Astro 4x4 Adventure VAN

Sharkfox

Observer
It's been 7-8 months since I've posted any trip updates to a trip that was already far in the past. Time to get back up to speed. Or at least make a feeble attempt.
I headed North through Washington and into British Columbia.
After an incredibly long and invasive questioning and property search at the border, (a story for another time) I finally made it into Canada. I Spent a little time in Vancouver but the real purpose of enduring the border interrogation was to mountain bike at Whistler.

I spent two days biking. Conclusion: Pedaling is for suckers. Downhill riding is where it's at!
The trails, scenery, accommodations, and conditions were world class.
Here's the Crankworx line.

There were a few cool rigs in the parking lot. I had the 2nd coolest Astro there.

Sharkfox

Observer
Thanks, I better keep this thing rolling.
I've skipped a lot of the details along the way but in an effort to catch back up to present time, I'll just hit the highlights.
I passed through NW Montana and spent some time around Glacier National Park. Late September is a pretty picturesque time to visit.

Did a little fly fishing. Couldn't resist the crystal clear streams.

I dipped back into Canada to explore Waterton Lakes. No border interrogation this time. Just a passport exchange, smile, and I was through.

Not a single ripple on the lake. This kayak could change that...

After quitting my desk job, I still had a stack of my business cards in my wallet for some reason. It was a rather cathartic experience burning them under a starlit sky one by one as my ex-colleagues wasted away at their cubicles.

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
Luckily the battery fit (barely) into the box. I also installed a T-Max controller and a fuse block in the box to handle all the accessories.

That last picture kind of spills the beans for the next post..

Did you vent the box to the outside somewhere? I think I've read you should always do that when mounting your house battery in the van?

In that last picture...is that a propane setup coming?

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
You da MAN! I just got a PM with an amazon link, 50" with a 49.5" throw for only around $50 for the set... waaay better price as most were over $300+! That seller also had various other sizes rated up to 400lbs... THATS what I'm talkin 'bout!
Thanks anyhow, keep the videos coming, gracias.

PM sent re sliders.

Awesome van btw. Great project, great thread. Thanks for sharing. You inspire me to finish mine!

Can I get some info on the bike mount? Sorry to add to the questions but trying to figure out a way to mount two bikes to the back of my van. Don't need a swing out for the tire so had thought about using your hinge idea for the mount but like your bike mount too.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Here's the amazon link for the 400lb slides I mentioned... FWIW

Link: http://a.co/1bF1Nb7

I have no experience with the drawer slides in question but this is the only review of them I found:

"Misleading advertising .DON'T BUY THESE! Unless you are going to make a drawer out of AIR and only put Styrofoam in them.I have had 6 people look at this Item the way it is listed and then asked "how much weight a drawer with these guides will hold" and guess what they all said 400 pounds. Figureli really should list the weight capacity for the most common use for drawer guides. A DRAWER - Horizontal- Who uses guide rails vertical. I know that person is out there and these will work great for them. The current add and description does not state 400 pound rating is straight up. When I contacted Figureli they made no offer to correct this or to compensate us for their mistake. Do not but these!."

A common problem IME with drawer slides is their rated load capacities can be interpreted multiple ways and it's typically the greatest possible value that's advertised.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I have no experience with the drawer slides in question but this is the only review of them I found:

"Misleading advertising .DON'T BUY THESE! Unless you are going to make a drawer out of AIR and only put Styrofoam in them.I have had 6 people look at this Item the way it is listed and then asked "how much weight a drawer with these guides will hold" and guess what they all said 400 pounds. Figureli really should list the weight capacity for the most common use for drawer guides. A DRAWER - Horizontal- Who uses guide rails vertical. I know that person is out there and these will work great for them. The current add and description does not state 400 pound rating is straight up. When I contacted Figureli they made no offer to correct this or to compensate us for their mistake. Do not but these!."

A common problem IME with drawer slides is their rated load capacities can be interpreted multiple ways and it's typically the greatest possible value that's advertised.

As far as I can tell whoever wrote the review just didn't know how to read. All the info is in the ad, and according to the ad when the slides are used in a standard drawer configuration they're good for 400#. IOW, when the slides are attached to the side of a drawer, just like in your kitchen, they are considered vertical and good for 400#. If you lay them flat and mount them under something, like someone doing a slide for something like an ARB fridge might do, they are considered horizontal and only good for 50#. That info is all there in the ad.

Sharkfox

Observer
Can I get some info on the bike mount? Sorry to add to the questions but trying to figure out a way to mount two bikes to the back of my van. Don't need a swing out for the tire so had thought about using your hinge idea for the mount but like your bike mount too.

Think about how a bike rack attaches to typical crossbars on a car roof rack. Usually two mounting points that attach to parallel bars. I just created two horizontal mounting bars so any bike rack could clamp to them. I'm sure figuring out a way to make a rack and bolt to the hinge pins would be fairly straight forward. I originally wanted to have a rear ladder on the passenger side door that I could clamp a bike rack to. Might be worth looking into. Good luck!

Think about how a bike rack attaches to typical crossbars on a car roof rack. Usually two mounting points that attach to parallel bars. I just created two horizontal mounting bars so any bike rack could clamp to them. I'm sure figuring out a way to make a rack and bolt to the hinge pins would be fairly straight forward. I originally wanted to have a rear ladder on the passenger side door that I could clamp a bike rack to. Might be worth looking into. Good luck!

Thanks for the info! I have really enjoyed your thread and your engineering!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior