Are sliding cargo doors really that bad?

Hound

Sheepdog
Decided to get an e-series wagon with hopes of turning into an expo/camper platform eventually. I found pretty much exactly what I was looking for in terms of options BUT the van in question does have the sliding cargo door which I did not want. The reason I didn't want a sliding cargo door was a direct result of all the negative comments I encountered about them during my online research. This is my first van and I don't know anyone who owns a van, so I was hoping to tap into the wealth of knowledge here. Please chime in on your experience with sliding cargo doors on the e-series vans, be it positive or negative. As a point of reference, the van in question is new (2014 MY).

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I've had two vans with sliders. I ordered my newest van specifically with a slider. I don't think they're all that bad really. I'm happy with my decision
Some of the pros and I see them are:
-in tight parking, you can open the door all the way.
-when its open, its out of the way
-big picture window for the passengers to stare at the scenery
-simple to maintain and adjust
The cons:
-with a 4x4 and big tires, you have some mods to do to get them to work and you're limited on tire size if you want to keep things simple
-Its a heavy door and kids have a hard time getting it open/closed (my wife has hard time too if we're parked on a hill)
-And because of its heft... if it isn't locked in place when it is open and you're standing in its way when it decides to roll closed (parked on a hill again)...watch out.
non of the cons are all that bad though. I'd rather deal with them than have the barn doors with their own set of cons... Comes down to preference really.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
The only thing wrong with them is tire clearance once 4wd. So if you want to go 4wd, it may be a good idea to wait for a barn door.

Jeffh555

Observer
I personally really like my sliding door. I've had one on a cargo E250 and now on my passenger E350. I intentionally sought out the slider.

I like that they don't take up any space at the campsite or parking lot when they're open. I also like that it's just one door to open, not two. It also provides a bigger window that potentially makes the space feel bigger.

There are definite downsides. You do need to use a little force to close them (this is on my 99 and 00, it may be easier on a new one). This isn't an issue for me or my girlfriend, but if you are an older couple or have small kids, it might be an issue. I like the storage that people have built into their doors, this isn't an option for me.

The biggest deal breaker for some is that there is limited clearance for bigger tires. It is possible to extend the slider pivot arm, but from what I've read, it isn't a simple job. IIRC QuadVan can extend the slider pivot arm. I plan to figure it out myself eventually, but for now it isn't a big issue as I'm still on stock size tire (for now).

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I like barn doors, to make an outdoor shower lol.
And the simplicity of hinges vs tracks n stuff.
I once had a co. work van that had a slider, it was great for tight space areas.
If I'm not mistaken, barn doors when fully open have a larger opening.

Hound

Sheepdog
Thanks for the input, so far. The collective wisdom found on this forum has yet to let me down. The van in question is already 4x4 and I had not considered the interference of larger tires with the slider. Is there a magic number in terms of tire size with regards to this issue? I'd like to go bigger than stock, but doubt I'll ever need to go larger than 35's. Quigley salesman seemed to think that 33" was the biggest I could go without rubbing/lift. Does that sound right? Thanks again to those of you who took time to share your impressions; really appreciate it.

dhally

Hammerhead
We've had both and prefer the barn doors.

#1 My wife has trouble opening and closing the slider due to the weight. Game over.

- The slider makes more noise when you have to go out in the middle of the night in a campground.
- You can go in and out of one barn door and let less cold air inside.
- The slider does eventually need adjustment or get hard to close.

Hound

Sheepdog
These are all good points... When you say that sliders eventually require adjustment, is that a lubrication issue or do the sliders actually become misaligned over time?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
These are all good points... When you say that sliders eventually require adjustment, is that a lubrication issue or do the sliders actually become misaligned over time?

The act of realigning the door isn't that bad. I had to do it a few times dialing in my extending slider hinge. Keeping junk out of the tracks is a good idea and fortunately they are pretty accessible. Over time, the rollers wear and the hinge pin bushings wear. I don't consider that to be anything above and beyond any other door though.
Concerning the tire size question before... There are considerations to make when choosing a tire size (and wheel offset) but a van with a slider door can have 35's on it and still be made to work. My current tire/wheel combo measures 19.5" from the frame to the outer most point on the tire and my door just clears the sidewall (with my modified hinge). The tire/wheel combo I'm going to next will measure ~20.5" frame to outside edge...however since the van will be lifted a few inches, the door/tire interference won't be as bad because I'll be at a higher point on the tire.

ober27

Adventurer
Thanks for this thread and all the input. There's a lot of good info for someone like me who is considering a van for my next vehicle.

Hound

Sheepdog
Agreed. Thanks again to everybody who chimed in. I'll be sure to check back in when I make a decision.

witt

Adventurer
Hi -

We have an E350 4x4 with a slider, and have no problems with it. My wife can open and close it no problem. We have 285/75 R16 tires on it (larger than stock) and the slider touches the rear tire but it does open fully.

Hound

Sheepdog
Thanks for chiming in, Witt. 285/75 is equivalent to 33" if I'm not mistaken. Good to know a slider will clear 33s without modification. I think 33s would be good enough for my intended use. I appreciate the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998