Aspen X Trails Kelly Tear Drop build

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Well the sharing is over, I delivered it to Pocatello, Idaho yesterday. This morning it was in Butte, Montana head towards the Canadian border. Went over the Continental Divide at 60 with no problems. The new owner will most likely chime in soon. Great people. Glad I took the time to deliver it to them, and walk them through the whole trailer.

I am glad everyone enjoyed the build. Will be awhile before the next one. June build was set back, and I have decided not to move any forward. I will take the summer to rebuild mine, hit the FJ Cruiser Summit and the All Pro Expedition. Ride my bike a lot.

In Mesquite, headed home.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Great build start to finish, Many ideas and solutions for my build, Great pictures too!
Thanks for the ride..................

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks a million guys. Never hesitate to pm me with any questions. I will not say I will know the answers but two heads seem to be better than one in most cases.

I really want to build an Aframe, ground up, off road (my thinking of off road) trailer. I am saving money for frame work, as it will be aluminum and I do not have the aluminum gun. Will have to spend some time learning to weld it again I think. I think that will be my next project. I really like Blue Bruins idea, but I am concerned about weight on the next one. I can buy a Chalet roof for the trailer, and that takes a lot of the stress/design work away. Do not have the tools or access to them to make the roof.

Off to work on my trailer, ripped all the wiring out, all the gas set up, and may rhino line the whole kitchen in white. Have to build a new box for the PD electrical unit. Regearing and doing all the graphics over before the Summit and putting on new tires. This is going to be rushed to say the least.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Oh Bob, in your spare time can you build me a new trailer and deliver it to the Summit? ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FreeRangeFJ

Observer
Really looks great. New owner should be happy as a pig in $hit. :))

I am even happier than that. It was a great experience working with Bob on this project, although he did all of the work. lol. The trailer exceeds my expectations on many levels and I look forward to many successful adventures. I am in the process of arranging, rearranging, and re-rearranging my gear for my maiden voyage and will report back with a review of my experience. Thanks again to Bob for his tireless work and expertise on this project, I am honored to have met him and to have the privilege of owning a truly first class hand made example of American engineering.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I am even happier than that. It was a great experience working with Bob on this project, although he did all of the work. lol. The trailer exceeds my expectations on many levels and I look forward to many successful adventures. I am in the process of arranging, rearranging, and re-rearranging my gear for my maiden voyage and will report back with a review of my experience. Thanks again to Bob for his tireless work and expertise on this project, I am honored to have met him and to have the privilege of owning a truly first class hand made example of American engineering.

You just made Bob a happy man. If you keep the commentary coming he would also be happy as a pig......... :)

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks Jon for the nice words, I felt the same dealing with you. when I took on the job, I told you, that you would never wonder where the trailer was at, that it would have continuous updates, and questions, requests for ideas as the build went along. You provided many great ideas that will be incorporated into the next trailer. I am happy that your dreams of this trailer turned out like you expected. I do not make production trailers, and like I told you, it is not a trailer to me, it is my baby. One of kind, two minds building and designing what is best for the end user. It was great fun, to see your eyes light up when I pulled in, the smile was worth all the extra hours for sure. I am truly excited to hear how it works for you guys. Thanks for the opportunity to build it for you.

Bob

I'm very curious to see what you come up with for a trailer with interior standing room. As I've been reading your great builds, knowing I want interior room to stand, I've been taking many notes and the best idea I can come up with, with minimal height increases, is to add a VW or Ursa Minor pop-top. Keep up the great work! :)

fireball

Explorer
Hi Bob, one thing I did not see was a photo with the galley door raised. Was wondering how it worked with the foxwing awning? Most TD galley doors raise too high making a foxwing not possible.

Thanks!

dvsjw

Observer
We have one of his creations and the foxwing clears the galley hatch w/o issue. Some good engineering and thought went into it.

fireball

Explorer
I couldn't find any good photos of the hatch door open, but from this photo (maybe just the angle) wasn't sure if the foxwing would have clearance to cover over the open hatch:

41.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan