"Arctica" 2015 Crewmax Platinum Tundra Build

lawdot74

Impressive build!

So many things I'm planning to do to my '16 CM due to be delivered in a week or so.

A couple questions about the rack if I may.
Why Eezi-awn over Front Runner, LabRak etc.?
What are the dimensions of that rack?
How far forward does it over hang the cab?
How high did you mount it over the cap and how much clearance did that yield at the cab?

Again, very impressive build. Looking to poach a bunch of ideas. Thanks for sharing.

wikid

Adventurer
Love it. I want one

Thank you !!

Damn, that's sharp

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Thank You !!

Impressive build!

So many things I'm planning to do to my '16 CM due to be delivered in a week or so.

A couple questions about the rack if I may.
How high did you mount it over the cap and how much clearance did that yield at the cab?

Again, very impressive build. Looking to poach a bunch of ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, I enjoy the entire process of figuring all of this out

I chose EezI-Awn because I have a good working relationship with Equipt Outfitters, http://www.equipt1.com/. Paul May is a household name in the industry and with his guidance and knowledge base, we were able to plan a custom install that turned out to be the perfect fit for my situation. Features seems to be similar, from one company to the other. The important features were, versatility in mounting solutions, for lights accessories and also the actual mounting to the cap. Considering I have no RTT yet I did wing it a bit, but I think I have all the bases covered, for most any one I choose .

86.5" X 55" From your question, it's obvious you do your homework well. These were the exact questions I had initially, because everything really hinges on placement . I factored in many things and went back and forth with a few of them. Important to me was fitting a RTT, plus having the ability to have some of the forward rack free, to mount lights etc. The width was what really got me thinking. I believe the other width available was 50". The form and function collided with this decision.
Do I make it more narrow, so it's more streamline on the roof?
Will the tent overtake the width of the rack and is that important?
I also had to consider how my lights would be mounted and make sure they functioned, like i expected them to.

After much thought on all of this, I felt that the width of the rack needed to extended a little further out from the cap, so the lighting would not loose the entire field of the beam. I thought the width would still fit within the form, which although secondary, it still had to look right. Then, after ordering it, I second guessed this until I actually waa able to install it. I think it came out fine, especially with the light install.

Another important decision . Factors I included in this decision were.
Will the rack impede, the performance or vision, of the sunroof in any way?
How will the light project from the roof?

The rack is actually 18" forward from the back lip of the truck cab.

These questions were answered with complete success. No sun roof problems, no extra noise that I can seem to relate to it and the type of light and the way they are, positioned are actually ideal for performance. I wanted it to be behind the sunroof, hoping it would also not create too much wind noise. Baja Designs and I http://www.bajadesigns.com/products...road-led-lighting/xl-racer-edition-led-lights planned out the entire system , to give me complete coverage over 170 degrees. The lights on the roof are called the Baja Designs Racer series, that are extremely long pencil beams. This was a big win. I even have the lights in a slight fan formation, to get coverage way out and a little wider than the truck. When I designed my FJ Cruiser lighting system, I went for the same goals, so when designing this one. It was pretty easy to get that covered. This system may even have better coverage than the FJ . Each of the (6) racers on the roof, are 4300 lumens each, of very specific usable light . I have them set up on 3 circuits, banks of 2 inners, intermediate and wide coverage. I can pick and choose

I wanted it to be behind the sunroof, hoping it would also not create too much wind noise. Success on both counts,

Interesting question

The rack came with 2 pedestal height. I think there may have been a slight mistake in shipping that ended up working out just fine. There are 2 or 3 different heights. I actually received 4 of them at the lower height and the other 4 were at the higher position. At first I install the 4 high ones and then realized the lower ones were not even close. I called Paul and he was going to ship out 4 of the higher ones. I told him to hold of, so I tried the lower ones and liked the height . I just gave a little lower profile. I actually took the higher ones and cut them down the fit with the lower ones. Its a little close and on hard articulation I can get pretty close, with the body flex, but I can adjust them slightly higher, then put a lock bolt in to keep it correct, but I want to investigate if I need to to this yet . If I see it is just too close with a RTT on I can just get the larger ones and call it a day.

Last edited:

wikid

Adventurer
Everything looks great!!! Nice job, Don

Thanks Bailey. You all were "rock stars" on getting the correct lighting configuration for this build. Now that the S8 Amber, is in the grill, it feels more complete. For this reason, I choose to support companies that provide excellent product and the knowledge to help make decisions on what would be correct .

lawdot74

Thanks for the prompt and detailed response.

I am trying to do my homework... I'm also trying not to buy accessories until I actually have the truck.

I wonder if it is the welded nature of the Eezi-Awn that allows it to handle that 18" over the cap. The guys at FrontRunner don't recommend anything over 8" forward of the foremost mounting bracket. I'd like to be able to store four maxtrax (8 lb ea) behind a set of lights in that area over the cab. They are a little over a foot wide so I imagine this should be doable and not too much to ask from this kind of rack system.

The small bed of the crewmax and therefore small footprint up top do not give much space for a hardtop RTT. I may have to go with a fabric RTT instead especially if I insist on putting the maxtrax up there too. I've considered mounting a rack over the cab like some of the taco guys: www.tacomaworld.com/media/topper.483627 but can't bring myself to drill holes in the cab. I haven't even taken delivery of the truck yet so permanent modifications can wait. Too bad Toyota didn't provide roof rack mounting points on the cab of the Tundra like the Tacoma.

I'm still holding out for when you install the hardshell RTT. Your rack is the perfect size for a maggiolina... but you knew that ;)

Cascadia-vehicle-tents

Supporting Sponsor
WARNING!!!!
Do Not Use LabRak.
Aka. Metric TLC
Aka. Shane Walters
He (Shane) hides behind everything. He will not answer calls, emails or texts. They (LabRak,Metric TLC,Shane Walters) owe us over $3300 now for 6 months. No product. No updates. Nothing. They have also kept money from other customers for months and have not given them anything as well. They have deleted all of the customers comments and now shut down their IG page. We will never recommend them. This is not the only time this has happened. We are taking them to court. He wanted this and asked for it. We are very forgiving but he does not give a ********!
Do Not Use Them!

There are also tons of threads where this is happening to a lot of folks. IHMUD,TW<Expedition Portal etc..
If you are one of the people who have been screwed please contact the attorney general's office who is handling the case.
You can contact:
rebecca.papke@doj.state.or.us

Case #FF3738-15

wikid

Adventurer
WARNING!!!!
Do Not Use LabRak.
Aka. Metric TLC
Aka. Shane Walters
He (Shane) hides behind everything. He will not answer calls, emails or texts. They (LabRak,Metric TLC,Shane Walters) owe us over $3300 now for 6 months. No product. No updates. Nothing. They have also kept money from other customers for months and have not given them anything as well. They have deleted all of the customers comments and now shut down their IG page. We will never recommend them. This is not the only time this has happened. We are taking them to court. He wanted this and asked for it. We are very forgiving but he does not give a ********!
Do Not Use Them!

There are also tons of threads where this is happening to a lot of folks. IHMUD,TW<Expedition Portal etc..
If you are one of the people who have been screwed please contact the attorney general's office who is handling the case.
You can contact:
rebecca.papke@doj.state.or.us

Case #FF3738-15

Bobby
That would be enough for me not to ever use them. Thanks for the information. Too bad there are those, who cannot do business right and scam from others. It gives the entire industry a black eye. Luckily we also have venues to spread the word about these bad companies :)

pnwexplorer

This has been Driving me nuts, since I bought my truck. I never understood why Toyota didn't do something to the embossed emblems . I wanted to do something custom, but for now, this was the best solution I could find. it's actually a vendor, that does work for Toyota . I looked on fleabay and didn't like what I saw, so I ponied up for the high dollar stuff

These are considered black Chrome and they actually are high quality

Where did you get this one if you didn't like the one from the bay.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
awesome truck. its just awesome. I want my F150 build to come out like this! except a cheaper version ha ha! awesome work!

wikid

Adventurer
Where did you get this one if you didn't like the one from the bay.

There is a company locally that makes them . Mostly sold at the dealerships. You pay a premium, but I wanted them that day, since I was leaving for Vegas the next day. So to anser it i got it through Camelback Toyota

awesome truck. its just awesome. I want my F150 build to come out like this! except a cheaper version ha ha! awesome work!

Thank you .
Forming a plan is the best way to curb the costs. Good luck and keep us posted.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I got my F150 essentially free, so that's part of the cheaper route. ha ha ha. I am deciding if I am just adding good shocks or am I going to a custom suspension setup. I have 285s on now and they ride, handle and perform great. So, I may just stay with the good shock deal and add the accessories I want.

wikid

Adventurer
Do you know the size of the roof rack platform you used?
The rack size is 89"x55" you could get it in 52 width as well, but with the width of the Tundra , it made sense to have it slightly wider than the roof line, so the lights could actually hang further over

Here is a recap of the lights chosen for the grill and the back of the rack
I have a few pieces of the puzzle that will almost complete my lighting system. I have been waiting for these since July, when I saw the first prototype at the FJ Cruisers Summit. some delays on manufacturing caused some delay, but here they are. Baja Designs S8's
20" of the rear rack in amber combination pattern and 30" for the hood bulge, or grill. At this point I think it will end up in the grill. The housing is bigger than the opening and would cause lots of custom fab work.
The scallop housing and the back lit feature make this a really cool addition
The lenses for for the 30", will be switched to amber too
DB Customs is working on a grill design that will incorporate the new design. I may have a pro grill up for grabs if this works out the way I think it will. Plan be would be to incorporate it into the pro grill

20"
S8, 20" Driving/Combo LED Light Bar

30"
S8, 30" Driving/Combo LED Light Bar

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78