ARB Prado 120 bull bar on GX470... Kinda fits...

beef tits

There is minimal info out there on this installation, and there are a lot of reasons ARB does not say this fits a GX. I took a gamble and installed one of these. It kinda works.

Here are a few take-aways.

1) Fitment is questionable at best. It does kind of fit but there are a lot of little things that are VERY different from a Prado. Mainly fenders and the hood.

Pro-tip: Just buy a bumper made for a GX, not one made for a Prado 120. ARB/Dobinsons/Ironman are all the same... not made for a GX... which is unfortunate because ARB in particular is the only company making quality bumpers in my opinion, Dobinson's is a close second.

2) Cutting your fenders is required (prepare for rust)

Pro-tip: leave the lower headlight mount point in place, this is necessary to keep the headlight stable and not break the upper tabs. The bumper will fit, you will have to trim around it. There is enough meat available to tie it back to the frame. I saw a video for an Iron Man bumper install (same fitment) and the dum-dum removed his headlight mounting bracket. Terrible idea.

3) Cutting your fender flares is required (impossible to get perfect)

Pro-tip: Remove the flares before installing the bumper. Cut away at them in increments until they fit with clearance for the bumper to move independently of the fender (GX is body on frame)

4) Cutting the ARB bumper is required if you want your hood to close and latch (so much for that powdercoating!)

Pro-tip: I cut this on the vehicle. Use blue tape. Cover your winch (if synthetic), cover your headlights, etc, to avoid sparks melting them. Yes I thought of this prior to it being an issue.

5) Opening your hood is a pain in the ass (unless you have tiny hands and/or salad fingers)

Pro-tip: Avoid opening your hood unless absolutely necessary.

6) Power steering cooler lines will need bent & modified at minimum. Factory line mounts need removed, and the lines are damn near impossible to keep from rubbing on the ARB hardware (power steering line will likely get a hole and leak over time)

Pro-tip: I wrapped my lines in foam where they contact the ARB hardware. Better than nothing. Short of taking the whole PS system apart, buying a tubing bender, and spending another 1-2 days on it... this was the best option.

7) A standard fairlead does not fit. You need a "Hawse Offset Fairlead", these do not typically come with a winch. The base of the winch (aka the bottom) will mount pointing forward on this bumper.

Pro-tip: order this ahead of time. Amazon had one to me in 24 hours, but I was lucky.

8) Winch can be mounted with the bumper on the vehicle. At least my M8000S was able to be mounted this way. It barely fit, but it fit. Clutch side goes in first, from as close as you can get to the driver's side of vehicle. Then, with the winch pushed half-way into the opening, slide to passenger's side, then push the power side of the winch up and in. Again, it BARELY fits, but it fits.

Pro-tip; This would have been slightly easier if I had removed the winch-line.

9) One person can do this install. Assuming that one person lifts weights once in a while. The bumper is heavy but not >200 lbs. Once the mounting bracket is on, the bumper can sit there loose while you diddle with fenders/etc.

Pro-tip: bend with your legs, not with your back.

IMG_9082.jpeg
IMG_9073.jpeg

Last edited:

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Great write-up. It looks great! I love the snug lines and high-up position. ARB really does make the best stuff and I think their bumpers just look classic and timeless... which is probably why i went with one too. lol
It sucks they didn't have one turn-key for your application. I'm not sure how much engineering time it would have cost to design for but, anywho, yours looks good now.

beef tits

Thanks! I agree ARB is a timeless design. The American made bumpers all look cheap to me.

ARB is also the only company that crash tests their bumpers to ensure they work with airbags, etc.

llamalander

Great looking fit--sounds like a bunch of work but it's clear why you did it.
-Aside, lots of vehicles use accelerometers for airbag sensors, independent of what the engineered crumple-zone is doing, so crash-testing is less of an issue when deployment isn't triggered by deformation of the stock bumper.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Thanks! I agree ARB is a timeless design. The American made bumpers all look cheap to me.

ARB is also the only company that crash tests their bumpers to ensure they work with airbags, etc.
I don’t see much difference between ARB and Ironman, they even have the same mounting design for crashes, go thru the same crash testing, etc.

beef tits

I don’t see much difference between ARB and Ironman, they even have the same mounting design for crashes, go thru the same crash testing, etc.
I can't say with experience, as I'd never buy their stuff in the first place, but the differences I see are cheesy marketing/branding, perpetual year round "20% off sales", and seemingly cheaper materials. Not exactly a Harbor Freight business model, but not far off.

I didn't know they crash tested, but I would bet it was in response to ARB, Ironman seems more like a knockoff brand.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I can't say with experience, as I'd never buy their stuff in the first place, but the differences I see are cheesy marketing/branding, perpetual year round "20% off sales", and seemingly cheaper materials. Not exactly a Harbor Freight business model, but not far off.

I didn't know they crash tested, but I would it was in response to ARB, Ironman seems more like a knockoff brand.
It’s really like comparing Chevy to ford. Or maybe ford/Chevy to Chrysler…😆

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Great looking fit--sounds like a bunch of work but it's clear why you did it.
-Aside, lots of vehicles use accelerometers for airbag sensors, independent of what the engineered crumple-zone is doing, so crash-testing is less of an issue when deployment isn't triggered by deformation of the stock bumper.
I don't know if they do for all models but it seems that Australian companies crash test bullbars for vehicles they get there. It's not as simple as just relying on the inertial sensors to trigger on force, there's deployment timing that has to be proven.

If all you do is bolt on a completely rigid bumper in place of the original crash bar and plastic that was there the airbag may trigger at a different time since the stock front end dissipates energy through its intentional disintegrating.

Airbags have become more integrated and intelligent, so it's not something that can be said universally. A first generation airbag from the 1990s is a lot different than what was done since or now. In this case Aussie companies are unique in that the commercial aftermarket is re-engineering parts of vehicles.

Last edited:

eblau

Adventurer
Great write up, I was going to go with an Ironman because I like the old school bull bar style but couldn't stomach the ARB price. I stumbled on a guy that sells a generic branded Prado bumper that is resold in other parts of the world under different brand names (I can't think of any at the moment but there's a guy an aussie guy on you tube installing one on a black Prado). Anyways, I ordered it and I think I paid $1200 shipped to the nearest depot and picked it up myself. The install was about the same as the Ironman/ ARB however I did not have to trim for the hood at all and I had enough room for a Warn XD UNDER the bumper along with a roller fairlead. For the money I don't think you can beat it. Super customer service from the guy also. Soflo bumpers is the guys company out of I think Miami.

ED957D03-8452-4A64-A1FF-B183AEB2FE57.jpeg

beef tits

If I recall the ARB weighs about 60-80 lbs more than the Ironman bumper. The mounting reinforcement is better, twice as thick, and it has built in recovery points. This is a case where you do get what you pay for.

The LFD bumper on my last GX mounted similarly to the Ironman, and it bent my frame on a straight-ahead snatch block pull with an 8,000 lb winch. Hope yours works out but for +$600 I'll take the peace of mind.

ARB: (the last bolt goes in the red circle)
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 10.39.48 AM.png

Ironman;Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 10.37.59 AM.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior