ARB Simpson III mattress issues

the dude

Adventurer
I finally got my new tent and so far so good except for the mattress. It won't stay in place. The velcro is not holding the tent and every time you fold the tent up it falls off, which leads to it getting pinched between the base when you go to deploy.

Has anybody else ran into this issue?

Also, there are a set of 1" webbing straps inside attached to the middle hoop but they don't appear to do anything? Any ideas? They are about 3ft long with a small loop on the loose end

IMG_0440.jpg

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
You might mention it to cruiseoutfitter, he sells them, and has spent an ungodly number of nights in his already. Pretty sure he could answer your questions for you...

EricGagne

Adventurer
I have the same issue with my CampingLab. I don't think it's a big deal, you just need to remember to unzip the door a bit and pull the mattress to allow the tent to unfold completely.

As for the 2 straps, I had to ask here too because I couldn't figure it out. They're there for people to hold onto them when climbing in or out.

the dude

Adventurer
unfortunately its a problem for us. The mattress cover is already cut from getting pinched, and I am up over 7ft in the air. I have to be standing on the ladder to pull the mattress out (which is what I did the first time and cut the cover) I don't want to do that if I don't have to.

May I will look into a strap that goes across the mattress on top to hold it down, or maybe increase the hook and loop contact patch?

Good tip on the straps. My wife will like that!

Thanks all. Hopefully Kurt will chime in with a possible solution.

08whitex

Adventurer
I have a Camping Lab and my brother has an ARB. We both have the same issue. Thing that we do is as you are opening the tent you can push the mattress away from the seam from underneath the tent. That works good if you have 2 people.

AKRover

Adventurer
I have a Camping Lab and my brother has an ARB. We both have the same issue. Thing that we do is as you are opening the tent you can push the mattress away from the seam from underneath the tent. That works good if you have 2 people.

That's what I do when opening my ARB III. It's kind of a pain but I haven't figured out a better solution yet.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
There are a couple of ways to deal with the matress in the hinge, I'll gather my thoughts and grab some pics. I'll say that it is not an issue for me ;)

As for the loose straps attached at the hinge. They are there to help you make the 'break-over' as you climb the ladder into the tent, use them to pull yourself into the tent if needed.

the dude

Adventurer
Thanks Kurt!

We where brainstorming to see if a thin peice of puck board attached to one side and bolted through big slots on the other with big flat pan heads might work??

Looking forward to your thoughts

cruiseroutfit

...We where brainstorming to see if a thin piece of puck board attached to one side and bolted through big slots on the other with big flat pan heads might work??

I suppose it might? The solution I'm working on is a little simpler.

...Looking forward to your thoughts

10-4, I'll try and get something soon. Its going to be part of an upgrade kit that I've been working on.

fubuki

Observer
As for the loose straps attached at the hinge. They are there to help you make the 'break-over' as you climb the ladder into the tent, use them to pull yourself into the tent if needed.

I've been wondering what those were for. I finally tucked them under the mattress. Out of sight, out of mind. :coffeedrink:

the dude

Adventurer
Kurt, you ready to go into mass production with these things yet. 10 nights in our tent and I can say if this doesn't drive you crazy you are a better man then I!!

cruiseroutfit

Kurt, you ready to go into mass production with these things yet. 10 nights in our tent and I can say if this doesn't drive you crazy you are a better man then I!!

100+ nights and the reason it doesn't drive me crazy is because it doesn't happen ;) Kit is still in the works, initially we planned to only continue the free kits for tents we sell/ship but if there is interest I'm sure we can put them in the system as a retail item.

cruiserlarry

One Crazy FJ
Also, there are a set of 1" webbing straps inside attached to the middle hoop but they don't appear to do anything? Any ideas? They are about 3ft long with a small loop on the loose end

Those are straps to assist you in entering the tent - you put your hands through the loops to help pull yourself into the tent while climbing up the ladder...:bike_rider:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears