Arizona Traverse - Solo on a dual sport

mkitchen

Explorer
Help? Sure. We need to finish the GWT and get it designated.

In terms of the AZ Traverse, there's working the connection between Williams and Havasupai Point...some land ownership/route issues there. I kind of like the route from Williams to Moqui Station and along the Coconino Rim Rd and then west to Havasupai better than tracks I laid south on my traverse. My preferred moto route from Jerome to GC is via Casner and then to Moqui I think, though I haven't done that in a single trip, just the pieces. Note I said moto...the permit requirement for Casner while driving a 4x4 makes it difficult to time it right on a total traverse. Motivation to get out again!

Count me in on working out a route and getting the GWT closer to completion. What do you think of using the old stage route from Flag to the GC? From there I think we are stuck due to the reservation, till we get back past Lee's Ferry. I too, love Casner (I was with you on last year's trip) but agree that the permit is an issue. How would a meetup, possibly in fall or winter, work out where we could all get together and review possible routes and then assign parts to those interested.
Mikey

A

agavelvr

Count me in on working out a route and getting the GWT closer to completion. What do you think of using the old stage route from Flag to the GC? From there I think we are stuck due to the reservation, till we get back past Lee's Ferry. I too, love Casner (I was with you on last year's trip) but agree that the permit is an issue. How would a meetup, possibly in fall or winter, work out where we could all get together and review possible routes and then assign parts to those interested.
Mikey

Meetup = good, I wish I would have seen your reply a few weeks ago...I was just in Kingman.
Part of my job involves working with Tribes here in AZ to develop motorized recreation opportunities. I'll be working with the Navajo to see if we can work something out in terms of official dirt route designation.

Tbird

Observer
Wow, it's been a while since I wrote/read this thing.
I was chatting with the guy who bought my truck today and told him the story.
Thought I would bump it and see if anyone wants to join a future trip in October 2013.
I plan on taking my Tacoma and wife so I can finally show her what I saw on this epic ride.

Hey Jeff,

Myself (Tom-Santa Teresa, NM) and Rockdawg350 (Max-El Paso, TX) are looking to do something very much like your route. Mikey turned me onto your trip account here on EXPO and I just got very excited
seeing this post of yours. Max and I have Honda XR650Ls. We were wanting to do as much of a Trans-AZ ride as we can. We are planning for Oct 26 through Nov 3. Are you still going to Tacoma the route during this window? We also both have Tacomas also...with Flippacs. Our original idea was to ride the route. Maybe we should talk about maybe doing this thing together...if not all then some.

Tom

mkitchen

Explorer
Sounds interesting

An west to east crossing of the Navajo res would a neat run. I am still interested in tying in the different trails to connect an north/south trail for 4X4s.
Jeff next time you are in the Kingman area, get in touch with me, It would be nice to share some stories and review runs.
Mikey

A

agavelvr

Do it on the bikes if you can! Your window is the perfect time to enjoy az biking weather. Not too hot down south, not too cold up north. Unfortunately, I'm tied up during your window, otherwise I would run a section with you guys. If you are in the Jerome area on Nov 2, you can be my guests at our volunteer bbq in the verde valley.
Hey Jeff,

Myself (Tom-Santa Teresa, NM) and Rockdawg350 (Max-El Paso, TX) are looking to do something very much like your route. Mikey turned me onto your trip account here on EXPO and I just got very excited
seeing this post of yours. Max and I have Honda XR650Ls. We were wanting to do as much of a Trans-AZ ride as we can. We are planning for Oct 26 through Nov 3. Are you still going to Tacoma the route during this window? We also both have Tacomas also...with Flippacs. Our original idea was to ride the route. Maybe we should talk about maybe doing this thing together...if not all then some.

Tom

Tbird

Observer
Certainly ON BIKES! We made the commitment last night that our trip will be on our XR650Ls. Bikes are nearly ready for the trip...just a few tweaks needed. Now to do a LOT of route research. I'd think the routing would be easier to find beta on...but so far just a lot of bits and pieces of info that don't necessarily stitch everything together. Can't wait to visit with you Jeff on your experience. Thanks for offering up some information.

I was born in Tucson...but haven't lived in the state since I was 2 yrs old. I'm not real familiar with the W and SW parts of the state...so I got a lot of getting acquainted to do before the trip.

Countdown

Help? Sure. We need to finish the GWT and get it designated.

I have ridden the GWT from Nogales to West Yellowstone and recorded GPS Tracks for Dual Sport route and Adv Bike options. They are posted on GPSXchange.com along with the CDR and the Pacific Crest Quest.

fanatic291

Desert Tortoise
What an amazing ride report. I think I might try this trip on my DR650 in the fall. Would your family let you skip another Turkey Day?

A

agavelvr

What an amazing ride report. I think I might try this trip on my DR650 in the fall. Would your family let you skip another Turkey Day?
Thanks man. If planned in advance, I could probably do Turkey Day... I'll have to put in for vacation if you are serious. Would be a great excuse to take my 690 out for a long trip :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle