As a freezer, Engel 84 vs Snomaster Expedition 95 vs Dometic CFX 100w

john61ct

Adventurer
Whereas Engels proven by thousands of outback bashers over decades.

Does ARB actually make their own now? Still a swing compressor?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
There is a big range of temps for freezers. anywhere from 25F down to below 0F. What range do you need? Ice cream hard? Or just keeping frozen veggies, or making ice?

The three models listed will probably run very high duty cycles (80%+) in high temps. Reliability is important, but the single biggest factor is insulation, especially the thinnest area on the case. The thinnest area (by the door usually) will create a warm spot. If at all possible add extra insulation to the unit. Flexible or rigid foam, 2"+ if possible. Focus on the thinnest areas first for the biggest gain.

The reality is that with computer controlled manufacturing, a good AC compressor will last a very long time. So I would be focusing on electronics/control. Engel is basically the gold standard in this area in my opinion. The swing compressors do produce more vibration, if that is a concern.

As far as power usage, a unit with variable compressor speed to achieve the lowest cycle rate can save 10-25%.

Yes, the Engel is the way I'm leaning. I wish those putzes would release the platinum series in 120v land, already.

That said, dometic CFXs have come a long way, and the snomasters have almost twice the insulation. Those advances are why I am wondering if anyone has any experience comparing any of these in real life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998