Are You Kidding Me? Would Anyone In Their Right Mind Seriously Consider Buying This Godzilla of a Truck and Converting It to An Overlander?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler

Oh, the Horror! (Of the gas mileage you’re going to get here...and also the cost of tires!) but, then again, think of all of the Instagram possibilities!

Off road RV conversion - E-one Firetruck - $45000 (encinitas)

BF3520C7-F291-448D-81FA-604076D0E596.jpeg

from the seller (not me)

“This is the Coolest truck you will ever drive!
It would make the perfect Overland RV or Monster truck or ?
4x4 with Front and Rear Lockers! 540 HP ! Less than 16,000 miles !

I purchased this truck with the intention of converting it into an off-road RV monster that will go anywhere. I wanted the Titan because they are designed to specifications for airport use, which means they have a lot more power than a normal fore truck. Even with the big tires and all the equipment I can reach 60mph in 17 seconds (I can send you the video) I can cruise at 60 to 70 mph with RPM at 2000 to 2400. Fuel mileage is comparable to my Monaco Motorhome.
It is still a complete fire truck and could be purchased by a fire department and put to use as it is. I have never filled the water tank or tried to shoot water from it, but everything else on the truck works as it should and it has less than 16,000 miles on the truck.

Here are some specs I found:
General Specs

1993 E-One ARFF Crash Truck Titan E-One Chassis Custom Length: 29" 5 Truck Height: 11" 6 Seating for 4; 2 SCBA seats Detroit 8V92TA 540 HP Diesel Engine Pump - Tank
1500 Gallon Polypropylene Tank 225 Gallon Foam Cell 500 lbs Dry Chemical”

So, here’s a picture to help you understand how huge this behemoth is:
BA5C5D53-5A6A-4F39-AC8A-8F88DC2F9F1B.jpeg

Last edited:

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
"I purchased this truck with the intention of converting it into an off-road RV monster that will go anywhere."
Common misconception. There are many places that this size (and much smaller) simply will not go (in Oz at least).
And many that try have huge tyre staking problems. The Landcruser sized vehicles pick all the tyre stakes and keep the tracks clear. Anything with wider track that comes along picks up a whole pile of new ones.
The Germans love these big rigs.
Of course, WHEN (not if) they get bogged, getting them out can be a serious task.
P1000694cE.jpg
P1000698ceE.jpg
P1060805cE.jpg
P1040852E.jpg

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

nathane

I have never filled the water tank or tried to shoot water from it, but everything else on the truck works as it should and it has less than 16,000 miles on the truck.

View attachment 556435

I'm calling this as a fake advert. Surely the first thing you do when you buy something like this is fill it up and have the mother of all water fights ?

billiebob

Oh, the Horror! (Of the gas mileage you’re going to get here...and also the cost of tires!) but, then again, think of all of the Instagram possibilities!

Off road RV conversion - E-one Firetruck - $45000 (encinitas)

View attachment 556434

from the seller (not me)

“This is the Coolest truck you will ever drive!
It would make the perfect Overland RV or Monster truck or ?
4x4 with Front and Rear Lockers! 540 HP ! Less than 16,000 miles !

I purchased this truck with the intention of converting it into an off-road RV monster that will go anywhere. I wanted the Titan because they are designed to specifications for airport use, which means they have a lot more power than a normal fore truck. Even with the big tires and all the equipment I can reach 60mph in 17 seconds (I can send you the video) I can cruise at 60 to 70 mph with RPM at 2000 to 2400. Fuel mileage is comparable to my Monaco Motorhome.
It is still a complete fire truck and could be purchased by a fire department and put to use as it is. I have never filled the water tank or tried to shoot water from it, but everything else on the truck works as it should and it has less than 16,000 miles on the truck.

Here are some specs I found:
General Specs

1993 E-One ARFF Crash Truck Titan E-One Chassis Custom Length: 29" 5 Truck Height: 11" 6 Seating for 4; 2 SCBA seats Detroit 8V92TA 540 HP Diesel Engine Pump - Tank
1500 Gallon Polypropylene Tank 225 Gallon Foam Cell 500 lbs Dry Chemical”

So, here’s a picture to help you understand how huge this behemoth is:
View attachment 556435
I'm betting it is not street legal anyway.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
For some reason I almost never see these monster rigs off pavement, except maybe the occasional well maintained dirt road, or grass camping area/field. Hmmm, I wonder why. The ~3mpg is also a bit of a problem for many uses.

The other issue, is that even a mild bogging incident in mud or sand may require hiring heavy equipment to extract...

nocoastxj

This summer a rich dude pulled up in a modified one to the local outdoor cafe at the bottom of Teton pass here in Jackson Hole with a couple nice mountain bikes attached to his. Super hot outdoorsy girl in tow, they should've bought everyone a round, it certainly got everyone's attention even with it parked half a block away. I wonder if they were shuttling mountain bike laps up the pass in it? Then they'd be looking at 1-2MPG. It was funny to see that thing with a little bike rack hanging off the back end. I'd have a built in garage with that much space. See if I can dig up a pic...

tex222

I got to drive one of these for a few minutes at the McMurdo station in Antarctica when I was on vacation from my job at the South Pole. Funny thing is that the clutch wasn't working correctly so had to do slip shifting. And we switched drivers while this behemoth was moving along the ice.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Wow flash back big time!! My Uncle was a base Fire Captain and had one of these in his runway fleet. Like 1980’s. I remember riding in it as a kid , 12 miles into town to do the 4th of July parade with it. We put one of the well known crew in a full high heat foil suit/helmet and made him walk infront of us and I got to blast him with the over cab water cannon every 200 ft or so down the parade route.

It was like riding on a pogo stick driving / riding in that thing on public roads. On the runway and taxi ways it was much smoother. You’d need new kidneys after taking it on a overland trip.

WOODY2

Adventurer
While it appears to be a yellow/green color I would suggest it's really a white elephant. That being said it belongs in the Unusual Vehicle thread?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears