Arizona to Oregon on trails

DeltaOneThree

Thank you for sharing this adventure of yours! It sounds like it's been the journey of a lifetime! Reading your tale has been the most motivating thing I've read this entire deployment! (US Navy - SouthPac) I'm excited to get home and start planning a trip of my own!

Congratulations on the little one! I've got two of my own, but have yet to take them on any long trips or trails. I reckon I'll have to wait a couple years for my younger one. Lol

I'll be following the rest of your journey!

DeltaOneThree

Hoo-yah!

Thank you for sharing this adventure of yours! It sounds like it's been the journey of a lifetime! Reading your tale has been the most motivating thing I've read this entire deployment! (US Navy - SouthPac) I'm excited to get home and start planning a trip of my own!

Congratulations on the little one! I've got two of my own, but have yet to take them on any long trips or trails. I reckon I'll have to wait a couple years for my younger one. Lol

I'll be following the rest of your journey!

59bisquik

Sounds like a great trip! I have always wanted to try a trip like this and I have alot of family in the Medford/Grants Pass Oregon area too. Keep everyone posted, this is great stuff! :sombrero: You wouldnt by chance be posting up the route for us copycats would you? Starting from Vegas would be perfect for us!

Last edited:

SChandler

Adventurer
I'll second the request for the route to be posted, if you don't mind. I'd love to incorporate some or all of this future trips to visit my wife's family in Oklahoma.

gt6star

Observer
Update

Thanks for reading up on our adventures! Nola and I love sharing our stories. We've actualy done a few of these epic trips, we did a 10 day trip to Silverton Colorado last year and another to Moab. This is the first one we've realy kept track of.

I totaly hear you on the deployment thing! My first exposure to overlanding was reading about the Turtle Expedition while I was stationed in Korea back in '98. Their account of crossing Russia overland sparked something inside me I have not been able to satisfy yet, and hopefully never will:smiley_drive: I intend to add more to this trip report soon, life has been busy the last few weeks. I also intend to post a trip route.

Incedentally we made a run out to Copper Creek this weekend to test out my friends new FJ Cruiser and the Jeeps new front axle. The story of why I need a new front axle is coming soon, thats a good one.......

gt6star

Observer
5 pounds of it lasted about 36 hours in our Coleman cooler. While in there we used it to freeze a pound of turkey we picked up at the grocery store. Next time we use dry ice we are going to get more of it and line the bottom of the cooler with it. Origionally we used 10 bottles of frozen water, that lasted for a week, and when it melted we had cold water to drink and no mess in the cooler:)

gt6star

Observer
Frozen bottles work great for up to a week or so, but eventually we'd love to upgrade to a fridge/freezer. Once I'm finished with the story part of this thread I'll do a good write up of things I wish we had with us along with things we took but never used, along with observations of the Jeep itself and all the gear we took with us. I'm a massive gear nerd so I have a dream sheet a mile long.

gt6star

Observer
The Trip Home May 27th

IMG_4422.JPGIMG_4411.JPGIMG_4404.jpgIMG_4415.JPGWe spent a few days with Nola's family. We explored Medford and the surrounding area. We went and watched her dads band play at one of the local Wineries and sampled some of Oregons finer beverages! As we pointed the nose of the Jeep south east-ish I can't help but think that this is the beggining of the end of our trip. But like all mountain climbers say, reaching the summit is optional coming back down is mandatory. That phrase will be tested in a day.....
We top off fuel, water a few snacks on our way out of town. We leave Oregon and enter Nevada by way of Coleman Canyon and head towards the Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge. We stop at a small cabin at the entrance to the refuge. The cabin was built in the 30's and from the looks of it will be standing in 200 years, to say this thing is solid would be an understatment. Inside it is stocked with all the items you would need to survive a few nights out there, food, water, cooking supplies and a bunk bed. After poking around for a bit we decided to head up to Bald Mountain, at the peak is a weather station with a small jar containing a notebook. We entered our names and where we were heading. Near the jar I found an old weathercock laying on the ground. This was my chance to take some hilarious pictures (my 6th grade sense of humor is well represented here) It was very windy and freezing so we didnt hang out long. There was a little snow on the ground and the trail was very muddy. We trundled on down a long dirt road managing to capture a few pictures of a baby pronghorn just learning run, we passed abandoned homesteads and stunning views going by Catnip Resevoir camp and pressing on to Horse canyon where we made camp at "Andy's Place" We set up our camp kitchen and had dinner. There were some clouds rolling in and the temps were dropping fast. Incedentally this is the first night on the trip we actually made a campfire. We inflated the mattress and went to bed. We slept like babies..........

gt6star

Observer
May 28th

snowbed.JPGhorses.JPGsnap.JPGweld.JPGjeep snow.jpgbreak.JPGsnowtrail.JPGMy eyes opened slowly at first. I was awakened by what I thought was the sound of gentle rain, oh boy another wet morning I thought to myself as I lifted my head to look out the window. To my suprise it was snowing....hard! There was already 6 inches on the ground and it was piling up fast. Luckily I head the forsight to cover our gear with a tarp before bed last night. We got ourselves up and dressed without ever opening the doors. It was cooooooold outside and we werent looking forward to packing up and driving out of here. As quickly as we could we gathered our stuff, brushed off as much snow as we could and tossed it in the back of the jeep. By the time we were done my hands were frozen and getting the heater going only made them hurt more. No big deal I'm a tough guy:coffee: We got ourselves situated in the cab and ready for a long drive through the snow. Before we started rolling I spotted 3 horses walking slowly through the snow, I took a picture of them, its a lonely place and to see horses so far out here was cool. We began driving down the trail towards Blackrock dry lake looking forward to a fun day of cruising the lakebed. It was just 80 miles away, we'd be there by lunch. The snow on the trail was deep but we had good traction and were making good time trudging along at about 30 miles an hour. Thats when it happened.......

I felt a small bump and the jeep went to the right while the steering wheel went to the left and got very wobbly, followed by a horrible grinding sound. We stopped and I got out to see what happened. I thought to myself, we just broke a tie rod end, no big deal, I'll have it replaced in a few minutes and we'll be on our way. I bent down under the front of the jeep to take a look at the damage, hmm no broken tie rods, no loose bolts, nothing hanging down.... thats when I saw it.

The axle housing had completely snapped just inside the right lower control arm, the only thing holding the right front wheel on were the shock and the axle shaft.:Wow1::Wow1: I stood up and looked at Nola sitting inside the jeep patiently waiting for the news. She saw the color run out of my face, she could see we were in big trouble. We were 60 miles from the nearest "town" and it was snowing heavilly. I took stock of what we had with us and tried to come up with a way we could limp along the road, it was going to be a long day. So much for playing on the Blackrock playa today. This must be what the crew of Apollo 13 must have fealt like when they realized they weren't landing on the moon and would be lucky to survive at all. After poking around in the back of the jeep I came up with a limp along solution, I took a ratchet strap and ran it between the 2 lower control arms and began pulling them together. I got the axle as tight as I could and tried driving on it, it was a little wobbly and making some noise but we were moving. At 1 mile an hour. We drove like that for 4 hours, stopping every few minutes to get out and tighten the strap, and check everything. We had 60 or so miles of this to go, the math didnt look good, would we have enough gas? probably not at this speed, enough time? nope, would the axle even hold up to 60 miles of essentialy being ground down on a Chrysler powered lathe? unlikely.

Luckily on the horizon we saw what looked like a ranch that wasnt on our map or GPS, as we got closer we could see people, cars, farm equipment! Farm equipment might mean a welder! We had hope now, we limped up the long drive to the ranch house in the worlds only independant front suspension Wrangler, where we were met by Roger. We asked if they might have a welder we could use, he answered simply "pull it in the barn" As I pulled into the barn the strap finaly gave and the wheel went out the side of the jeep. Luckily his "barn" was a well equipt auto repair/ machine shop. As I talked to Roger we discovered that he too was an aircraft mechanic and pilot, so naturaly we had something to talk about. We began to weld around the crack, we filled the broken tube with as much wire as we could and just for good measure welded a 5 inch peice of angle iron on the bottom of the axle tube. What we were left with was the ugliest weld ever, but it was also strong, "a big blob does the job" Roger said...Thanks Roger for the help:smiley_drive:

As it turned out the ranch we found was a resort for people camping up at the Blackrock. They had hot springs nearby....tempting... but we had to get moving, sadly towards pavement.

Our trip had turned into a nervous drive towards Las Vegas and on to Tucson, from here on our goal was to make it home without breaking. We passed the Blackrock Playa, I stole a few longing glances, We'll be back here for sure " I said to myself as we drove by. After a few more hours we hit pavement. We followed 95 south toward Las Vegas for the rest of the day untill we hit Mt Charleston at around 8:30 at night, I was struggling to stay awake, it was time to find a place to camp. We went up Mt Charleston road and pulled off into the first desert trail we saw, set up the air matress and hit the sack....oh, and we slept like babies..........

james727

You guys slept like babies alot, didn't you?:D The Lord puts the right people in our paths when we least expect them. Great trip, thanks for sharing, and congrats on the stowaway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78