Are those little throw-away propane bottles readily available in Mexico, CA & SA?

magentawave

Adventurer
Are those little 1 pound throw-away propane bottles readily available in Mexico, Central America and South America? I know they aren't environmentally cool which is why I rarely use them in the states but I'd probably only need about 3 per year while I'm on the road. Anyone know?

magentawave

Adventurer
Have you personally seen the little throw-away tanks available in Mexico, central America and south America?

Do you know if propane vendors will fill my little tanks with my own adapter?

cyclist

Observer
I have purchased them in south america. They are available in big-box stores (lider, carrefore etc) in Chile and Argentina. I am not sure about other countries.

doug720

Expedition Leader
I saw some last June in Baja, specifically, Valle de Trinidad at market. Beyond that...?

You could carry one of the small standard tanks that hold at least 5+ disposables and don't take much room, then you have no issues.

magentawave

Adventurer
I was going to carry a 5 gallon propane tank but I've read that they are difficult to get filled in Central and South America because just about every country uses a different connection. When you say "small standard tank" are you referring to a regular 20 pound/5 gallon propane tank that most everyone uses?

RangeBrover

Explorer
I've got a 10 gallon tank that easily lasts me a few weeks if I'm just using my stove to cook with. I used to run the small tanks but it's just easier and cheaper to run the larger tank. It's a tall cylinder shaped one so it's not shaped awkwardly like some of the other thanks.

magentawave

Adventurer
But do you use that big tank while traveling through Central and South America? Just asking because I've read that its a hassle down there finding a place that can fill it cuz every country uses different fittings.

I've got a 10 gallon tank that easily lasts me a few weeks if I'm just using my stove to cook with. I used to run the small tanks but it's just easier and cheaper to run the larger tank. It's a tall cylinder shaped one so it's not shaped awkwardly like some of the other thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior