Aspen X Trails Kelly Tear Drop build

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks again!!!! Will have photos of the fiberglass on the drivers side tomorrow. Attached the plywood this afternoon/evening. The trough idea worked great, will do the glass the first thing in the morning, do the cut outs. Supposed to pick up rear door bows in the morning also. Need some hoses to finish the plumbing. Will hold off on the drain until the last as it makes it difficult to do anything behind it. Battery is all wired and ready for attachment, but may hold off on that until needed for testing things. Next few pictures should show dramatic progress. Too tired to do more tonight. Will not be going to Expo, need to finish this. Hate to miss it, but just do not have the time.

Bob

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Following pictures are of the plywood attached to the trailer. I run tech screws every 11 inches around the trailer and in all accessory items attachment holes. I glue the sides with Gorilla glue. All seams are siliconed, and the trough is filled with black silicone for attachment of the wood walls, then tech screwed along the bottom, there will also be silicone under the trough where it is not welded. Refill the trough with black GE silicone and drop the glass in, tech screw the bottom and the whole out line of the trailer, all doors are screwed into the steel frame also.

The side door is a Hehr door, they are truly the best door I have found, you close it, it sounds like a high end car door closing. The water heater is installed, along with the water entry and outdoor shower. The side light is screwed into the fiberglass and wood wall. The wall is 7/8ths inch thick when laminated together. All side doors and lights have RV putty at their base and will be siliconed around the outside at the latter stages of build.

Pretty much up to date everyone.

Bob
www.aspenXtrails.com
951 892 0958

Attachments

• Kelly Tear Drop build, glass attachment 001.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop build, glass attachment 001.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Kelly Tear Drop build, glass attachment 002.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop build, glass attachment 002.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 62
  • Kelly Tear Drop build, glass attachment 003.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop build, glass attachment 003.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Kelly Tear Drop build, glass attachment 004.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop build, glass attachment 004.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Kelly Tear Drop build, glass attachment 005.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop build, glass attachment 005.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Kelly Tear Drop build, glass attachment 006.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop build, glass attachment 006.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Kelly Tear Drop build, glass attachment 007.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop build, glass attachment 007.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Kelly Tear Drop build, glass attachment 008.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop build, glass attachment 008.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 63
  • Kelly Tear Drop build, glass attachment 009.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop build, glass attachment 009.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 61

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Finishing off the driver side, solar inlet and 110 inlet, also notice the water heater cover is the wrong color. I have had problems with the water heater, still have not received the white switch for it yet, and now the door is some real off the wall color. Will get pictures of the under sink area tomorrow after the silicone is done.

Also the fenders are temporarily attached with c clamps, to show the new owner the wheels and tires on the trailer. I would prefer larger ones, but what you gonna do?
Bob

Attachments

• Kelly tear drop 110 and solar connection 001.jpg
    Kelly tear drop 110 and solar connection 001.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Kelly tear drop 110 and solar connection 002.jpg
    Kelly tear drop 110 and solar connection 002.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Kelly tear drop 110 and solar connection 003.jpg
    Kelly tear drop 110 and solar connection 003.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Kelly tear drop 110 and solar connection 004.jpg
    Kelly tear drop 110 and solar connection 004.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Kelly tear drop 110 and solar connection 005.jpg
    Kelly tear drop 110 and solar connection 005.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Kelly tear drop 110 and solar connection 006.jpg
    Kelly tear drop 110 and solar connection 006.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Kelly tear drop 110 and solar connection 007.jpg
    Kelly tear drop 110 and solar connection 007.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Kelly tear drop 110 and solar connection 008.jpg
    Kelly tear drop 110 and solar connection 008.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 55

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
I have access to them through Eclipse. I paid for everything at one time, meaning fiber glass, trim, door grabs, and lights. I have two extra, I will find out what they cost me. They are halogen, not led, but can be converted if you want. They are pretty bright, two was too much, plus they get in the action packers area in the rear and too low in the front to be covered properly. This works out better.

I have to go to Eclipse the first of the week, can find out and pick up more.

Bob

TheThom

Adventurer
That'd be great - but I think they'd only work for me if they are around 6 inches or less in diameter (because they'd have to be on the pop up roof)? They look like they are larger than that. Any idea what the diameter is?

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Following are of the under sink area. All main hoses are now in place, water heater connected. Wiring ran for pump on/off and rear door light. The propane distribution container, the quick connect system, 110 outdoor plug and the outdoor 12 volt plug, entrance grab.

Bob

Attachments

• Kelly Build 001.jpg
    Kelly Build 001.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Kelly Build 002.jpg
    Kelly Build 002.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Kelly Build 003.jpg
    Kelly Build 003.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Kelly Build 004.jpg
    Kelly Build 004.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Kelly Build 005.jpg
    Kelly Build 005.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Kelly Build 006.jpg
    Kelly Build 006.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 42
  • Kelly Build 007.jpg
    Kelly Build 007.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Kelly Build 008.jpg
    Kelly Build 008.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 41
  • Kelly Build 009.jpg
    Kelly Build 009.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Kelly Build 010.jpg
    Kelly Build 010.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 43

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Good Day Jim!!!!

How has the trailer been working for you. Still love that design.

Hope to get some work done on the trailer today, but not on top of my game. Replaced knees, hip acts up. God this getting old really really sucks.

Hey, everyone have a great day, and those lucky ducks at the Expo, find Ace and P in his cornflakes. lol

Bob

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Have been working on propane box and lines, not much can be seen on that front as of yet. The Passenger side, has the wood on, the fiberglass on and glue, silicone drying. The side panel door for the quick connect propane is in, the side light is in, the door is set for pre drilling. Hope to have the roof on tomorrow night, then to finishing the sleeping compartment, and build the rear dear. Finally got the bows yesterday, were a little off, so corrected them today.

Bob

Attachments

• Kelly Tear Drop Passenger side glass 001.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop Passenger side glass 001.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 102
  • Kelly Tear Drop Passenger side glass 002.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop Passenger side glass 002.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Kelly Tear Drop Passenger side glass 003.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop Passenger side glass 003.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Kelly Tear Drop Passenger side glass 004.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop Passenger side glass 004.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 99
  • Kelly Tear Drop Passenger side glass 005.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop Passenger side glass 005.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 97
  • Kelly Tear Drop Passenger side glass 006.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop Passenger side glass 006.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Kelly Tear Drop Passenger side glass 007.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop Passenger side glass 007.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Kelly Tear Drop Passenger side glass 008.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop Passenger side glass 008.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 98

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
The Propex heater is in and working, all flu's are ran, with the exhaust clearing all obstacle. I must admit, I was concerned about this, but after talking with the distributor, decided to go for it. The exhaust nor the box get very hot. I ran the heater on full blast for an hour, with no heat build up near the water tanks. You could actually touch the exhaust, quickly of course without getting burnt. 1 inch of space between it an the water tank, and placed my fingers between the exhaust and water tank, not hot enough to make me move them, it was amazed. I will run it again this evening for an hour or so to be sure, before I button up the skid plates.

The following pictures are of the one piece fiber glass roof and front. It was made a little wide in a couple of places so will have to trim it. I do not glue these parts down, due to possible twist in the trailer. With all the screws and silicone at the rear door, the roof vent, the trim, the gas carrier, it is solid. Hope to have it done tonight, but headed out for a ride. Wanted to catch you guys up.

Bob

Attachments

• Kelly Tear Drop Build, front and top, one piece, in progress 001.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop Build, front and top, one piece, in progress 001.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Kelly Tear Drop Build, front and top, one piece, in progress 002.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop Build, front and top, one piece, in progress 002.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Kelly Tear Drop Build, front and top, one piece, in progress 003.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop Build, front and top, one piece, in progress 003.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 79

Old Sarge

Observer
The plumbing looks really clean! Build is looking good. I would change the 110 plug to a rectangular one, this fit would be better if its not to late. Looking forward to pics of the interior!

PS: I really like it w/o the front window!

Last edited:

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Which plug are you talking about Curtis? We are putting fuel tanks in the front window area, they will bolt directly through.

It has handles, light switches will be above the doors. Makes for loom, but I can learn. This heater has been the worst deal, not because it did not work, just worrying about it having the clearance. It is pretty amazing, but I have hours and hours and hours in it. Next time I will bring he exhaust out the side with a small shroud to cover it. Was just worried about fire, but it does not get as hot as I expected. I am running it full bore at 90 degrees outside. I doubt it will be run much, as you know how warm and quiet the thing is in the first place.

The frame is different than yours, and that was a real pain, due to the tank being larger than stated.

I have the front half of the trailer sealed will do the roof in the morning, cut off the excess and start the trim. Still have the back door to do, but I know what struts to use this time, so less stress there.

Are you doing thrill on the hill this year. I promised Hornsfan I would go. I guess we will be in Sedona during the Summit, good trails and lots of mountain bike trails. The week after we are planning to be at Telluride, and do Black Bear from Telluride. Should be fun if it all works out.

I am removing the window from mine. The window tinter cut the rubber seal and try as I can, can not get it to stop leaking when driving in rain. Odd sized window as I bought it on line. Doing the same thing with mine that we are doing with Jon's in the front.

Bob

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
I solder and shrink wrap everything I can. Some are just impossible, but 99% are doable. Location of the Roto Pax, with spare and Hi Lift jack.
Got in the fantastic fan and most of the 12 volt. All outdoor and galley 110 complete, still one in cabin to finish. Will get pictures when all is finished inside.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

Attachments

• Kelly Tear Drop, ground wires, fuel system and spare, jack mount 001.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop, ground wires, fuel system and spare, jack mount 001.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Kelly Tear Drop, ground wires, fuel system and spare, jack mount 002.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop, ground wires, fuel system and spare, jack mount 002.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Kelly Tear Drop, ground wires, fuel system and spare, jack mount 003.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop, ground wires, fuel system and spare, jack mount 003.jpg