Astro AWD "Stroverlander"

Stroverlander

Adventurer
I've read your entire thread and I decided to register on expedition portal today is my first day So I'm new here I have a 97 lt awd that I've had for a couple years now and I've just started tinkering on. Just got back from a 1500 mile round trip to PA in snow and sleet. The van performed great! Hauling the wife and two kids and all luggage/toys lol. I am looking into lifting it I am looking at the journeys and the olv kits but I'm torn on how high to go. and I'm also going to be replacing the ball joints and engine and Trans mounts because my engine is also pretty much sitting on my tc and bbaljoints need to be done . Sorry about my bad punctuation and probably grammar. I'm just a redneck from Tennessee lol. great detailed write up!!!

Welcome to the forum xterm.jc, and glad you found the thread useful! I loved my '97 Safari AWD as it really excelled in snowy conditions.

I think maybe for lift starting points, look at your gear ratio and what size tire you want to run to help determine how much lift you need/want. I feel like 30" diameter is a great all-around size for our vans and doesn't affect the gearing quite as much as 31", even with GT4 3.73 gears but everyone has their own ideas.

Both Overland Vans and Journey's Off-Road have nice products, though it's easy to save some money by sourcing the lift parts like subframe spacers, hardware (longer bolts), shackles and leaf springs/add-a-leafs from other places. The adjustable OLV bumper brackets are a very nice item but not necessary.

Be sure to check out AstroSafariVans.com, tons of info over there and the other site as well.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Lots of great info in this thread:)

Hey racrx7, good to see you over here too and thanks! I feel like the Astro / Safari van scene is picking up pace again. :smiley_drive:

Your transfer case swap from the stock 136 to 236/246 on ASV is awesome and can't wait to read even more about it! :clapping:

xterm.jc

Not sure yet anything is possible I am just tossing ideas around right now. I just got the motor and Trans mounts and ball joints and idler I'll be tackling those first. I've got a new set of 215/75/15 all terrains on it already and a new set of wheels to mount the tires on or wait until these are worn out and get larger tires on the new wheels then. it's all stock right now

racrx7

Hey racrx7, good to see you over here too and thanks! I feel like the Astro / Safari van scene is picking up pace again.

Thanks Stroverlander. And thank you for sending me this link. I've got some reading to do:Wow1:. I replaced the drivers side motor mount today with a urathane one. That was fun! Will do the drivers side one tomorrow. Also need to figure out my shocks. Thinking Bilstein 5100 series. Got the rear length figured out, not the fronts. Also need to re gear front and rear. Thinking 3.73's with my 30" tires.

The 236/246 is working flawlessly. Got the girlfriend gonna help me edit the schematics you sent me. Add some color coding and try to simplify what's pertinent for our van. Stay tuned.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Not sure yet anything is possible I am just tossing ideas around right now. I just got the motor and Trans mounts and ball joints and idler I'll be tackling those first. I've got a new set of 215/75/15 all terrains on it already and a new set of wheels to mount the tires on or wait until these are worn out and get larger tires on the new wheels then. it's all stock right now

Your van will definitely feel tighter once you replace those parts. Nothing wrong with waiting and figuring out what you want, it took me so long, I never got around to it on my first van!

Last edited:

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Thanks Stroverlander. And thank you for sending me this link. I've got some reading to do:Wow1:. I replaced the drivers side motor mount today with a urathane one. That was fun! Will do the drivers side one tomorrow. Also need to figure out my shocks. Thinking Bilstein 5100 series. Got the rear length figured out, not the fronts. Also need to re gear front and rear. Thinking 3.73's with my 30" tires.

The 236/246 is working flawlessly. Got the girlfriend gonna help me edit the schematics you sent me. Add some color coding and try to simplify what's pertinent for our van. Stay tuned.

Sure thing! I was glad to be done with motor mounts, bet you will be too, haha.

Like I said, can't wait to see the t-case details because I am so going to be a copycat and will make life easier... so thanks in advance! :victory: Maybe that should be a few :beer: :beer: instead!

I hope you can find some suitable Bilstein 5100 shocks, they are definitely higher quality than Rancho. My fronts are Rancho RS999152 but there's also the monotube RS7000, part number RS7152. Looking at the specs, both are slight longer overall than stock with more travel overall - more extended length and slightly longer when compressed though this hasn't been an issue at all on my van.

Eventually, I figured I'd just bite the bullet and figure out some custom valved Fox or Bilsteins but if you find 5100's that work, that would be great too.

As for gearing, with stock 3.73 and 31" tires, seems like 4.10's would get me back close to stock, at least according to the gearing calculator on ringpinion.com.

xterm.jc

Well it's not my first van lol just the first astro and first awd. The first is/was the 86 2wd 1ton diesel box van that I've had over 10 years. It's been everything from camper to work van and family van

Stroverlander

Adventurer
That's cool, box vans can be very handy indeed but now you've discovered the power of the Astro AWD, haha.

I recently came across a photo of my two vans together for the last time before I sold the '97 Safari AWD and just prior to lifting my '04. I had just gotten the Safari back from semi-permanent/long-term loan to a family member and decided it needed too much work to keep (bad t-case and front diff, solid engine and Jasper 4L60E though) even though it had tons of sentimental value. I loved that van and funny being reminded of Stroverlander in its infancy! :D

tdVwvLp.jpg

nobodyhome

Adventurer
Hey bud, I didn't realize to did a 3" puck lift. I was ready to order one from Mike until I saw your hack on the RWD inner steering shaft.. SCORE! Great work, thanks for that.
I'm going to attempt a clone on your lift so I have some more reading to do.

Cheers!

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Hey, no problem, it's worked out pretty well. Let me know if you have any questions about any of it.

I just checked out the JOR site and see they are now offering kits with 3" body lift spacers. :coffee: Tough to tell from the photo but it looks like their steering shaft extension is a splined adapter that attaches to the steering gear. I think the longer RWD (or even longer Express / Savannah van) steering shaft is the way to go as it's a cheap, easy mod using a factory part.

I'm surprised they don't mention any of the things to look out for with 3" body lift like longer power steering line(s) and hose(s), exhaust hangers, checking/adjusting wiring, transmission/oil cooler lines, coolant hoses, airbox housing/tubing, etc. All of those things will require careful checking and adjustment to be sure nothing is stretched too tight or lack of clearance when the body gets lifted higher.

I was interested in a set of their adjustable leaf spring hangers but maybe would have felt better about it if they'd at least have asked before using photos from my build on their website, especially since I've never had prior dealings with them. Or maybe I should just feel flattered, haha.
batting-eyelashes.gif

philos

Explorer
I was interested in a set of their adjustable leaf spring hangers but maybe would have felt better about it if they'd at least have asked before using photos from my build on their website, especially since I've never had prior dealings with them. Or maybe I should just feel flattered, haha.
batting-eyelashes.gif

I'd send an invoice and see if they pay it.

nobodyhome

Adventurer
YEAH BACK CHARGE HIM!

Actually, I offered to give him my Astro-Jeep front bumper adapter design if he builds a few extra... want one?? haha

Stroverlander

Adventurer
I think it's great there is another company offering alternative lift solutions for the Astro & Safari. I expect images posted on forums will end up on other forums, etc it just feels different when a business does so without asking. Still, it's a minor annoyance at best. :)

Appreciate the offer nobodyhome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman