Artistic Shots- Well thought out, framed (positioned), artistic shots only please.

MrGrimm

Mall Crawler
Oceanside Pier Surfer

_DSC9143.jpg

smslavin

Adventurer
Not getting out as much I'd like lately with the camera as my travel demands with work are pretty high right now. Managed to grab this one yesterday. Just a little bit of weather rolling in...

Slavin_110424_7191.jpg

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Night time fun

I was backpacking last week and after dark we decided to have some creative fun. :sombrero:

The high perch.

1104_lemmon%20creek_127-XL.jpg

The Portal
1104_lemmon%20creek_043-XL.jpg

A forensic scene nightmare :Wow1:

1104_lemmon%20creek_109-XL.jpg

The last shot before going to sleep

1104_lemmon%20creek_284-XL.jpg

Last edited:

taco2go

Explorer
These are all just great. :Wow1: Slavin I really like that last, almost monochromatic study.
Trevor- beautiful light painting on that sunrise shot- may I ask how long you exposed for?
Brad- you are getting quite proficient (and mischievous :)) at those night shots.

Last edited:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Thanks Joash, The friend I was backpacking with was a riot and had the energy and enthusiasm to climb around and play in the woods after dark. Fun stuff. :wings:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
How did you do the photos?

Just walk through the the deep dark woods with a head lamp and look for Zombies. :elkgrin:

It's really easy to do as long as you have a tripod and can control your exposure. I first light the subject with a brighter flashlight and use live view to get properly focused with the lens in manual focus so it stays there. The I set the exposure to between 20-30 seconds. I have the person stay frozen still for the first 8-10 seconds while I light paint them with an LED headlamp then they quickly walk or roll out of the frame. Continue light painting the background with the headlamp until the rest of the exposure completes. That gives you the transparent ghost image.

The longer the person stays in the shot the less transparent they are in the final image.

Sometimes it takes a few tries to get the light balance correct either with less light painting or higher ISO but after a few tries it usually comes together pretty well.

That, or just walk around and look for Zombies, both approaches work.

MrGrimm

Mall Crawler
Just walk through the the deep dark woods with a head lamp and look for Zombies. :elkgrin:

It's really easy to do as long as you have a tripod and can control your exposure. I first light the subject with a brighter flashlight and use live view to get properly focused with the lens in manual focus so it stays there. The I set the exposure to between 20-30 seconds. I have the person stay frozen still for the first 8-10 seconds while I light paint them with an LED headlamp then they quickly walk or roll out of the frame. Continue light painting the background with the headlamp until the rest of the exposure completes. That gives you the transparent ghost image.

The longer the person stays in the shot the less transparent they are in the final image.

Sometimes it takes a few tries to get the light balance correct either with less light painting or higher ISO but after a few tries it usually comes together pretty well.

That, or just walk around and look for Zombies, both approaches work.

Sweet! Gonna have to try this one out. Thanks. :victory:

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
A friend of ours brought the wife and me over to Jacksonville Beach for my wife's birthday. Since they're doing the lady thing and kicking back in the spa, I spent the day at the Bird Rookery at the Alligator Farm in St. Augustine. I dont know if I've ever seen so much 'L' Glass in one spot other than at the Superbowl, but it was quite impressive

The birding wasnt too bad either...LOL

feathers%20in%20the%20wind%20-%20alligator%20farm%2C%20st.%20augustine%20florida%20-%20photo%20by%20pat%20bonish-L.jpg

leaping%20snowy%20egret%20-%20alligator%20farm%2C%20st.%20augustine%20florida%20-%20photo%20by%20pat%20bonish-L.jpg

soaring%20egret%20-%20alligator%20farm%2C%20st.%20augustine%20florida%20-%20photo%20by%20pat%20bonish-L.jpg

mother%20%26%20chick%20-%20snowy%20egret%20with%20baby%20-%20alligator%20farm%2C%20st.%20augustine%20florida%20-%20photo%20by%20pat%20bonish-L.jpg

Heading back this afternoon if the storms hold off!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears