Artistic Shots- Well thought out, framed (positioned), artistic shots only please.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Sitting on our dock watching some storms roll through. I'm pissed off because I was trying various settings and when the lightning would hit, the strikes were so large they were over-exposing the image. I've tried in CS5 to tone it down, but cant recover the highlights to get the lightning bolts to show up right :(

These suckers were spider webbing all across the clouds. Man was it a beautiful sight!

Admiring-Mother-Natures-Beauty-L.jpg

Those two planets in the upper left are Venus and Jupiter

Settings were - Canon 5D MKII with a Canon 16-35 f/2.8 lens - ISO 3200 8second exposure at f/2.8

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Yeah, sorry for not stating that. I was set at 16mm and it's on a full frame body, so that's a true 16mm and not cropped.

This is somewhat grainy on my monitor because of the ISO3200. I'm thinking of having it printed to see what the grain looks like when put on paper. I've found that a lot of the grain we see on the monitors is lost when printed

I'll let you know the results when we get it delivered

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Thanks!

I'm not sure where the purple came from? Must be because this was only a few hours after sunset, so there must have still been some glow in the skies that the naked eye couldn't detect, but the long exposure picked up?

Zoltar

Observer
I was set at 16mm and it's on a full frame body, so that's a true 16mm and not cropped.

I thought it might have been from the reflections of the house lights. I have that lens, but have been using it on a 1.6 body, however my 5dMii was delivered YESTERDAY, so I'm pretty excited to get out and start shooting with it. I'm sure all my shots will look as good as yours with the same equipment, right? Right? :)

I'll let you know the results when we get it delivered

Very interested in print details and quality.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Cool shot Pat. I enjoy trying to capture lightning storms and get plenty of chances around here during the summer monsoon season.

I like the stars you picked up with the ISO 3200 but that may be a factor in why the lightning strikes are blowing out some of your captures. You might have to balance less detail in the stars by using a much lower ISO. I usually am around ISO 200 for my lightning captures.

There are always trade offs though. I like the star details around the thunderhead in your shot. :victory:

photoman

Explorer
I agree with Brad on the ISO. I think 1600 or lower and a longer exposure would have worked out better. Pretty awesome as it is though.

Snafu

Adventurer
It was a cold night...I always choose to go out and camp on the coldest nights it seems. I had a hard time keeping the camera still long enough to take the pics! Funny thing is, it was only in the high 20's but I didn't come prepared for that at all. I was all on my own and started thinking about how I could take shots that kind of worked with that. I'm no expert, just someone having fun. I kept walking into the mesquite and creosote trying to find something interesting :D

twist by snafu-kb, on Flickr

Depth by snafu-kb, on Flickr

Coming For You by snafu-kb, on Flickr

Rising Sun Exploding by snafu-kb, on Flickr

Snafu

Adventurer
Thanks guys, I'll have to build on that one and learn something then :)

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Carolyn

no retreat, no surrender
Winter

It's snowing here..... been a terrible on and off winter (Utah - I live up in Big Cottonwood) ..... looking out the trees all clinging with snow... guess I'll post a couple winter mountain views:
Quiet Storm
Bugaboo Mountains - British Columbia
The Next Pass

Attachments

• BugMts.jpg
    BugMts.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 2
  • QuietStormWeb.jpg
    QuietStormWeb.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 4
  • CMH2010.jpg
    CMH2010.jpg