ARB vs ironman awning

Richietherocket

Adventurer
Mragu,
What size are you looking for? AutoAnything only has the short one in stock. Everyplace that I called did not have them either.
If you are looking for a short one, I will make you a deal on my ARB shorty on the back of my FJC.

Thanks

Mragu

I am looking for the 2500 sized one. Need to pass on the shorter one. I am liking that Ironman has a model that is not too wide (2meters) but comes out 2.5 meters. This might work best. Also found the ones with LED lights.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
LED LIGHTS? Are we talking about tailgating at HS football games or serious expedition? ARB USA: Reason #4 the Taliban hates us.

Mragu

No H.S football games here. Some Boy Scout camp outs (non-hiking) and hunting trips. Only so much "serious expedition" we can do here in Florida.

So I have both an Ironman and an ARB awning on my FJC.
I have the little 4ft ARB that is great. Easy to deploy, gives good shade for the rear table built into the door. No complaints. I have had it for about 6 months now. Gets deployed every weekend while I am at bike races.

I just got the 6.5ft Ironman over the weekend from TRDParts4u. They did not have it stock, as most dont carry them in stock anyhow. Was shipped direct from Ironman (NJ office that is moving to CA) within 5 days to me in Colorado. They are primarily the same awning. The bags are different, the guy lines are different and the tent stakes are different. That is about it. The cool thing with the Ironman, they have built in LED lights now. One strip that comes with a cigarette charger and an adapter to your battery to light them up. The poles, the fabric and the patches at the corners are all the same.

I really wanted the matching ARB 6.5ft awning but nobody had them, ARB did not know when they were getting them. The ARB guy was up front, appreciated my business and loyalty but said if you really need to have one, you should find someone who has one. I told him about the Ironman one and he did not talk "bad" about it one bit. Props to them for not trying to bash another product.

I have to say though, I like the Ironman awning. The bag is black so it does not show off the red dirt of the desert. The LED is a nice touch. Eli at Ironman was great to speak with about the differences and availability of them. Plus TRDParts4u has a coupon for 10% off all Ironman products (ironman10) and they do free shipping on all Ironman stuff. Got the awning for $214.00 shipped to my door. Saved about $60 dollars over anyone else.

Good luck with your decision. Biggest question is: Do you want a big black bag or a big tan bag on the side of rig?

Do they mount exactly the same way and can use the same mounts?

ebg18t

Adventurer
i am using the Ironman 6.5' model. looks almost identical to ARB's. The ARB was out of stock when i was shipping so i bought the Ironman. Honestly either one is good quality.

Richietherocket

Adventurer
Do they mount exactly the same way and can use the same mounts?
As far as I can tell, they both use the same aluminum backing plate that is around 4" tall. I made some custom mounts to use on my Garvin rack. Cost about $15 from Ace Hardware and they are rock solid.

Kohburn

Adventurer
does the ARB 6.5 model extend out as far as the Ironman? I haven't been able to find that dimensional information anywhere for the ARB.

Kohburn

Adventurer
may as well update - I ordered the ARB and it is 2000x2100 - so smaller than the ironman (2000x2500)

not a big deal but makes me wish that i had bought the ironman.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
may as well update - I ordered the ARB and it is 2000x2100 - so smaller than the ironman (2000x2500)

not a big deal but makes me wish that i had bought the ironman.

I noticed that too. Not a big deal but doesn't hurt to have the extra shade. I was set on buying an ARB but found a used (basically new) Ironman in the classifieds and couldn't pass it up. Don't think you can go wrong.

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
10702109_10152342872381596_3320516822641826448_n.jpg

10653544_10152326678181596_3599881045896843607_n.jpg

We love our Ironman4x4 awnings

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears