Arrrgh!!!

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Hey Alaska Mike, you couldn't, say, combine the 2!!!!!!!

If I hadn't just rebuilt/adapted an engine, transmission, and transfercase, and bought a galvy frame (plus a whole lot of bits and pieces), I might have had the free cash to dump into a new project.

Oh well...

engineer

Adventurer
As we say in the tropics here..... "The system wasn't designed to win!!!!!"
Have you got any pics of progress on the one you've got? I've been lovin' watching her improvements.....

michaelgroves

Explorer
Silly me. It's probaby just the centre panel where the grille fits that has been changed for a SII panel and grille.

I see the dashboard is a SIII, and it has a Salisbury rear diff, and a V registration (which was issued to UK cars first registered from Aug 1979 to Aug 1980).

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Silly me. It's probaby just the centre panel where the grille fits that has been changed for a SII panel and grille.

I see the dashboard is a SIII, and it has a Salisbury rear diff, and a V registration (which was issued to UK cars first registered from Aug 1979 to Aug 1980).

I actually like the Series II grill. I'm not completely crazy about RHD in a North American vehicle, but I could certainly try to get used to it.

Oh well...

michaelgroves

Explorer
I actually like the Series II grill. I'm not completely crazy about RHD in a North American vehicle, but I could certainly try to get used to it.

Oh well...
Yes, I prefer the look of the metal one too! And the lights inside the front fenders had character too.

I drive a LHD 130 Defender here in the UK. It's no problem except when entering roundabouts (traffic circles), because you're looking back obliquely through the truck to see the oncoming traffic. And of course overtaking - but that'd be a rare event with a Series III diesel Land Rover!

Last edited:

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
As we say in the tropics here..... "The system wasn't designed to win!!!!!"
Have you got any pics of progress on the one you've got? I've been lovin' watching her improvements.....

The wife gave me a choice: skiing or the Rover during the winter. My garage is heated, but it's hard to do anything without fumes or dust being sucked up into the house by the heating system. I'm at the point where I need to do things like grind, weld, and other fun stuff, which means I have to wait for weekends when the wife visits friends and hope that the stink clears out of the house by the time she gets home. Not many weekends like that.

The engine and other large (and small) purchases tapped the bank account pretty heavily, so it's time to rebuild and reflect.

Besides, I really love skiing and need to get out and exercise during the winter. Once the snow melts I'll have more time to actually make some progress. The bulkhead is next up, and I expect it will take a lot of effort and pain by the time it's done. Sweat equity? I'm talking blood equity. Taking apart the passenger side footweels shredded my knuckles.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Yeah, but I'm still skiing. I've been out on the slopes with my daughter (2.5 years old) ever since race season ended, and it's been an absolute blast. Just hearing her giggle every time she falls and the little "wheeeeee" every time I let her go fast has absolutely captivated me.

I've also got the itch to ride my road bike(s), which is generally more healthy than grinding and painting a rusty bulkhead. I have a whole 'nother race season coming up.

However, the temperatures are slowly climbing and the snow is starting to recede. Once they get to the 50s I'll probably start tackling the bulkhead again. That way I can roll it out into the driveway and grind, weld, and paint to my heart's content without sucking up the dust and fumes into the heating system.

Until then, I look forward to long runs with my daughter and long rides on my bike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior