Around the World with Toyota HZJ 78

ngrinch

insurance

Hello!
I am planning a trip from Canada to Tierra Del Fuego, and yes it will be in a 70 Series Troopie. I am no idea where i can get auto insurance for such a trip; could you please let me know what you did, and where to look?
I'd very much appreciate any information. Thank you!

Cheers, ngrinch

miki

Observer
insurance

Hey with that insurance will not help you. I'm from Europe (Czech Republic) I'm sorry

miki

Observer
From Kinshasa to Lubumbashi , 2010

Hello. I had to drive from Kinshasa to Lubumbashi because I did not get visa to Angola. This is the only way further south to Zambia. It was hell. I read travelers' stories of 2008. They wrong turn in Kananga. They had to go toward Tshikapa. I hurried because my visa expired in the Congo. We did it in 7 days but I drove 19 hours a day. 5.00 in the morning start and end 12:00 pm. At least I drove about 200 km in 19 hours. Car stayed without problems but I had to change diesel filter. Diesel is very bad there. Several times I nearly overturned, and many a car pulling winch. Without the winch I drove it much longer .... the journey is long 2500 km of which only about 450 km asphalt and the rest of only sand, mud, water and bad bridges. I have never seen anything so demanding on the psyche. In 2008 I toured Pakistan but it was far worse. If someone wanted to go that road I can provide accurate and correct itinerary. I recommend a good car, high and narrow tires, winch, plenty of food and drink, a large tank of diesel. And nerves of steel. :)

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Hello. I had to drive from Kinshasa to Lubumbashi because I did not get visa to Angola. This is the only way further south to Zambia. It was hell. I read travelers' stories of 2008. They wrong turn in Kananga. They had to go toward Tshikapa. I hurried because my visa expired in the Congo. We did it in 7 days but I drove 19 hours a day. 5.00 in the morning start and end 12:00 pm. At least I drove about 200 km in 19 hours. Car stayed without problems but I had to change diesel filter. Diesel is very bad there. Several times I nearly overturned, and many a car pulling winch. Without the winch I drove it much longer .... the journey is long 2500 km of which only about 450 km asphalt and the rest of only sand, mud, water and bad bridges. I have never seen anything so demanding on the psyche. In 2008 I toured Pakistan but it was far worse. If someone wanted to go that road I can provide accurate and correct itinerary. I recommend a good car, high and narrow tires, winch, plenty of food and drink, a large tank of diesel. And nerves of steel. :)
Imagine that? How were your dealings w/ the locals?

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I know it may sound pretty strange, but all of this talk about Congo makes me want to go there myself. :Wow1: Time to get the old Land Rover ready. :ylsmoke:

David

miki

Observer
Kinshasa to Lubumbashi

The locals are fine, just a night to hide. They are afraid. Journey through the Congo recommend, but do you more time. :) I read the pages as travelers went this route in 2008. In Congo pored need to ask the way it should be ten times. They once one wrong turn and went through worse. Kamina is turning to 30 km per Kolvezi. Deliberations is the need to ask the driver camion.

suntinez

Explorer
I am in awe of your beautiful photos, thank you for sharing them here. And for providing an English version of your site.

Mekong, amazing. All of it, amazing.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I am in awe of your beautiful photos, thank you for sharing them here. And for providing an English version of your site.

Mekong, amazing. All of it, amazing.
I keep going back to see these wonderful pics.....but i'm missing them....where are they?

GlobalMonkey

Adventurer
Zdravim

Ahoj Sarko a Milane,
mate nadherne fotky a urcite uzasne zazitky. Sledujeme Vasi cestu s nadsenim. Moc Vas z Colorada zdravime a doufame ze se tu pristi rok zastavite,
Stastnou cestu Vam preji Marianne a Tomas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78