are two 5 lb propane tanks enough? do you ever run out?

cparkerc

Observer
I bought a couple 11 lbs tanks, but they look pretty big on my trailer and will be a tight fit mounted on the side. I am wondering if it is overkill anyway. I will be running a grill and 2 burner stove top off one and probably a propane fire pit off the other one. Most trips will be weekend only and I have the option to bring a 20 lb tank in the back of the trailer. What has worked for you?

Thanks

Septu

Explorer
Seems like a lot to me - but then a 3 pack of those little ones still lasts me a weekend running the stove and lantern.

dstock

Explorer
The propane fire pit is the one that will eat propane tanks. We managed to burn through a 20 lb one over the course of a 3 day weekend when temps dropped into the 40's at night and in the am. Fire was on about 1/2 to 3/4 output , 7 hours the first night, probably 5 hours the second and an hour or 2 for 2 mornings.

Just depends on how many people you are keeping warm and happy!

1Louder

Explorer
The propane fire pit is the one that will eat propane tanks. We managed to burn through a 20 lb one over the course of a 3 day weekend when temps dropped into the 40's at night and in the am. Fire was on about 1/2 to 3/4 output , 7 hours the first night, probably 5 hours the second and an hour or 2 for 2 mornings.

Just depends on how many people you are keeping warm and happy!

Times two. Too many factors to consider. I have 2 11lb tanks. While I will never kill the 1st one with my hot water heater and stove I can easily kill the one for my Camp Fire in a Can and Mr Heater. So it really depends on the a number of things. Being cold sucks so I like to have the extra propane!

Septu

Explorer
You guys don't have normal camp fires? :Wow1: I mean a propane one is better then none... but that just sounds so foreign to me.

cparkerc

Observer
You guys don't have normal camp fires? :Wow1: I mean a propane one is better then none... but that just sounds so foreign to me.

We mainly do wood fires, but a lot of time there are fire restrictions. Plus you are not tied to the fire if you want to go explore...just turn it off and go!

Thanks for the opinions!

dstock

Explorer
We mainly do wood fires, but a lot of time there are fire restrictions. Plus you are not tied to the fire if you want to go explore...just turn it off and go!

Thanks for the opinions!

What he said!

Fire Restrictions are the norm here with the ongoing drought, which simply means if you aren't in a campground, you aren't lighting a traditional campfilre anywhere.

Robert Bills

Explorer
I bought a couple 11 lbs tanks, but they look pretty big on my trailer and will be a tight fit mounted on the side. I am wondering if it is overkill anyway. I will be running a grill and 2 burner stove top off one and probably a propane fire pit off the other one. Most trips will be weekend only and I have the option to bring a 20 lb tank in the back of the trailer. What has worked for you?

Are you asking whether we think you should exchange the 11-lb. cylinders for 5-lb. cylinders?

I just purchased a Worthington 11-lb. cylinder, which is 9.1" in diameter x 16.8" tall. The Worthington 5-lb. cylinder has the same 9.1" diameter but is 11.9" tall.

Since floor space in the back of my rig and in my Bantam trailer is at more of a premium than vertical space I saw little point is purchasing the 5-pounder, particularly because the price was almost the same. However, I did note that the 5-pounder has a flat bottom vs. the steel ring on the 11- and 20-pounders. I am told that some people pick the 5-lb. cylinder because of the flat bottom - no tipping on any surface.

As far as propane capacity for weekend trips, I have used an 11-lb. Manchester horizontal tank on my Bantam trailer for many years. I have never come close to running out of propane for cooking and lighting even on week-long trips. I keep 2 disposable 1-lb. canisters in the trailer with an adapter "just in case," but have never had to use them. [Caveat: the 2-burner stove and propane lanterns in my '46 Bantam trailer are vintage low-pressure appliances, not high pressure units like Partner Steel stoves and the current offerings by Coleman, etc. Thus, even though BTUs are BTUs no matter the pressure, real world fuel consumption may be different.]

I have since added a Quikfire propane campfire to my inventory. I purchased the 11-lb. cylinder primarily for that because propane campfires tend to be gas hogs. Also, I wanted a conventional vertical propane cylinder for use when I don't take the trailer.

Since you intend to fuel a stove, grill and propane campfire, I think two 11-pounders are appropriate. You should have enough propane, and you will be able to keep your essential cooking fuel separate from your non-essential campfire fuel in case you use more than anticipated. I doubt that you can get enough hours for an average weekend's propane campfire's use from a 5-lb. cylinder unless you keep the flame very low and restrict the number of hours that you use it.

You could go with 2 5-pounders plus a few 1 lb. disposable canisters "just in case," but why? You already have the 11-lb. cylinders.

Worthington 5-lb. DOT propane cylinder [9.1" x 11.9"], reg. $59.99 at CampingWorld.com:
41Ye1zcjPuL._SX425_.jpg

Worthington 11-lb. DOT propane cylinder [9.1" x 16.8"], $56.97 at HomeDepot.com:
fe55f4ba-f286-4fb9-9427-00e6e6df5b53_400.jpg

Manchester 11-lb. ASME horizontal propane cylinder mounted on '46 Bantam T3-C trailer:
HPIM0134.JPG

cparkerc

Observer
Are you asking whether we think you should exchange the 11-lb. cylinders for 5-lb. cylinders?

I just purchased a Worthington 11-lb. cylinder, which is 9.1" in diameter x 16.8" tall. The Worthington 5-lb. cylinder has the same 9.1" diameter but is 11.9" tall.

Since floor space in the back of my rig and in my Bantam trailer is at more of a premium than vertical space I saw little point is purchasing the 5-pounder, particularly because the price was almost the same. However, I did note that the 5-pounder has a flat bottom vs. the steel ring on the 11- and 20-pounders. I am told that some people pick the 5-lb. cylinder because of the flat bottom - no tipping on any surface.

As far as propane capacity for weekend trips, I have used an 11-lb. Manchester horizontal tank on my Bantam trailer for many years. I have never come close to running out of propane for cooking and lighting even on week-long trips. I keep 2 disposable 1-lb. canisters in the trailer with an adapter "just in case," but have never had to use them. [Caveat: the 2-burner stove and propane lanterns in my '46 Bantam trailer are vintage low-pressure appliances, not high pressure units like Partner Steel stoves and the current offerings by Coleman, etc. Thus, even though BTUs are BTUs no matter the pressure, real world fuel consumption may be different.]

I have since added a Quikfire propane campfire to my inventory. I purchased the 11-lb. cylinder primarily for that because propane campfires tend to be gas hogs. Also, I wanted a conventional vertical propane cylinder for use when I don't take the trailer.

Since you intend to fuel a stove, grill and propane campfire, I think two 11-pounders are appropriate. You should have enough propane, and you will be able to keep your essential cooking fuel separate from your non-essential campfire fuel in case you use more than anticipated. I doubt that you can get enough hours for an average weekend's propane campfire's use from a 5-lb. cylinder unless you keep the flame very low and restrict the number of hours that you use it.

You could go with 2 5-pounders plus a few 1 lb. disposable canisters "just in case," but why? You already have the 11-lb. cylinders.

Worthington 5-lb. DOT propane cylinder [9.1" x 11.9"], reg. $59.99 at CampingWorld.com:
41Ye1zcjPuL._SX425_.jpg

Worthington 11-lb. DOT propane cylinder [9.1" x 16.8"], $56.97 at HomeDepot.com:
fe55f4ba-f286-4fb9-9427-00e6e6df5b53_400.jpg

Manchester 11-lb. ASME horizontal propane cylinder mounted on '46 Bantam T3-C trailer:
HPIM0134.JPG

Thanks Robert for taking the time to post a well thought out response, I appreciate it! I will stick with the 2 11lber tanks and call it good.
Thanks for your help!

btate

I am about to select a tank, I have several of the 20lb tanks and although they seem large and heavy; the thought of being able to exchange it at any gas station or grocery store is appealing; just thinking if I were camping in the mountains it might not be easy to find a place to refill it vs a simple exchange.....

Robert Bills

Explorer
I am about to select a tank, I have several of the 20lb tanks and although they seem large and heavy; the thought of being able to exchange it at any gas station or grocery store is appealing; just thinking if I were camping in the mountains it might not be easy to find a place to refill it vs a simple exchange.....

Many residents of mountain and rural communities use propane for heat. You may not find as many exchange kiosks as you might in the city, but there will certainly be a propane supplier where your tank can be refilled.

Chris Boyd

Explorer

I thought this too, having gone with the 5-lb tanks that don't get swapped. Turns out lots of places refill propane, when you look around. In fact, tank exchange is a pretty new thing, and there are lots of RVs that don't have exchangeable tanks.

Think UHaul, CampingWorld, independent RV shops, and even a KOA or two!

Reading about folks traveling in South America, there is no tank exchange, but yet they find propane fairly easily.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just a note about tank exchange. It was a business model a friend studied in Business school. The tanks are never more than 3/4 full typically less. Due to transport reasons. But once they found people didnt notice this they dont try very hard to fill the tanks to the max allowed. As a result your paying top price for half full tanks. I just read that costco has started filling tanks for nearly half the price I can get from our local gas station.

My advice never exchange tanks, fill them, and shop around. $10 vs $21 for a 5lb refill is a big deal. The exchange locally is about $25 and you get less than a half tank.

Ghostyman

Observer
About the propane exchange... you're generally getting 15 pounds in a 20 pound tank like calicamper said. The time when tank exchanges are great is when your tank is expired. They will take an expired tank and give you a good one (albeit, one with only 15 pounds of propane in it).

I didn't realize tanks expired until I went to a gas station who refused to fill mine. There is a month and year stamped on the collar and it expires after 12 years. They can be re-certified but nobody wants to go through that hassle (and I think the re-cert is only good for 5 years).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior