my disco about 6 months ago. Airs up my 285/75R16's from 8PSI to 32PSI quick(dont have a time) at about 2000 RPM's with a 2.5 gallon tank. Where I put the compressor I had to change the pully on the alt to get a good belt size from the local parts store. But the nice thing is that I can run the belt I got for the new set-up or a factory belt with no issue. Its running my rear locker and the tank.

If you want some pictures PM me and let me know
Good Luck!!!

Bob

Last edited:

ginericLC

Adventurer
craig said:
I'm not going with another MV50. There are a few reasons:

- The MV50 constantly cycles on/off when connected to an 80/105 pressure switch and no air tank. I'm assuming this is the same with other air compressors, but ultimately that is why I posted the original question. You are the first person I've heard of who has had success running an air compressor w/o some sort of air tank.

- Despite reasonable performance, the MV50 isn't reliable enough. I originally bought 2 MV50s for $24.95 ea. The first one worked for a while, but developed an internal leak. I swapped in the second one, and isolated the tank from the MV50 w/ a one way valve. That one lasted all of 2 trips before it went belly up. In contrast, people talk in terms of 10 years or more when referring to their ARB compressors.

So, I'm left with the ARB as a replacement for the MV50. The ARB doesn't put out enough CFM to warrant even attempting to run air tools, so the tank is best removed and the storage space used for for other more important things.

All of that said, if I can figure out how to get it mounted, I'm going with the Extreme Air and moving the air tank from the cargo area to under the truck. I'm a sucker or all or nothing. :)

Craig

HMMM! I've not hooked the MV50 to a pressure switch. If it cycling that must mean that the pump is not maintaining pressure and is leaking somewhere?

In the past I used even lessor compressors than the MV50 for the ARBs installed in my Cruisers and always had good luck. However, thinking about it now they were not high volume pumps but high pressure. Much different in pump design. A couple of things I did do. 1. Sealed everything tight with teflon tape. 2. Ditched the ARB blue line and used 1/8" standard nylon line. 3. I used good quality pressure switches (I can't remember the name but the local parts place recommended them). 4. I switched them together so that the compressor would only run when the locker was activated. There was no way to accidentially turn the compressor on without the ARB.

I'm not a fan of the ARB compressors especially the old ones. They weren't enough to air up tires let alone run air tools.

The Extreme Air is very nice. I wheeled with a guy with that setup in a Jeep. He told me to put my silly little pumps away. He did 3 of my 315s in the time I did one with a MV50 (Actually the Costco Tsunami). If you have the money to spend on that, by all means that is the best solution.

On my current LC project I'm going with a York instead of the smog pump. For my 100 series I'm just going to stick with the MV50s for airing up and figure out something else for the ARB in the front when I get around to installing it.

craig

FlexyDisco said:
You will NOT be disappointed with the extreme air compressor. I put it on my disco about 6 months ago. Airs up my 285/75R16's from 8PSI to 32PSI quick(dont have a time) at about 2000 RPM's with a 2.5 gallon tank. Where I put the compressor I had to change the pully on the alt to get a good belt size from the local parts store. But the nice thing is that I can run the belt I got for the new set-up or a factory belt with no issue. Its running my rear locker and the tank.

If you want some pictures PM me and let me know
Good Luck!!!

Bob

Thanks for the info Bob. I'm having trouble figuring out where to put it on the Disco II, but this is definetely the solution I want to go with. I've been looking at the ACE pump bracket, but there just isn't any room there. I'll PM you about the pictures.

Craig

craig

ginericLC said:
HMMM! I've not hooked the MV50 to a pressure switch. If it cycling that must mean that the pump is not maintaining pressure and is leaking somewhere?

In the past I used even lessor compressors than the MV50 for the ARBs installed in my Cruisers and always had good luck. However, thinking about it now they were not high volume pumps but high pressure. Much different in pump design. A couple of things I did do. 1. Sealed everything tight with teflon tape. 2. Ditched the ARB blue line and used 1/8" standard nylon line. 3. I used good quality pressure switches (I can't remember the name but the local parts place recommended them). 4. I switched them together so that the compressor would only run when the locker was activated. There was no way to accidentially turn the compressor on without the ARB.

I'm not a fan of the ARB compressors especially the old ones. They weren't enough to air up tires let alone run air tools.

The Extreme Air is very nice. I wheeled with a guy with that setup in a Jeep. He told me to put my silly little pumps away. He did 3 of my 315s in the time I did one with a MV50 (Actually the Costco Tsunami). If you have the money to spend on that, by all means that is the best solution.

On my current LC project I'm going with a York instead of the smog pump. For my 100 series I'm just going to stick with the MV50s for airing up and figure out something else for the ARB in the front when I get around to installing it.

Yeah, both of the MV50s leaked. I have a one way valve that I put between the pump and the air tank to temporarily solve the problem, but running it directly with the pressure switched sampling directly off of one of the two MV50 air ports didn't work so well.

I'm going to try and figure out how to do an Extreme Air. If that doesn't pan out, I'm going to go with the ARB for the locker, and a 10lb power tank for air ups (with the ARB as a backup).

Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger