Artistic Shots- Well thought out, framed (positioned), artistic shots only please.

photo_i

Explorer
We got pretty lucky back then as just before we went there some really heavy rain fell and Wave was flooded.

Wave reflections.jpg

So was Monument Valley :snorkel:

Monument Valley Puddle.jpg

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Look at the shapes in that first shot, amazing.

What's with the lottery? Do they limit the number of people?

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
on-line permits can be obtained using the calendar option only. You can obtain a permit up to four months in advance. If you are planning a trip less than four months in advance, you have two options: you can check the calendar on the permit page to see if any slots are available, or you can try to obtain a walk-in permit the day before you wish to hike.

If there are 10 persons or less seeking permits, you will be issued one on the spot for the next day.

So you can just walk up on the day and get a permit anyway? But you take the risk of turning up and there being more than 10 people in which case you may not get in?

photo_i

Explorer
So you can just walk up on the day and get a permit anyway? But you take the risk of turning up and there being more than 10 people in which case you may not get in?

That's right. If you are one of lucky 10 you get in, if not - try again another day. :)

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I think you could spend a full year in that area of Utah/Arizona alone and not hike all the possible places it offers. It's probably one of my favorite places to visit!

WininUtah

Adventurer
Those are terrific shots, the color in that MV lust jumps. I've had Wave permits twice, it is a beautiful place. If you miss Wave permits ,you can try for South Coyote Buttes, a great area in it's own way.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Like most good photos, a combination of luck, experience and skill is required, it's just the ratios that change. If you have the only photo of a crashing 747 because you were taking an iPhone snap of your wife and the plane crashed in the background you were 100% lucky, if you make a masterpiece of a green pepper in the kitchen you are 100% skilful. Most photos are somewhere in between.

Obviously the luck in this case is quite literal, you have to win a lottery (and after setting a date months in advance it had to rain the day before maybe), but having won how many people on that same day made as good a photo? Of course we'll never know but I suspect "not many" would be the answer. Then it's possible experience came into play, if you'd been there before you may have a good idea as to what it will look like and rush to get the shot before the crowds arrive, or you may know that the sun will cast a crap shadow at around 11AM, or you may know that a pool forms in a particular spot and it's likely to be usable to get a reflection of the monuments.

Finally when luck and/or experience places a scene in front of you skill and an "eye" are required to make the most of it.

So at the risk of this becoming a mutual-admiration society well done Oksana.

Last edited:

Pathfinder

Adventurer
A different view of Monument Valley

Monument_Valley_in_snow-XL.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle