Are there any other camper types similar to the Flip Pac??

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
So I've been doing alot of reading, and I absolutely love the idea of the Flip Pac however I have my concerns that everyone has seem to mention...

Is there anything else out there similar? Based on what I want to do, I don't think a pop up is what I want to do. I'm trying to keep it light... Ontop of light, using my 8ft truck bed, I can sleep 4 full sized people in the setup once it's all said and done. Actually I'm thinking there would be TONS of room in a full sized superduty with a flip pac.. To the best of my knowledge I don't think that would work with any of the popups, am I missing something here??

So what do you guys think? Maybe share some links for different campers I could look at?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
The only other option I know of is a Wilderness. It would be used.... I have a Flippac and had the same concerns and went ahead and bought a used one... the cost was similar to a brand new shell...

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
I really wish AT would revise the flip pac... A good tent material and maybe allowing the rods that come down to support some weight (as to not break the torsion rod?) would make the dang things a keeper! I'm attempting to follow other threads about the updated material because the flip pac what I want... I just want an over engineered version.

Clutch

<---Pass
I really wish AT would revise the flip pac... A good tent material and maybe allowing the rods that come down to support some weight (as to not break the torsion rod?) would make the dang things a keeper! I'm attempting to follow other threads about the updated material because the flip pac what I want... I just want an over engineered version.

could build one yourself to your liking.

what I plan on doing, using an existing SnugTop (or similar) mine will flip to the side like a wildernest, my girlfriend knows how to
make dress patterns, said a tent would be easy to sew up.

or a Carvan Camper

http://www.caravancamper.com/

have it hinged to flip to the side, front, or back.

gallery13.jpg

Last edited:

Jr_Explorer

Explorer

Don't hold your breath for a Flip Pac competitor. It takes a LOT of tooling to be able to accommodate as many truck types/sizes as they do. One correction... The Flip Pac DOES have rods that stabilize/support the lid. The torsion bar breaking is a pretty rare event from what I've seen. I did a lot of research over the past few years and bought my truck last August and just took delivery of my Flip Pac about a month ago. I LOVE it! All campers/RV's are a compromise of size, weight, mobility, height, etc. For us the Flip Pac is just right.

Clutch

<---Pass
Don't hold your breath for a Flip Pac competitor. It takes a LOT of tooling to be able to accommodate as many truck types/sizes as they do. .

I thought of doing what Wildernest did, retro fit the workings of the camper into an existing topper. Build to order type thing, but very clean & modernized.

Alas, I don't think there is any money in it. People are too cheap and the market is quite small.

Still plan on building a prototype this fall when the weather cools off here. Might be a one off for me, or who knows...

HunterMike

Observer
I would have kept my Flip Pac IF I would have bought it new, but the used one came with too many issues. Even after replacing the hinges, it was coming apart again almost immediately. Plus new parts are hard to get, customer service is...lacking? I think that is a polite way to say it.

I went with a FWC Hawk, but now also have to find a shell of some sort for waterfowl season to haul the dogs and decoys. At -12 F, it is much too cold to run down the highway with dogs in bed without some sort of shell. I know guys who do it, but I won't.

That is what sold me on the flip pac, it did both at the same time. Engineering convinced me to sell. But again, maybe if I would have bought new and properly cared for it... several out there with satisfied owners.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
My truck is a crew cab... Right now being me and the wife, plus 2 dogs I was gong to pull the back seats for transporting the pups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan