Are you bored? Help me design the floor plan for my bus, I mean expedition vehicle.

MicroBird

Adventurer
You looked. You must be bored. Haha. My problem is, actually I have many but that's for another day, I need help designing my floor plan for my bus. She is a sexy, beautiful bus. That kind that only a mother could love but guess what, I'm the mama. I've never owned a RV or any type of camper to draw experience from. I've looked at thousands of pictures and dozens of websites only to get more confused. I'm a member on skoolie.net and there are many very cool conversions on there. Some of them are a little too hillbilly for me. No offense to hillbillies.

What am I looking for? I want clean, simple, functional, utilitarian and reasonably priced. Ha you say? Some of the rigs here are way cool but are over the top for me. Especially price wise. I can't post pictures from my iPad but will soon. The specs of the bus are 30 feet long with about 24 feet of useable space inside. The width inside is about 7'6".

More to follow soon.

LEFT SIDE.JPG

1.JPG

1A.JPG

1H.JPG

photo(4).JPG

dt2.jpG

Last edited:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Do your walls curve in at the top corners, or straight up? That will be a big deal IMHO.

I think if you try to keep open space and open concept in mind you will be able to come up with a nice set up. Depending on the number of people that will sleep/ride in the buss, I would consider a rear convertible dinette and a convertible couch. With the rear dinette you can lift it rather high up allowing for a tremendous amount of storage underneath.

Get Google Sketch-up, it is great to play with and try several different concepts in the space you have available.

Regards,
Brian

MicroBird

Adventurer
FP, I've tried to work with google sketch before. I guess I'm too stupid to figure it out. I have beams coming through the roof and other crazy stuff like that. My walls are straight but curve onto the roof. I'm hoping to keep as much of the living area towards the front and keep the back as flex space to use as garage or anything else I might come up with. I also have a wheelchair lift in the back that I want to keep to load motorcycle, etc.

Kermit, very cool setup.

Clutch

<---Pass
I would comb craigslist, flea markets, etc for normal house hold furniture or apartment sized appliances (think stove/oven) and just bolt everything it to the floor.

Regular cabinets can be used, just need a latch or magnets to keep the doors closed while the vehicle is moving.

Good ol' graph paper and a pencil will help determine how to arrange things.

enchanted-gypsy-bus.jpg

nosnerd

wanna be tourist
block off last 6ft rear....then :)queen bed matress in back above a "basement" for storage...his and her closets curb and drivers side..then cassette toilet and shower across..counter on curb side ..long sofa across....

easy ;)

yes i was bored.....lol

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I like the idea of storage to the very rear. I would then have a bedroom forward from there and closet, then a shower on one side and toilet closet across the hall. Then a galley on one side and on the other the fridge and a washer/dryer (stacked and bolted or one unit that does both). Then forward the salon seating with a dinete to one side, taking the seating up to the front and have a passenger seat up front facing forward.

You might take a look a yachts for sale on various sites and see how they are laid out to balance the load. What you put on one side in weight should be countered with about the same weight and don't forget tankage under the floor that will have weight offset. Fresh water tank I'd think should go back as far as you can get it near the rear axel, with the above, you black water tank would be just forward of the rear axel. Gray can go on the other side.

I'd also suggest you not use RV fixtures and appliances, use a home hotwater heater, vented furnance, use a home A/C window unit and build a drain pan and hose to get water and condensation out, don't hang it out a window.
A small pressure tank will keepwater pressure up to home grade faucets at sinks and shower. You'll want a good generator in your garage area, vented and makes sure that rear bedroom wall is tight and sealed if you run that inside, box it in back there with a vented exterior access.

Can't wait to see the rack you build on top with a ladder near the side door and an awning off the door side. You'll have a great platform up there for a clean patio area and lawn chairs to watch the fireworks or the stars.

If I were taking by bike, I wouldn't use 8' in the back, but I'd have a shorter garage/storage area, I'd have a bike rack on the back that raised up and secured to the back door level, a lift can do that and would make it easy to load and unload.

I've always wanted to get a Blue Bird bus and do this, but gotta be honest, I don't want one that looks like a school bus conversion because so many are so poorly done that there is some shunning going on at campgrounds and private property. I'd consider an exterior skin and changing the windows to get that motorhome look, that would be first class. But, leave it and leave it yellow if ya like if you're going to boondock on your own anway...who cares!

I'd say don't use a 2x4 when a 2x2 or a 1x2 will do the same thing. Many build a house inside with 2x4s, it's just stealing weight capacity and running up the expense. For example to fur out the walls, use furring strips, 1x2s or 2x2s instead of 2x4s, all these do is keep the wall covering from falling off the side and you don't need 30" stud walls for that. The space for insulation is sufficient at 2" imo, look at the efficiency of the windows....why have 6" of wall insulation.

I'd use pex tubbing for all water lines, it is less likely to burst if frozen and pvc drains. Hot water lines short and insulated off the exterior wall. Electrical to code on 120v, you may only use a clothes washer/dryer with shore power, but I'd sure have it if I had all that space. If you lay it out right, you could have a small fireplace!

Not only do you need to look at a floor plan, but think virtically as well, maybe a access door in the storage area but your inverter may be under the bed or boxed off on the floor of the closet with a shoe rack above it. Take advanatage of under seat storage. Make sure electrical gizzmos have ventilation with cirulating air. As mentioned, magnetic catches on cabinets may work, but if you're going to twist that frame much getting to the river, check out marine latches or lock'em down. I would not use base cabinets in a bus, they are too deep unless you cut them down in the back. Use smaller upper cabinets IMO.

Look again at boat building sites, wooden boat, many of the attachment techniques used in boats are best for RVs too, glue and screw, go light!

I was really bored, thanks!

Last edited:

MicroBird

Adventurer
Thanks for the input. I've been hitting up Craigslist. I've scored some good stuff. Bucket seats, kitchen counter with cab, solid oak table, etc. There's a ton of stuff on the CL free section in my area. It's what I used to get the basics done to get my out of state bus registered as a motorhome. I have my plates now and it's all coming out to deal with the floor. Once the rust is gone and the metal treated, the build will start. I will try to use square tubing for the structure of the interior. I'm hesitant to use 2x4 or 2x2 because I afraid of getting squeaks. Squeaks drive me crazy.

I really like the way space is utilized very efficiently in some of the vehicles on this site. I am hoping to use that same efficiency for my living space towards the front of the bus and leave the back open. This will be my quest. This is where I'm looking for help. Sometimes I have a hard time visualizing the finished product. There are some that have gotten their bus home and had the interior ripped out in a day and are already framing and building out the interior. Wow. It must be nice to know what you want like that.:bowdown: Soooo... For those of you that have suggestion, please share.

bansil

Adventurer
Microbird,I too looked
My build isn't very Hillbilly (I don't think) but since I'm hillbilly it might be:sombrero:
It is very simple and so far very cost effective,I don't have all the bells and whistles because we don't need or want them(yet)

Once we decide what works we will add the bathroom area(right now it's a porta potty and shower tent with solar bags still)

Do you have pics on Skoolie?

We are building ours for exploring with out haveing to setup camp and we will still be able to tow...rather slowly tho...to the trail head

Joanne

Adventurer
A few years back I built my own little camping trailer and documented the build on my website. (link in my signature). I have a couple of thoughts.

- Plan everything as far in advance as you possibly can. Trying to retrofit things afterwards is always challenging.
- Someone mentioned "systems". Definitely design your electrical, fresh water, and waste water systems before building walls.
- Keep it light weight!! It adds up quickly. Even with a heavy chassis like yours, you can overload it.
- Use CAD (cardboard aided design) Use cardboard and tape to mock up walls and cabinets before building with wood.
- Keep it as simple as possible.

Joanne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior