Arizona November 18-24, suggestions requested

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
crawler#976 said:
As i mentioned above, we don't have our T'day schedule worked out yet, so I can't commit to it 100%, but I'll say at this point it's a good possibility.
No problem, just let me know.

crawler#976 said:
If you'd like, I'll post it up in the trips section - I'm sure you will find some Expo folks who'll come along.
Sure, post it up once you get your plans finalized.

JohnnyS

Explorer
AZ Loop

MountainBiker,
-Camino trip which should be pretty smooth at that time
-From Why take SR86 to I-19 to Nogales
-FS road from SR 82 past Lochiel & over the Huachucas along border to Sierra Vista
-SR 80 to Douglas from Sierra Vista
-SR 191 from Douglas to (camp near Hannagan Meadow and look for wolves) Eager
-SR 260 from Eager to Sedona in time for BA
-Sedona to Jerome, & get on the dirt out of Jerome to Perkinsville rd.
-Perkinsville to Chino Valley
-Outer Loop from Chino to Williamson Valley rd.
-FS road to Bagdad via Camp Wood
-Bagdad to Alamo lake
-Alamo lake to Wenden to I-10 near Quartzsite

Obviously this is just a general outline but it would take you through all kinds of different country, with really impressive elevation changes.
You'd spend a lot of time on pavement but most of it would be pretty rural.
Take it easy,

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Thanks for some great ideas! I'll have to take a look at all that on my maps.

Does anyone have a source for better maps than the AAA Arizona State map? Of course I have the GPS, but paper maps are nice, and Topos are usually too small and too detailed for a trip of this magnitude. I'm hoping there is a larger state map with more detail, or sectional maps of Arizona.

JohnnyS

Explorer
I second that!
Between the Gazeteer and Forest Service maps you should be good to go.
Depending on what route you take you may want to order FS maps for several forests.
Take it easy,

Signcutter21

Adventurer
That's a great idea that Johny had. I was just going to take the S.V. to Lochiel to Nogales trip this week, but passed for a shorter trip near Nogales. I would love to make an expedition for the southeast corner to the southwest corner incompassing a bunch of those trails.

MB if you do this trip, look me up when you hit the S.V section, I'll show ya a couple ok trails that will travel right along the border in the Bisbee/ Douglas area. (actually having a LOST liberty based club run on Sat after thanksgiving if your interested) sounds like a fun trip.

mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior