ARB Simpson III on a longbed Silverado?

emillika

Observer
I am contemplating a setup that would include some sort of ladder rack installed on my 2005 3500HD Duramax Silverado. I need to come up with a plan to mount the ARB Simpson III rooftop tent to the ladder rack. Thoughts? Pics?

Thanks.

Elmer

E-rock

I've tried a few things similar on my truck. Currently, I'm building a low-pro cage, but the Thule Xsporter works nicely for rooftop tents, assuming you don't have a canopy. At its lowest, the RTT barely clears the cab, keeping center of gravity down and there's still plenty of room for gear boxes underneath. With the RTT off and the xsporter up, you can easily and securely haul lumber and ladders. Super stout unit, all aluminum extrusion, and relatively affordable. Oh, and if you hate it, they hold their value on CL.

emillika

Observer
Seems the Thule has a load capacity of 450 lbs. ... me, two boys and wife won't allow that. Would also like something that extends over the crew cab.

Starting to look at nice caps along with different ladder racks that can be modded.

General Automag

Adventurer
We just recently purchased an Ironman4x4 RTT with the annex room and awning. We're going to mount it to the Thule Xsporter rack. The Thule rack we've had for over six years, and it's a good medium-duty rack that we use for mainly for carrying ladders and various kayaks and canoes. We've also mounted a cargo basket, the Thule Moab rack with the extension, and this allows for easy storage of items when you need the bed for hauling large items such as a four-wheeler.

With the Thule rack extended to one of the top or upper positions, you will be able to fully utilize the annex rooms that come with most roof top tents. I see a lot of people mounting RTTs to trailers without having a way to raise them up, and then the annex rooms become rather useless as they bunch up on the ground. 'Will post pictures when we have everything installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears