Are fairings worth it?

Mitch502

Explorer
Currently I have my custom built RTT on my Jeep's factory cross bars. I get little to no road noise from it. Total height of the tent is 7" + ~2" for the ladder. So 9" total as an estimate.

Do fairings make a difference in gas mileage? I know driving a giant square, 4x4, v8, with another giant square on top isn't going to get good gas mileage. But does it help at all? If building a cheap fairing is going to save me money in the long run, I'll build one.

Input is appreciated!

tarditi

Explorer
Anything will help, but if you're not getting any noise from it you may actually create some by adding it - if you're going the DIY approach, it can't hurt to try and get some MPG averages

Something as simple as how far forward or aft the RTT is mounted (if it's in the slip or not) can make an impact. Like you said, box with a box on top (not formula 1 or anything!) but over the course of a long distance trip at highway speeds could make enough difference to justify the prototyping. Also gives you a good mounting surface for stickers!

Mitch502

Explorer
My RTT is back as far as it can go, so I'm covered in that department.

I'm taking the same trip as previously (2.5 hours highway) and last time I managed to somehow get 16MPG...We'll see what I get this time and go from there.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I built my own a while back...
With a Eezy Awn on top It def made a difference especially when driving with a headwind.
After switching to a Columbus Variant I built a wider and higher fairing...
I dont know if it made that much of a difference on MPG on the second run, but it sure helped with the noise....and it helps keeps the bugs and road grime from the front of the RTT.

JdTZ-rwSesOPBJV-RkSZuw-dZQ6wXMTbl1I2-9_6TyymDcxi_AdBcCvOYDYkibAnKzvM-9PhUdHHue7qjsnKeeyRsXqLruGCwRteHkG05AC9a-ckpgQeQgBWjm82nwUnVIRDGgN5RFDGFIHapEeE_fakSPjwLaBwU8QzmMfTcGTS7TIBhpO049Ch3luRJDzwS5xl3vzb_nNcIRhcXXFZ1JD5A7qzYgy4-YQJBvX1tCZWtR1r-lVXw6KVeHxO5lnUUg0jl7LXMtlXdVwnxzzfOPC4oN4dB4UDoK2n_kgzSSZNf1UypZUhuwcKmctEzjZw0GmvLstiq8Fa9A9uWI1jA5hYQf3ZPxiJoAIddMxSy2HutI0dnSlI6_MdKD__StD0dQu2AtZk4ETt3ltFxhOZ5M10taiu9F-sIUOjmR1iluSP0IejA21ip6k6FSz4np7kdmG3XxBAvxyGsnGy9uD4q-QBkb5SZ7ug8sBEgB2z-3BDpuGN_EUlQH8KG7vbl6pSwom-7gAH5LRuY9o5ZKcCEfOUSFT8_muGS3o_7hvL3Tv1=w943-h731-no

Last edited:

radorsch

Adventurer
My yakima fairing helped with road noise (why I installed it), but no change in mileage (on a 700 mile trip). Of course, I have an even bigger box that had a 13" high box on it... Talk about a setup for craptacular mileage!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12