Assuming the aligment doesn't fix it....(pulling to the left)

oly884

About 3 months ago I took my truck into Ressler auto here in Bozeman (Chevy/Toyota dealer yes, bozeman is that small) to get my clutch replaced. Well about this time I noticed that my truck was starting to pull to the left a bit so I had them do an alignment. Well, I get the truck back and no more pulling to the left.

Well, over the last 2 months I've noticed that the dreaded "pulling to the left" has started up again and has been progressively getting worse. It's to the point now where if I'm heading down the road at 45 mph and I set the steering wheel so I should be going straight, it pulls to the left to the point where if I kept it that way, I'd be in the left lane in 5 seconds. (I tested this :D )

First thought was air pressure, nope, front and rear same.

I visually inspected my steering comps. and they seem to be fine as far as I could tell.

Next thought was weight, I've heard of the issue before "Toyota Lean"
It made sense, I have myself, my engel 45, and my gas tank ALL on the drivers side so it would make sense if the truck pulled to the left with me, the engel and a full tank of gas. However, it pulls equally the same full tank or not, passengers or not. And I even put 160# of sand on the passenger side to no avail.

The truck is in again with the problem explained to them so this thread is to see if any one else has had similar problems.

Oh and I've just been driving on the road, no pot holes nothing. So, nothing should have caused the alignment to be out of whack unless it was simply done poorly.

Thanks in advance.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Tire pull is possible. Did they rotate your tires when they did the alignment?
Any odd wear on the tires?

Dragging brake could cause it as well but I would think it would be even worse when braking.

Start inspecting the A frames and mounts. Maybe a control arm or frame mount has cracked and is bending. I have seen alarming pictures of where the lower control arm mounts have cracked and starting to pull away from the frame. :smilies27

Also inspect the Idler and steering arm for cracks.

What year is the truck? there was a recall for a drag link issue but I don't recall the years it coved. Free alignment at time of repair if its in the range.

oly884

Grim Reaper said:
Tire pull is possible. Did they rotate your tires when they did the alignment?
Any odd wear on the tires?

Dragging brake could cause it as well but I would think it would be even worse when braking.

Start inspecting the A frames and mounts. Maybe a control arm or frame mount has cracked and is bending. I have seen alarming pictures of where the lower control arm mounts have cracked and starting to pull away from the frame. :smilies27

Also inspect the Idler and steering arm for cracks.

What year is the truck? there was a recall for a drag link issue but I don't recall the years it coved. Free alignment at time of repair if its in the range.

I don't know about them rotating the tires, I have myself on a regular basis though.

Dragging brake is possible, I'll check that.

If the A-frame is cracked and bending, that would be VERY bad.

The truck info is in my sig. it's an '04 taco.

Hopefully it's the alignment, but since the last alignment didn't fix it, I'm a bit skeptical. However, hopefully they will get it figured out.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Grim Reaper said:
Tire pull is possible.

There is a relay rod recall that covers all torsion rod suspension IFS trucks AFAIK, so '86-'96 pickups and 4Runners. Is that the one you're thinking about?

I was thinking tires, rotate and see if it changes. If the pull is the same, then it's probably not a balance or out-of-true problem with a tire or wheel. My thought is to also check ball joints and tie rod ends for excessive wear.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Check your brakes!

Grim Reaper said:

I had a similar problem and it was due to sticking pistons in my caliper. Take your wheel off, remove your brake pads and make sure that your pistons are free to move. The problem was also evident when braking, it would pull to one side.
Good luck.
P

oly884

p1michaud said:
I had a similar problem and it was due to sticking pistons in my caliper. Take your wheel off, remove your brake pads and make sure that your pistons are free to move. The problem was also evident when braking, it would pull to one side.
Good luck.
P

Ok, i'll check that, completely escaped my mind that the brakes could be to blame, thanks!

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
DaveInDenver said:
There is a relay rod recall that covers all torsion rod suspension IFS trucks AFAIK, so '86-'96 pickups and 4Runners. Is that the one you're thinking about?

I was thinking tires, rotate and see if it changes. If the pull is the same, then it's probably not a balance or out-of-true problem with a tire or wheel. My thought is to also check ball joints and tie rod ends for excessive wear.

Thats the one I think.

86? I thought it was 2nd gen runners from 89? I was surprised because it was my understanding my 86 was not effected. Better go look at alldata and check again and make sure they didn't start coveriing mine as well. I sure wouldn't mind the free alignment. :D

Edit:

Well I just talked to the dealer about mine now that you got me thinking.

Supposedly my truck is not covered according to the VIN. I was told that the recall would cover all the vehicles with that part number. So I talked to the parts dept. 86 has the same part number as 93. So I called back to the Service and explained that your parts dept just told me it was the same part number....can you now explain why mine is not covered?

My truck was also involved in a wreck in 93 and something in the steering was bent or broke and so there is the very real possibility my truck actually does have a 89 or newer relay rod that would be covered by the recall. They are having the head guy or possibly the regional guy call me back and discuss.

Last edited:

oly884

The truck is back in my possession.

It was the alignment which leads me to believe that they did not do a proper/complete job last time i took it in (3 months ago)

They insisted that I must have hit a pot hole or something like that, which I didn't.

What they did do this time was give me the spec sheet that says what the alignment was before they worked on it and after they worked on it. It clearly was out of whack, no question there.

So, next time I get an alignment, I'll ask for the spec sheet to make sure it was done.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Grim Reaper said:
Supposedly my truck is not covered according to the VIN. I was told that the recall would cover all the vehicles with that part number. So I talked to the parts dept. 86 has the same part number as 93. So I called back to the Service and explained that your parts dept just told me it was the same part number....can you now explain why mine is not covered?
I got the recall notice, but I haven't been able to get a new part because I modified my steering to use the Total Chaos idler arm. That required drilling the idler side taper out to a 3/4" hole. For some reason Toyota won't just give me a new part, they say I need to have the replacement done by the dealer, who won't touch my steering because of the mod.

My understanding is that it's a question of the part being brittle and potentially cracking with the wheels at full lock. I've got a front Air Locker and 33" tires, so I'm not sure what to think. Anyway, that might be why '86-'88 was not covered, a change in production resulted in a bad part. I wonder if it's not really '92+ (the US assembled trucks). But they know by VIN where the final assembly was done and mine is a Japanese built truck and is apparently covered. I just don't know.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
oly884 said:
The truck is back in my possession.

It was the alignment which leads me to believe that they did not do a proper/complete job last time i took it in (3 months ago)

They insisted that I must have hit a pot hole or something like that, which I didn't.

What they did do this time was give me the spec sheet that says what the alignment was before they worked on it and after they worked on it. It clearly was out of whack, no question there.

So, next time I get an alignment, I'll ask for the spec sheet to make sure it was done.
Did they catch the Ball joint recall?

njtaco

Explorer
Don't be too confident in the before and after spec sheet...I could set up the machine on a perfectly aligned truck, lean on a wheel, print a sheet showing out of alignment, step away from the truck and print another "perfect" sheet after having a coffee. You would never know the difference.

Conversely, I can "manipulate" an out-of-line truck and print a perfect sheet- no tools required.

It really comes down to a trustworthy mechanic...even if you are watching him/her do the work, if you don't know enough about the job, it is easy to be decieved.

(I'm not saying this happened, or that you do or don't know the job...this is just a for instance.)

oly884

njtaco said:
Don't be too confident in the before and after spec sheet...I could set up the machine on a perfectly aligned truck, lean on a wheel, print a sheet showing out of alignment, step away from the truck and print another "perfect" sheet after having a coffee. You would never know the difference.

Conversely, I can "manipulate" an out-of-line truck and print a perfect sheet- no tools required.

It really comes down to a trustworthy mechanic...even if you are watching him/her do the work, if you don't know enough about the job, it is easy to be decieved.

(I'm not saying this happened, or that you do or don't know the job...this is just a for instance.)

The reason I suggested the spec sheet was more to ensure that they, at least, made an attempt to do it.

Last time it was "done" I had my clutch replaced as well and it simply could not have been done.

But thanks for the info! I'll keep that in mind next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger