Are instant tents replacing small Pop ups?

madmax718

Explorer
Short of a Loo and Shower, Im having a tough time trying to decide whether a "pop up" trailer, especially in the small variety, makes sense anymore.

The instant tents are now more affordable, offer some similiar square footage, and setup in the same amount of time.

About the only "downside" i see is that a pop up trailer has no lumps, and can be leveled.

Their only about the same water proofness.

the big ones, are full stand in height.

Anything im missing here?

ZMagic97

Explorer
I live in Arizona, so rain is often not an issue. As for the ground, yeah you may get some lumps from uneven surfaces and rocks. I have a Coleman Instant Dome tent that I have used on a couple trips, one of which was even in some rain. I go into remote areas which is nice because then tent folds up and just slides into the back of the Jeep unlike pulling a trailer. When I get to my spot, I pop it open in less than 2 minutes and throw an air mattress inside. To take it down, it's just as easy. It is very water resistant and did not leak a drop in the rain which was a constant medium rain for about 5 hours. I have not used a pop up trailer, so I cannot speak about them.

As for the tent, it is one of the best camping items I have ever purchased. I am extremely happy with it.

Erik N

Adventurer
Loo's and showers are for little girls. Sorry to chap your style.

There is something to be said for sleeping off the ground. Check into tentcots. Best money spent for a shelter.

98dango

Expedition Leader
A good tent is nice but I am looking at a small pop up. It's the most bang for the buck. We do to many types of camping roving base long distance base and long distance roving. No I have not found one set up that is perfect. A tent is close but I'm getting to a point where sleeping on the ground no longer what I want. I have tried the RTT twice and just don't like to have to close up shop every time I want to drive my truck. Ok I can mount it on a trailer. Well now your towing some thing so why not tow a trailer that gets you more room and comfort in the same space.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I've been using Airzone tents for over 7 years and they are fabulous-

SUNP0250.jpg

SUNP0251.jpg

They take about a minute to inflate and don't lose any air--

They pack into small duffel baglike canvas cases

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Erik N

Adventurer
Just bought another Tentcot. Now I own 2.

They are that good.

Leave a foam mattress inside, hang a cheap headlamp from the roof. Done. It sets up in 2 minutes (yes, I have timed it). I slept through many a South Texas downpour in one, snug as a bug.

madmax718

Explorer
Your right- shower and loo's are for the girls. If the mrs aint happy.. will you be?

But there are more and more "instant" tents which have full stand up height. (well, depending on how tall you are). They are tall and big enough for you to fit cots inside. The coleman 8 person (albiet 8 small people) is 76 inches tall at the center inside. Its not domed shaped, so you have still a lot of space (depending on how tall you are). The interior floor space is 14x8; you can definately fit two 3x7 cots. the other 8 person unit is 14x10 ft. with a 6'5 interior max height, and two doors. Compressed size of this unit is under 12x12x46 .

I have the 4 person version- its good for 2- and leaves you room for gear, and a luggable loo for the midnight calls. having a full height would have been better. I use my car/truck all season floor mats as a door mat. Lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears