Arizona Border Patrol Clean Up

SinCityFJC

Adventurer
Arizona Border Patrol Clean Up

Original thread - Please if you can help sign up @ ROF and post to this thread. http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=63090&p=691070#p691070

I've been thinking about this for a while after seeing pictures like this:

So today I stopped by the Regional Border Patrol office & spoke with an agent there and gave him my proposal. Basically I wanted to see if the off road community could help them out and clean up a bit of our precious desert and give the brave men & women of the Border Patrol some much needed help. Wheelers are great about doing clean ups for areas that we wheel in, so I figured this was right down our alley.

Here is where we stand so far.

1: I need to compile a list of people that are interested in helping out. I'm going to post this up not only here, but also on a few other Arizona boards (this isn't going to be vehicle make specific, just a bunch of wheelers of all kinds that are interested in keeping our desert clean) and get a rough head count.

2: I will forward that list & links to the clean up threads so the agent I spoke with can present it to his director.

3: If we get the green light to proceed, they will give us an location where our services are needed, (I asked for something somewhat remote so we can do a little bit of wheelin' & get the stuff that is harder to get to). Most likely it will be in the Casa Grande Area so it is easier for both Tucson & Phoenix wheelers to get to.

The date when the actual event will take place is pending response from the Border Patrol, but will most likely be within the next few months. I will try to coordinate a date that will allow the most wheelers to attend (most likely a weekend). I am also going to try to coordinate with local businesses to try to gain some support and help with supplies (rubber gloves, trash bags, etc. Maybe even some gas cards if I can). I am also going to contact the local media once we get closer to the event to help spotlight our cause & show the environmental impact that uncontrolled borders are having on our desert.

I think this is a great way to help show the rest of the world that the off road community isn't out tearing up the desert & that we actually care, plus we get to aide a great agency that is full of unsung heroes.

Let me know what you all think & if you would, please reply to this thread to let me know if you are interested.

Thanks,
Brian

Update from main thread on ROF.

I'm actually pretty amped about the great responses, so I went ahead & created a yahoo group for this. That way I can post up messages & receive emails all in one location. You don't have to join, but it will keep you updated via email as to what is going on. Feel free to post up the link & email address on your own boards.

Thanks!

AZBPCleanup@yahoogroups.com

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AZBPCleanup/

Last edited:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

This is a great idea!

Now, just how to haul all the junk out. I know dumpsters have been used before. But they sit in a central location.

So here is my Idea for even more impact!

What if you approach UHaul or some other trailer rental company and ask them to donate the use of X amount of open trailers. These trailers are to be pulled by volunteers. These volunteers now have a way to hual out way more junk (not everyone has a pick up) and can span out further. Before everyone heads to the dump at the end of the day. "After" pics are taken of ...what....20 to 50 Uhaul trailers full of desert trash all lined up on a very clean desert trail! Can you imagine the impact of pics of 50 trailers all lined up Full of Trash?!!!! ......I would Love to see a pic like this!

http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.aspx?equipment=opentrailer-6x12

The rental company will be told they will get free publicity in the local news, print and T.V., and you Must make sure this happens.

If this idea can't work this time, maybe another time somebody can use this idea.

.....just thinking out loud.:sombrero:

Last edited by a moderator:

KG6BWS

Explorer
i would be a possible. hard for me to tell with out a date. id try to go though. sounds like fun, and its a good cause.

as for hauling it out, trailers would be one idea, dump trucks would be another. someone like United Rentals would have small 2 axle dump trucks that are easy to drive and will hold quite a bit. theyre not exactly offroaders but would be able to get farther in than a dumpster for a more remote central location (i.e. - 10 miles to central location rather than 30).

Fulltimer

Observer
I think this is fantastic! It's a shame I live in Florida, I'm retired and could do it any time. If I ever get the camper I'm looking for I might have to make a road trip!

Do you have/want a contact for the L.O.S.T. group? Just in case you don't know: L.O.S.T. = Liberty Owners Special Team. The organization has over 6,000 members world wide. Members have to be approved before they can get on the forum. I'm a member and I know of at least one other member that is on here. Almost forgot. It is now open to all Jeeps.

Terry

SinCityFJC

Adventurer
I think this is fantastic! It's a shame I live in Florida, I'm retired and could do it any time. If I ever get the camper I'm looking for I might have to make a road trip!

Do you have/want a contact for the L.O.S.T. group? Just in case you don't know: L.O.S.T. = Liberty Owners Special Team. The organization has over 6,000 members world wide. Members have to be approved before they can get on the forum. I'm a member and I know of at least one other member that is on here. Almost forgot. It is now open to all Jeeps.

Terry

Hi Terry

I agree this is a great idea needed in the southern border states.

Please contact Brian aka Rub It On over on ROF via link in post #1

I have wheeled with the Lost KJs - a good & fun group.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I would be interested, depending on dates though. Where exactly is this going to happen?

SinCityFJC

Adventurer
Update from main thread on ROF.

I'm actually pretty amped about the great responses, so I went ahead & created a yahoo group for this. That way I can post up messages & receive emails all in one location. You don't have to join, but it will keep you updated via email as to what is going on. Feel free to post up the link & email address on your own boards.

Thanks!

AZBPCleanup@yahoogroups.com

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AZBPCleanup/

(I'll add this to post #2 also)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger