Are Defenders overpriced?

vasily

Adventurer
It depends on where you are in the world. Simple supply and demand. And there's a lot of demand in North America.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscoDavis

Explorer

Happykamper

Explorer
IMHO No vehicle is overpriced . It's what one party wants to sell for and the other will pay. That's makes market value.
I also believe that at times people want something and then they see the price and there natural reaction is " it's overpriced " I've done this 1000 's of times only to see it sell. So it was not overpriced.
If a defender is what your eye is on, but you don't want to pay the price, it's ok. But someone will. If it's just that you don't want to save to meet the market value ... Well that's something only you can figure out.
But to say something is overprice because it's just not your taste, or you don't want to pay the price 0r simply that you can't afford it at this time . Is certainly not because it's over priced .

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I stand by what I say for the V8. Of course someone is going to mention the market is willing to pay what it is willing to pay... not saying this is breaking the capitalist system, just a funky price.

80k USD for a Td5 however... Wish that was US legal. New favorite landy motor.

Red90

Adventurer
The west coast is a special place with special people. That said, your examples are restored truck which is a difficult market to price. Normal market price for a decent TD5 110 in Canada is $25000.

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Are Defenders overpriced?

- Wait 3-5 years and ask again. Then they will be REALLY overpriced.

- Oh, look. It has a Buick V8, an automatic transmission, is 20 years old. BUT IT IS AN NAS ��.

- Not overpriced in Europe, unless seller knows it is CA/US importable.

ze_zaskar

Observer
IMHO, yes, they are for what they are, specially compared to Discos. And I'm talking from Portugal where we have tons and tons of Land Rovers on the road.

Our 90 300Tdi costed €7.500,00 4 years ago, way before the current price pike. Today I could sell it for €12.000,00.

5 months ago we bought a 1998 very late production Discovery 300Tdi, mint, mint, mint condition for €7.000,00. With leather seats, new tires, etc. So less money for basically the same chassis with a much more complete and civilized body.

But then, value/price is in the eye of the beholder. I still prefer the Defender

sheep_dog

Observer
The Defender could easily be seen as over priced, but for me it was worth every penny. Yes I could of bought a new Jeep or Toyota with the amount I paid for mine. But to me the Defender is more than just a vehicle, its a statement about your life style. Even though it may not be the fastest, warmest, or prettiest and far from comfortable, I love mine to death. Every time I take the Defender out, I get compliments on it. I go and admire it sitting in my garage and still drool over it every time.

GREENI

Adventurer
I just rebuilt an exportable 90 here in the UK.... Ideal for the US market. But, I'm afraid I've built it to be kept forever. Sorry guys.

I agree with the first comments of 'demand'. The US seem to love them, but the prices do look a little scary from this side of the pond.

Blueboy

Adventurer
Yes. However classic supply and demand.

After owning a D90 as well as a D110, my favorite is still my '94 RRC LWB.

spikemd

Explorer
Some people are trying to price ROW (rest of world) defenders like the NAS (north American spec) vehicles of which only 1500 D90s and 500 D110s made it to the states. All roll caged, v8 and 50 state legal, which is a big deal here in California. Some high dollar vehicles are complete restorations and essentially new vehicles. A huge variation out there. But it is an uncomfortable, noisy tractor with 4 doors. That being said, I have been trying to import one and it has taken over a year and still isn't stateside even though I purchased it last April. To have one here and registered commands extra money.

czenkov

Adventurer
Rare, True

Copied from ECR site.

PRODUCTION:
Year/Model: Soft Top Wagon
1994 1943 USA, 87 Canada NA
1995 1190 510
1997 1499 1300

98roamer

Explorer
My buddy I grew up with who now lives in Italy just shipped a 1990 D90 5speed 4cyc diesel 170k, locking diffs to Cincinnati Ohio and he's going to be asking $28,500 for it. It arrived Monday but wow that's some $$$. I'm asking him to look for a LC 78 for me. He says the D110 are hard to find over there.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
INSANELY overpriced. Yes, as stated it is supply and demand. But I'll add real logic to the discussion. When I bought my '95 Wrangler new , the D90 (still available new in the US) had only 2 more HP than a Wrangler. And it didn't perform any better out of the box. And it had Lucas electronics. And it was expensive. And the aftermarket isn't as good. Blah blah blah. It's a purchase of passion and status more than anything these days.

When we lived in Germany I loosely looked for a D110 to bring back in addition to our G Wagen. Prices for same year and such Gs and Defenders (both diesels) were WAY different with the G being MUCH more expensive. I probably don't need to explain why.

I do think they are cool. I also think air cooled 911s are cool, but I've been priced out of that market too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger